Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clothing causing behavior change.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a question of no particular importance. I'm just curious really. Butterball is pretty wild and crazy. He runs around, hiding, attacking feet and what not. But as soon as I put clothing on him, he calms down and becomes super sweet. He stops running around. He will just sit next to you looking all cute. I don't get it. Anyone else observe this behavior from their kitties?

Inferno12

Banned
Same with Diego! He is all calm and sweet with his sweater on and then when I take it off he runs around all crazy naked! Its so funny

ktate88

Banned
Yep!!! Niles calms down instantly when I first put his sweater on. At home he stays calm when dressed, but at work he will run around after a while but only when the other kitties come up.

Now as soon as I take it off BAM!! he is off like a streak (pun intended) :LOL::LOL:

ktate88

Banned
Warren does this, too! Sometimes I keep sweaters on him to slow him down, I'm not going to lie. haha.

I am also guilty of this...:Pudently:

last night Niles would not go to bed and I had to keep pushing him off when he would grab my tank top strap repeatedly:Frown: Next time I think I will just put a sweater on him!

tessblack

Banned
Yeah both mine are that way too. When I take them to the vet or petsmart I always cloth them so they are not maniacs. Plus they look so darn cute.

JacksMom

Banned
OMG! I thought it was only Jack! From day 1, when I take off his clothes, he acts like a maniac the second the shirt comes off! Runs around like he's got ADHD! Or he's just bipolar, of which the onset is from clothing, not mental!

Ella_B

Lairian
And there I was thinking Berlin is an anomaly. She also calms right down when she's dressed, which is very rarely. There just aren't that many options when it comes to cute kitty clothes here and she's outgrown most of her sock 'sweaters'. Sometimes even putting her harness on her will slow her down for a while, but catching her to put it on is the tricky part. She knows to run when she sees it. :Laugh:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a question of no particular importance. I'm just curious really. Butterball is pretty wild and crazy. He runs around, hiding, attacking feet and what not. But as soon as I put clothing on him, he calms down and becomes super sweet. He stops running around. He will just sit next to you looking all cute. I don't get it. Anyone else observe this behavior from their kitties?

Exactly the same here.
With close Darwin always come to me and wanna cuddle or he goes to sleep.
Playtime gets put on hold.

TotenEngel

Banned
Its damn cold here atm so Smeagol spends most of the time with a jumper on, however, I worry that when I am not there to supervise that he'll get his claws/paws caught in it. So, at bedtime I always take his jumper off, at that point he runs through the house for a good 5 mins of so before coming to bed and crawling under the duvet!
I always joke that he wants to run around nakid while everyone else is sleeping! :Woo:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am also guilty of this...:Pudently:

last night Niles would not go to bed and I had to keep pushing him off when he would grab my tank top strap repeatedly:Frown: Next time I think I will just put a sweater on him!

Same here. Put the sweater on to keep him anchored to the floor.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

pooner

Banned
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: :Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical::Hysterical:
All these stories made me laugh this morning!! Pooner is just like all the others, clothes on equals sweet, sane, snuggle bug. Naked equals wild, crazy, insane streaker running through the house like a heard of elephants with an occasional crash, bang & boom!! We let him run naked a little bit during the day and the evening but we always dress him later in the evenings when we want him to calm down for bed :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Same here! We leave the kitties naked during the day and at night we put them back in their clothes so we can get some sleep! lol We usually don't hear anything out of them until 5am or so.

harperc

Lairian
Chlloe kinda freaks when she has a sweater on or a shirt. She doesn't move alot and walks funny like she is trying to duck under whatever is rubbing her back. My husband swears that she hates being dressed up and that she doesn't purr when she's in a sweater. He said that as soon as he took it off she started purring. (I've got to keep her warm though!) How should I get her more comfortable with clothes? Put them on her more and more? She does seem more mellower, but I am not sure if that is just because she is uncomfortable.

TotenEngel

Banned
Chlloe kinda freaks when she has a sweater on or a shirt. She doesn't move alot and walks funny like she is trying to duck under whatever is rubbing her back. My husband swears that she hates being dressed up and that she doesn't purr when she's in a sweater. He said that as soon as he took it off she started purring. (I've got to keep her warm though!) How should I get her more comfortable with clothes? Put them on her more and more? She does seem more mellower, but I am not sure if that is just because she is uncomfortable.

Smeagol does the funny walk thing - we always joke that the weight of the sweater is obviously breaking his poor little back! He also, never used to purr when dressed. However, time and patience seems to have made a diffrence - he makes a little bit of fuss when we're dressing him (usually when we're trying to put the second leg in!) but its no where near as bad as it was, and he still occassionally does the funny walk but again, its rare rather than all the time.
Its so cold here atm that I just persevered and I think he is now learning that jumpers=warm=not so bad!
Lot of fuss, treats, praise when you get them dressed helped us too!
Good luck with her!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sir Francis Bacon runs around like a mad man with or without clothes, but then he tires himself out, except for the elf suit, it had back leg holders, he was not pleased!! Gulliver is always pretty chill :Smile:

Attachments

• 827.jpg
    827.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 407.jpg
    407.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 26

Morticia

Lairian
Yes!! Morticia seems she's on drugs :LOL: when she has clothes on she sleeps and doesnt want to play?

Sometimes I put on some clothes on Morticia Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights so I can have a lie in at the weekends (otherwise I'm up at 5h30am) :Cry::Wink::Wink:

bellasmom

Banned
Bella does it too and def would rather be naked! When I put her harness on she wont move! She just sits there staring at me like *how could you!?*

pooner

Banned
Sir Francis Bacon runs around like a mad man with or without clothes, but then he tires himself out, except for the elf suit, it had back leg holders, he was not pleased!! Gulliver is always pretty chill :Smile:

Pooner has the same Skull sweater. Soo cute!! :ThumbsUp:

It's funny he doesn't always seem to want to get dressed but at the same time clothes are a security blanket for him. When he went to visit Santa yesterday he couldn't wait to get his clothes back on. He's pretty cute when we dress him, he puts his arms through the holes by himself :BigSmile:

Back