Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clumsy cat? Cat's toys?

AgaPinky

Lairian
Hello,

Did you notice that your sphynx are less able to jump and even walk between sofa and coffe table if there is a hole bigger then 50cm, than the other breed (actually I mean no breed)? He seems like have bad balance sense.
Is this the issue with whiskers making them less able to do so?

Also my Pinky is not enjoying a play time very much, yours also? He is scared of most of his toys. IS that connected with clumsiness?
Do you have any checked toys which are the favourites ones?

We didn't buy yet any big scratching toys as trees etc, any recommendation?

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello,

Did you notice that your sphynx are less able to jump and even walk between sofa and coffe table if there is a hole bigger then 50cm, than the other breed (actually I mean no breed)? He seems like have bad balance sense.
Is this the issue with whiskers making them less able to do so?

Also my Pinky is not enjoying a play time very much, yours also? He is scared of most of his toys. IS that connected with clumsiness?
Do you have any checked toys which are the favourites ones?

We didn't buy yet any big scratching toys as trees etc, any recommendation?

Toys are trial and error they all have different tastes have you tried a stick toy with a dangly toy?

As for jumping I think it is whisker related my boy jumps but his very clumsy at it bless lol

AgaPinky

Lairian
Yes, we had that, he played for a minute and let it go. Any balls and mice are scaring him a lot:(
Ahh so its not only Pinky!

I won't open the new thread, one more question, body type:)

Are your cats have problems with paws joints? Pinky especially left paw joint is getting "stuck" every time after jump or even walk, he is lumping then until I push it the other way round and it's getting back to normal, is that also normal for sphynx or he had some injury in the past? I wish to do sth about that, as he has it at least 5-10m times a day and I guess it might hurt him:(

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No I've not heard of that I'd mention that to the vet perhaps he had injury in the past I could tell maybe one the more experienced have but I'd mention that paw to the vet

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That doesn't sound normal, I would have a vet take a look at that joint.

As far as toys scaring him, maybe he isn't fully adjusted to your home yet?

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My sphynx are clumsy,but they can jump so high and do flips in the air. I would definately have the vet look at your Pinky's paw.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe his paw/joints are bothering him and it's stopping him getting the same enjoyment out of playing with toys.

I would definitely get it checked out.

When we first got Dippy he was scared of one toy - a kong wubba. I think it was just nerves.

Our favorite toys here are da bird, cat catcher and the laser pointer :)

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You need a vet to look at your cat for a general health check. This breed is usually agile and like to ride on shoulders,so jump high to do this maybe his ears are sore.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Maybe his paw/joints are bothering him and it's stopping him getting the same enjoyment out of playing with toys.

I would definitely get it checked out.

When we first got Dippy he was scared of one toy - a kong wubba. I think it was just nerves.

Our favorite toys here are da bird, cat catcher and the laser pointer :)

Yes same toys except what is cat catcher?!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Izmae doesn't like any toys. She has one she will play with once in a million years.
I think sphynx are clumsy and I would have the vet look at your baby for the joint, paw problem.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love that Pinky is scared of toys, I think each cat is a little different with them. MiniE will play with anything, toy or not, while Emma Leigh is too good for most toys. Emma only plays with her pink baby or heart catnip toys, all others are inferior to her.

As for the joint, this does sound like a past injury and you should probably have the vet take a look at it on your next visit. So glad you joined the lair and keep the questions coming :D

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My newest rescue Emma seems WAY more clumsy than my other 3 nakked babies. She is a bit smaller tho with shorter legs (not a bambino kinda short tho) and I think that may have something to do with it. Toys are a hit or miss with my gang. Most of the time the would rather play with my stuff than their own toys.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some kitties just don't care for toys, or perhaps you have to keep introducing new ones. How old is your kitty and how long have you had her. She may not be adjusted yet. Laser pointers almost every cat enjoys. One of my kitties likes soft plush toys, one loves feather toys, one bells, one balls etc...cat trees are a must. Yes I find sphynx a bit clumsy at times. My one boy is getting more coordinated and riding shoulders now but he still has a oops here and there. Great to have you on the lair.

Taraforweb

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our Neenee is a chaser. She won't play with cat toys... Unless its something you can drag in front of her so she can chase it. Even the Cat Dancer- she won't jump up at it but will chase it if on the ground.

The one exception is her blue mouse filled with catnip. She will sometimes play with that.

Once we knew she was a chaser, we developed a variety of chasing games. Sometimes we pull out her cat tunnel ( she LOVES that thing), sometimes we drag out the down comforter and let her chase things in between the mounts of down- her new favorite game, and sometimes we drag thing under a rug or blanket for her.

You have to find out if your cat is a jumper, chaser, tunneler, etc. once you understand the basic way they like to play, then you can give them variety within that.

Ill drag something new into the living room and Neenee sits there with an "oooo, what's this?" look.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You adopted Pinky as an adult. I wonder if he is scared of certain toys because of some past trauma? Also, sometimes balance problems have to do with inner ear issues (at least in humans). @pussiette

That said, my experience with 2 sphynxes is that they are indeed clumsier than most cats. Eudo is perhaps still at an awkward stage (but at least he no longer runs into things head first!). He also likes to go where it's wet (bathroom pedestal sink, edge of the bathtub), so he slips sometimes. Ickus used to make a loud THUMP! whenever he jumped down off something. Eudo will jump at a back or shoulders and sometimes not quite make it. I currently have scratches all over my back from an incident just a couple of days ago.

Eudo is losing interest in some of the toys he used to like. (Maybe he is disillusioned with them after THE RAT KILL. lol) He fetches now and then but not like he used to. He also is less enthusiastic about Da Bird. (He still loves his fun tunnel, though.) I am thinking about getting a laser, but he really likes to catch and carry his "prey" in his mouth (he's a wild animal, a hunting tiger!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!), so I am concerned that he might find a laser frustrating or unfulfilling. Finally, you hear on this site from a lot of people who have kittens (that are VERY playful), but being older your Pinky is going to be less playful than these tykes, so their activity levels probably shouldn't be compared.

AgaPinky

Lairian
Hi All, Xmas time is always so busy, didn't have time to come here.
Thanks for sooo many replies!

So it's not only Pinky who is clumsy, he is not jumping at all, running 5-15 min before sleep time, playing with my hairbands, laser pointing and chasing lights from outside on the wall, or chasing some toys with bell, that his only playtime which is max 10-15 mins a day only (unless he is doing that when I'm out but I don't thinks so), he doesn't like his balls, mice, I bought also small fish on batteries which is swimming up and down in the jar and he sometimes enjoys that. We ordered a cat tree (I chose one 1,10 meter high and with ladders inside so he hopefully he won't be scared of walking on it), I'm working with babies and they love tunnels, why the heck I didn't think of it :D I'll get him tunnel as well ASAP.
He is with us 2,5 months now, I think he completely got used already to the new house, so it's not the house which scary him.
Paw problem that might be connected, I will ask the vet next time.
I know that in his previous house they had a big dog and small children and he was scared of them all days, so he was mostly active at night and hiding under the sofa all days. I wish to talk to his previous family, but it's impossible.
XX

Back