Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coated outcross pics

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Because somebody told me too (yes Tanya you :LOL:)

Here are a couple of pictures of my 2 outcross girls. The odds weren't in my favor where coat is concerned (50/50 that a coated outcross will have a bald baby) but they are both healthy and very pretty girls.

On the plus side (big, big plus) the white girl looks like she might, possibly be odd eyed. Which is rather ironic as she is not from my odd eyed boy, or from my girls that have odd eyed in their lines.

So coated vs bald genes :ThumbsDown: but white spotting gene (?) :ThumbsUp:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Excuse the dirty rug. I always put a washable carpet rug in their box so the kittens don't get wrapped up in blankets during birth.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love the white one!! So you going to keep the white and breed her if she does have the odd eye? Very cool!!

Possibly. They are 5 days old and their eyes are pretty much open, there's definitely a red glow from the camera flash in one eye so, fingers crossed. Will see how they grow.

Typical that I spend $$$$ on an odd eyed cat and then one of my others throws one.:Dizzy:

Oooooh! Aren't they just the cutest little puff balls! Love them both!

I know :Adore: they are fat little girls. Didn't post about them as they are hairy not naked :LOL:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do outcrosses have the personality of a sphynx? they are adorable looking.

Definitely. They are just like Sphynx that happen to be wearing coats :LOL: Mine do everything the same as the naked version, including trying to sit on your shoulder like a parrot when you're trying to work. :Dizzy::BigSmile:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Does an outcross mean you bred a hairless sphynx with a furry cat? Is this to keep the gene pool strong? Just curious.

Yes, it is to bring stronger, healthier genes into the Sphynx gene pool. There was a lot of inbreeding originally and outcrossing widens the gene pool.

copy/ pasted info from my site:

I believe that outcrossing is an essential part of breeding and is used to widen the Sphynx gene pool, as well as adding "hybrid vigor" and strengthening the immune system of the Sphynx breed.

Example below;

Shorthair x Sphynx ~ WILL PRODUCE ~ F1 (foundation 1 kittens) All kittens are coated but carry the hairless gene.

F1 x Sphynx. ~ WILL PRODUCE ~ F2 (foundation 2 kittens) Half the kittens should be hairless, half will be coated.

BALD F2 x Sphynx. ~ WILL PRODUCE ~ F3 (foundation 3 kittens) All the kittens should be hairless.

BALD F3 x Sphynx. ~ WILL PRODUCE ~ F4 (foundation 4 kittens)~ Kittens are recognized as pure Sphynx by TICA.

Using a coated F2/ F3 takes it back a step, therefore my coated F2's usually produce 50% bald/ 50% coated.

Back