Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil on Mommas?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone,

I thought one or two of you might have an answer for me... Is it safe to use coconut oil to put on Mommas that are nursing? I have the hardest time keeping my wee little ones clean- and I know it's because their Mom gets dirty in like .02 seconds and then they nurse and get all dirty from nursing.

Do you think using coconut oil on her before her bath would help with this?

J

Jinxlover

I used it on Blueberry when she was nursing and all my babies are alive.lol.
I'm not sure it helped, my babies were nasty dirty little grubs from 1 week old:LOL:

susi794

Staff member
I'm so glad to hear other people say this--so are mine always--and I always feel like such a slob because of it. How can they get that dirty?????

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It just bugs me because I feel like I can't take just random pics of them- the only time I send out pictures is RIGHT after I bathe them or else I look at the pics and nitpick every bit of dirt!

Do you think it would be safe to use ON them? I guess it would be since it's not like they are cleaning themselves- their Momma does that, but I'm always hesitant to try new things with the little ones.

And Susi- I hear ya, oh, how I hear ya!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Im not a coconut oil user, but my thought would be if it can"t hurt to digest it, get it in the eyes or nose, i would imagine it would be ok. It is a bit different then putting it on your grown cat as appossed to the little ones which are nestling in it with their eyes, ears noses etc.:Smile:

J

Jinxlover

I'm so glad to hear other people say this--so are mine always--and I always feel like such a slob because of it. How can they get that dirty?????

There little necks were always a mess, black and yucky. Wipes would not even get it off. How do they get so dirty?? I even changed there blanket 2x's a day...

As for oil on the babies I cant see how it could harm them, but I never put it on mine.I never though of it or I would have tried it.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gummi got coconut oiled today, and loads of grime was just falling off her as I rubbed it in! She is a dirty lil bugger. She isn't a newborn of course but seems no worse for the wear, she is soft and sweet smelling. Anyway, it didn't seem to hurt her. I never thought about not doing it, as it is food grade and all natural, so not like putting chemicals on her.

Shannon~ something about it may remind her of momma Boo, cuz she was licking it from the jar!

J

Jinxlover

Shannon~ something about it may remind her of momma Boo, cuz she was licking it from the jar!

It might smell like Blueberry.. I use it on her all the time...
Or she could just be a pig.lol..:Dizzy:. I know the rest of them are, they will eat anything.:LOL:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It might smell like Blueberry.. I use it on her all the time...
Or she could just be a pig.lol..:Dizzy:. I know the rest of them are, they will eat anything.:LOL:

Yes she will eat anything, did I tell you the first time she pooped here she pooped out a purple thread??:Surprise::LOL: Since then, I have pulled THREE strings out of her mouth! I don't even know where she finds them!:Dizzy:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, I DID it. I bought coconut oil and washed one litter using it- and they are sooo soft and the gunk came right off their chests. Positive note- as they were waiting for their baths, Momma was cleaning them off FOR me (hooray!). I also bathed her using it and wow, she is sooo soft now too! I have some before and after pics, but uhhh... They are pretty gross before and this is only three days after the last bath!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Someone mentioned putting Coconut oil on their hair...well I did it for grings and giggles the other night! OMG! It was like I had new hair! It was awesome!! lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It didn't feel greasy? Interesting :)

Not after I washed it out with Shampoo. I concentrated most of it on my ends because I have very thin (its so thin Im building a savings to get plugs or something within 5 yrs) and dry hair so it worked mostly as a deep conditioner on my ends so they didn't feel so harsh. It is not something I would recommend as a all the time use tho. Maybe as a once a month "hot oil treatment". lol
I've been having pretty horrible hair days lately due to the humidity and I just found it really helped.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, I DID it. I bought coconut oil and washed one litter using it- and they are sooo soft and the gunk came right off their chests. Positive note- as they were waiting for their baths, Momma was cleaning them off FOR me (hooray!). I also bathed her using it and wow, she is sooo soft now too! I have some before and after pics, but uhhh... They are pretty gross before and this is only three days after the last bath!

I don't know how they get so dirty, when all they do is lie there on a blanket.:Dizzy: Glad it worked.

Back