Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Clumsy Sphynx cats?

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, or if its somewhat of a breed trait, or perhaps Dobby is still just learning his own body and coordination. My little dude is not the most graceful, falling when jumping, grabbing ledges and not quite climbing up, etc. I'm pretty sure this even led to his busted tail incident a couple months ago...
I'm just curious if anyone else's Sphynx have less than cat-like grace?

I've heard that whiskers and fur both have to do with cat balance, and senses, since the sphynx have little to no fur, (whiskers or eye lashes) I thought it might have something to do with it. Just curiosity, no real urgency on this one.

Shane

Toa and Ross

Staff member
This is so familair! From my 3 sphynxes only Ross is a good jumper. He can jump pretty high and delecate.
Toa and April are trying but are so clumbsy. I saw Toa falling at least a hunderd times when he tried to jump on something. When he jumps and notice he's not going to make it he just let himself fall. Not trying to break his fall,he just goes down flat! I admire him that he keeps trying:).
April is only with me for 4 days now and she's a bad jumper too. But she always tries to catch herself by putting her claws into something and then keeps hanging and meoowing till I come and save her.
Think it has indeed something to do with the lack of whiskers. But that's only what I think, don't know if it's true.

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
Dobby is about 5.5 months or so, and he's getting a little bit better about jumping, he can get up onto higher things, cleanly sometimes - but occasionally he'll misjudge and bust his butt, totally flat falling.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sphynx thing remember they don't have whiskers, whisker helps them judge spaces etc. My one is a ok jumper other one not do much most of the time yet he can climb a door!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our oldest boy was never athletic and yes a real klutz. He fell off the banister when he was a kitten and scared the living daylight out of me. Jouët is very athletic, but not a great jumper. Azura on the other hand is very agile and a super jumper. We often find as crazy kittens their bodies cannot always keep up, with their minds going a million miles a minute. Most broken or sprained tails over the years seem to happen to kitten more than adult cats. Once they mature and slow down a bit they tend to know their limitations a bit more in most cases.

Patti

Sphynx Asylum Dad

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Raskol is athletic, but a tad "boy football player" like. He kinda just powers through everything, not super graceful but makes up for it with brawn. Hattie is the ultimate clutz- she could trip over a color change in the rug! Scares the beejezus out of us up on the cat shelf- falls off the edge then just hangs there crying for help. Sobe is pretty graceful- most of the time, but she's had her share of slips, trips and falls. Just another endearing quality in the breed!

@KansasSphynxMom

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well and they have recently experienced tile floors and humidity which lends to a lot of slips and falls. We have been trying to catch them before they get into trouble but they are quick little buggers.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, or if its somewhat of a breed trait, or perhaps Dobby is still just learning his own body and coordination. My little dude is not the most graceful, falling when jumping, grabbing ledges and not quite climbing up, etc. I'm pretty sure this even led to his busted tail incident a couple months ago...
I'm just curious if anyone else's Sphynx have less than cat-like grace?

I've heard that whiskers and fur both have to do with cat balance, and senses, since the sphynx have little to no fur, (whiskers or eye lashes) I thought it might have something to do with it. Just curiosity, no real urgency on this one.

Shane

When we first got Liam, my husband and I always made comments about his lack of coordination. He would play chase a toy or laser light and crash into walls and furniture all the time. I was honestly concerned daily that he was going to cause brain damage. He's fallen off the bed a number of time just by rolling over (and he doesn't land on all fours either)!
Yet, he can jump like nobody else! He used to go from a rocking chair in my room onto my bed which was at least 8 feet! When I put the puppy gate up in my kitchen doorway (it's the tallest one you can buy), without a running start, he'd just sit at the gate and spring up and over clearing the top of the gate completely and he's land midway into the hallway!

Grayson is more graceful than Liam, but he won't jump. He'll sit and cry for me to open the gate.

Simon is more active than Liam and Grayson. When he was just under a year old, he'd push Grayson off the cat tree and poor Grayson would fall way down and not land on all fours.

Miss Violet is very coordinated, but she's not very active except for when she's going nuts on the cat tree.

Alastair, like Miss Violet is very active and coordinated on the cat tree. They make me very nervous when they go nuts on the cat tree because it's so tall. They prefer to climb up it very quickly and then fool around at the very top.

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
Weird - it seems to be on a cat to cat basis, but there's a decent number of clumsy sphynx hanging around (or falling ) out there. Apparently Dobby's parents are pretty agile, and coordinated, so it remains to be seen if he's going to grown into himself, and get some grace! ah well, he's charming either way. haha.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I call Max my Evel Knievel. He's fearless, adventurous, and usually has incredible mastery over his body. But when he is "off", boy is he off.

When he was a kitten he was quite clumsy. But we played (and still do) a lot with him; various games like chasing him, wand toys, and not limiting his stunts. Not sure if that has anything to do with his current mostly stable and acrobatic parkour antics.

But I've heard, more often than not, that Sphynx are clumsy. heee.

Back