Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clothes!

ranalashae

Banned
A lot of you guys have pictures of your kitties in clothes. Nala is not really a fan of clothes, in fact if she has anything heavier on than a t-shirt she acts like she can't even move!! It's pitiful really. She will just sit there and stare at me as she wiggles around a little. Anyways, I think they are cute as heck!! But I always end up taking clothes back that she doesn't like. Should I just keep bugging her with shirts and sweaters and hope she gets used to them?! Or is my cat destined to never wear clothes?

Has any of your cats not liked clothes and then got used to them??

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i keep wanting to see if anyone tried my idea of putting them in a texture sock/tight so its more of a pattern on the kitty than a peice of clothing. The video of Butterball being put into a shirt and growling heh.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's pretty cold here most of the time, when I got Mo last January it was so cold that he was in sweaters from day one so I think he just got used to wearing clothes! He never really seemed to notice them right from the start though. Occassionaly if he has new clothes he walks a little different but he always carries on as normal and doesn't try to take them off. Even when he wears hooded tops with the hood or bobble flapping round his head!

Lisa Dobby

Lairian
I live in Edmonton, Alberta.. For those of you who don't know where that is... I am in Northern Alberta and if you think about Ontario... The Northern most city in Ontario is Dryden and we are actually 900 km further North than that. We actually had snow.. Yes snow 5 inches of it landed here on May 3rd! It is bitter cold here in the winter months. I have to get this kitten of mine used to wearing sweaters so that next fall when the weather turns bad he will be comfortable. I have 2 chihuahuas so yes I have a large selection of clothes that will fit my cat but as soon as I put anything on him he lays there and plays dead. He will not move. He will not get up. No matter how long I leave them on he just plays dead until I take them off. I tried leaving the room for up to 1/2 an hour and he is still in the same position when I get back. He really doesn't like the process of putting the clothes on either. He cries like I am trying to kill him when I try and put an outfit over his head. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
YEP!! Mug-Y throws a complete hissy fit if i put anything over his head BUT I've found if it's more like a waist coat and buttons or velcro's up it's not such a problem. His harness has leg holes and clips round his back and is not an issue so my mum is making him a fleecy waistcoat that velcros along his back in the hope we can get him to wear it and pretty kitty is sending me one that buttons underneath.

With regards to not moving, when i started putting the harness on Mugs (he's 8 and never worn one before) once i got it on i fed him his favourite treats and spoke soothingly, as he relaxed i moved the treats further away so he had to move to get them...over time it seems to be working!

Good luck!

X

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Rofl @ Lisa about Dobby playing dead. That's really funny. I wonder how long he'd lay there if you really pushed the issue? Ok so I'm mean.

I live in northern Ohio. My kitties (kitty now) always love wearing little sweatshirts from mid-October to about mid-April. They never liked them in warm months though, probably because they get too hot when taking their sunbaths.

wundrlust

Lairian
My Nudies love to be naked. They do tolerate wearing their sweats after I bathe them to keep away any chills. They do talk to me when I am dressing them but nothing horrible.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a large selection of clothes that will fit my cat but as soon as I put anything on him he lays there and plays dead. He will not move. He will not get up. No matter how long I leave them on he just plays dead until I take them off. I tried leaving the room for up to 1/2 an hour and he is still in the same position when I get back.

:LOL::LOL:
Playing dead is an interesting tactic. Sounds like he would rather be naked. That Dobby is a clever one!

My Nudies love to be naked. They do tolerate wearing their sweats after I bathe them to keep away any chills. They do talk to me when I am dressing them but nothing horrible.

My boys were nudists too. I only made them wear a sweater if we had to leave the house during the winter months. And even then I would warm towels in the dryer to put in their carrier.

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I read somewhere that putting clothing on a sphynx can throw off their balance, in some cases. Has anyone noticed this? I really want to get some cute clothing for Hank.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I read somewhere that putting clothing on a sphynx can throw off their balance, in some cases. Has anyone noticed this? I really want to get some cute clothing for Hank.

I suppose clothing could throw off or appear to throw off a Sphynx' balance if they didn't like the feeling of it. I think clothing preference varies from Sphynx to Sphynx. Before buying a whole wardrobe, amybe you could try a medium to light weight piece that is easy to put on and remove and see how Hank responds.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Leo walks around backwards if we put anything on him like he is trying to walk out of it:Woo: and Athena squats low to the ground like she is doing a army crawl. Have not tried anything on Deejay yet but they had told me they have dressed him for pics but that all so I am sure he is not a fan.

I am not sure about cloths throwing off their balance but I don't think it really could, it just may appear that way because they are not comfy or happy.

Gable HATES clothes! He will yowl, hiss and scratch when being clothed. Afterwards he will ignore me for the rest of the day in a little snit. It could be that he didn't like me trying to get his legs through the holes. I want to get him an actual shirt or sweater made for Sphynx and his measurements and see if that makes a difference.

Amaryllis on the other hand does not mind wearing clothes at all. She is such a princess. I want to get her a pretty sweater for the winter.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie likes wearing clothes when its slightly chilly or just normal but if its a tad bit warm she hates them...so lately she has been a naked girl!!! LOL

Inferno12

Banned
Johnny doesnt mind them. I make him wear them to stay warm or to not get sunburned. Although when he is naked he becomes a mad man:Surprise::Surprise::Surprise:. Its almost like he thinks he needs to be on his best behavior when he is clothed :Dizzy::Dizzy:

jovanna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hank is ok with wearing his harness when going for walks, so I will try him with a lightweight t-shirt. Now I have to figure out what size to get him.

JessLynn

Lairian
Belza doesn't mind wearing clothes. I bought her this really cute sweater but it's made of wool and I notice if I leave it on her too long she will become a mad cat and start freaking out running around everywhere until you take it off her. I have a hard time finding a small enough shirt for her because she is such a tiny girl.

holly_savage

Banned
Hibou doesn`t seem to mind them at all. We have pj, sweaters, T`s, tanks dresses. She`ll fuss alittle as you are dressing her, then it`s all good.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It has been so humid here I can't bring myself to have Snuffie model anything lately. lol I've even laid out a soft cotton sheet that is cool to the touch in the floor, she loves it. lol She has dragged all of her toys out on it and plays with them..its cute. No clothes for Snuffie in the summer time tho!

Back