Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut Oil and Cat Litter Questions

NeonLily

Lairian
Wondering what brands of coconut oil you recommend and when you use it on your sphynx? Before or after a bath? Between baths?

Also, I am having trouble with tracking of the cat litter. I use World's Best Corn Cat Litter right now and it is tracking everywhere, it also gets all over my kitty and she licks to get it off which sometimes irritates her skin. I bathe her once a week but still have trouble with the litter residue on her skin. I have also tried wheat based Swheat Scoop litter, and also had trouble with tracking. I tried Yesterday's News but it stinks up the room when my kitty has a bowel movement because it doesn't clump enough. I'm not sure what litter to use! Anybody have recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
NeonLily

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use Yesterdays News only because I have a cat with asthma.
You can try the crystal litter.
I use Coconut oil when cleo gets dry skin.
Just make sure you use the natural oil.
I tried those other litters you tried and did not like either of them.
I will not use clumping litter because some cats eat it teh litter and it can clog them up.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My guys tracked litter no matter what I tried when we had the littermaid automatic box... we switched to the scoopfree auto box & it uses the crystals & it is soooooo much better! They still get a few pieces here & there but it is only outside of the box not around the house & the crystal litter is almost dust free so it helps them stay a little cleaner. As far as the coconut oil; I know some people on here use it after the bath, I use it before the bath to break up the dirt on their skin. I don't want oil marks on the walls & stuff so that is why I don't use it after plus my dogs would lick them non stop.

PitRottMommy

Banned
If you're using the coconut oil for her skin only, practically any brand will work. More importantly will be what type you're using if its being added into her food. For either purpose, I'd recommend going with an extra virgin version that has been tampered with the least. You'll want to find one that has only coconut oil and no other preservatives or additives, as this can potentially cause irritation to the skin. You can apply between baths to help condition the skin, or right before to help break up debris.

I would recommend changing bath soap if you're having a problem getting any type of residue off of her skin. Dawn dish soap is entirely safe and is going to be the best soap for getting anything off of the skin. Remember, it's even used on animals that have been effected by oil spills. It can certainly care for a furless feline with a little residue on her skin.

As far as litters, you're going to need to go with something a little heavier if you're wanting the least amount of tracking. the lighter it is, the easier it sticks to the feet. In addition, short top-entry boxes don't serve to help knock litter off of the feet. For this reason, I have designed my own catbox (we have three sphynx) that keeps about 98% of the litter in the box. We use Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious cat (http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3757482t400.jpg). Another one of our members was also having issues with litter tracking. I gave her specs for my box and she's now using the same litter we are with much improvement from her previous state. If she feels willing, she can post her reviews on the litter (and the box) here.

Best of luck :)

Brooke

Banned
If you're using the coconut oil for her skin only, practically any brand will work. More importantly will be what type you're using if its being added into her food. For either purpose, I'd recommend going with an extra virgin version that has been tampered with the least. You'll want to find one that has only coconut oil and no other preservatives or additives, as this can potentially cause irritation to the skin. You can apply between baths to help condition the skin, or right before to help break up debris.

I would recommend changing bath soap if you're having a problem getting any type of residue off of her skin. Dawn dish soap is entirely safe and is going to be the best soap for getting anything off of the skin. Remember, it's even used on animals that have been effected by oil spills. It can certainly care for a furless feline with a little residue on her skin.

As far as litters, you're going to need to go with something a little heavier if you're wanting the least amount of tracking. the lighter it is, the easier it sticks to the feet. In addition, short top-entry boxes don't serve to help knock litter off of the feet. For this reason, I have designed my own catbox (we have three sphynx) that keeps about 98% of the litter in the box. We use Dr. Elsey's Ultra Precious cat (http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3757482t400.jpg). Another one of our members was also having issues with litter tracking. I gave her specs for my box and she's now using the same litter we are with much improvement from her previous state. If she feels willing, she can post her reviews on the litter (and the box) here.

I'm the other member that's using PitRottMommy's top entry litter box recommendation!
I was using the ScoopFree automatic box with the litter crystals and LOVED it, but it was too expensive for 4 cats (I'd have to change the tray every other day @ $15 a tray:Dizzy:) I did, however, have to sweep a lot with the crystals...

Anyway, the top entry boxes are great, because whatever litter is on the cat's feet comes off when they jump from inside the box to the top of the box to get out. i'm sweeping a lot less now.

I was afraid when I switched to the top entry boxes that the guys wouldn't want to use them, so I got Dr. Elsey's litter with "Cat Attract" and they all took to the box immediately. It's 99% dust free and available at PetSmart.

NeonLily

Lairian
Thank you so much for your swift responses, I will get the coconut oil and will try out one of the cat litters, too. I have seen those crystal litters around, maybe I will give that a try. Thank you!!

NeonLily

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bought some coconut oil for George the other day. I was very surprised that I found it in the vitamin and supplement section of the store. Hopefully I got the right stuff. I was also surprised that it has the consistency of also Crisco.(very thick) I was thinking it would be a liquid.... I got the extra virgin type. I was reading online on the ASPCA site about in certain amounts it can be toxic.... Is that just for feeding them it or actually putting it on their skin?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
One of our new baby parents told me about A litter box they had gotten with A little spiral staircase on it so the litter is tracked less, that sounded like A great idea to me I was going to check it out next time I am at pet smart!

Brooke

Banned
One of our new baby parents told me about A litter box they had gotten with A little spiral staircase on it so the litter is tracked less, that sounded like A great idea to me I was going to check it out next time I am at pet smart!

Oh! A lady at work just bought that one...she got it because it keeps her 2 pugs out of the litter box...they like to go in there for "snacks".

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

I saw A comercial on tv the other night and thought of you, it was A dawn dish soap comercial, but they are raising $$ for injured and homeless pets. They had A duck covered it tar and they cleaned him with Dawn dish soap. So for every bottle of Dawn sold they are donating$$ to the animals! So nice !Thought you would like that.:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh! A lady at work just bought that one...she got it because it keeps her 2 pugs out of the litter box...they like to go in there for "snacks".

Boxers seem to like that snack too:Badly: Thats why our litter boxes have there own room thank goodness!

Back