Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cocoa Butter on Sphynx?

krazedkazoo

Lairian
I've read about people using coconut oil on sphynx skin to moisturize or help clean dirty parts. What about cocoa butter or other non-toxic fats/oils?

I personally use cocoa butter on my dry skin and love the smell, so instead of getting coconut oil for the sphynx could I just use the cocoa butter?

Let me know if anyone has any insight to this. Thanks in advance!

momofmaxamillon

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have never used anything but baby shampoo, Dawn dishliquid and exfoliating gloves on my Max, I don't know this but just from having Max, I would think cocoa butter might tend to make them oily or dirty up even faster, is your baby's skin dry?

susi794

Staff member
Don't use anything unless you have googled all the ingredients to see if they are toxic to cats.
I just checked and found this:
Cocoa is the plant from which chocolate is made. Bitter chocolate is produced by pressing roasted cocoa kernels (seeds) between hot rollers. Cocoa powder is produced by squeezing the fat (cocoa butter) from bitter chocolate and powdering the remaining material. Sweet chocolate is produced by adding sugar and vanilla to bitter chocolate. White chocolate contains sugar, cocoa butter, and milk solids.

Since it is the fat from the same plant as chocolate and chocolate is toxic to cats, I wouldn't use it. Not for sure it would hurt them, but they lick stuff off and I am not sure it is safe, so I would err on the side of caution. Wouldn't use it on my cats.
Just sayin'.....
Susi

krazedkazoo

Lairian
Susi-- good point. I feel bad for not thinking of that!

Momofmax-- I don't even have the baby home yet! It never hurts to be over prepared! :BigSmile:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was thinking the same thing as Susi. Cocoa is what makes chocolate and chocolate is toxic. In fact I think it is the cocoa in chocolate that makes it toxic. But I could be wrong...I would do more research first.

susi794

Staff member
I was thinking the same thing as Susi. Cocoa is what makes chocolate and chocolate is toxic. In fact I think it is the cocoa in chocolate that makes it toxic. But I could be wrong...I would do more research first.

You're right, it IS the cocoa that makes it toxic.

sammisue

Lairian
Ok, I was actually going to ask this question as well, my vet actually told me to use just a small amount of cocoa butter as a moisturizer after I give him a bath and nobody on here had ever mentioned it so I was a bit worried (my vet actually owns two sphynx kitties btw) so I trust her, but I wondered about that as well... hmmmm....

krazedkazoo

Lairian
Useful link: Chocolate Toxicity

From what I'm reading it's the theobromine that is what is toxic. Theobromine comes from chocolate liquor which is the strong stuff used to make baking chocolate, etc. Cocoa butter is the fat that is extracted from the liquor.

So I think the more dark/rich the chocolate product is the more deadly, making cocoa butter on the less dangerous end?

I think that's how I am reading it. :Sweat:

suehallman

Lairian
why take chances. I would just use what we all have used with problems.
coconut smells very good. makes me want a daquri

Last edited:
Back