Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil Vs. Olive Oil.

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just thought I would share my thoughts on the Coconut oil/Olive oil used before bathing.
I used the Olive oil first, since that is all I had on hand. I had to put Ra on top of an old towel, since it was liquid. I thought it worked great as I massaged it in, and Ra enjoyed licking it off of himself (kind of defeating the purpose, but whatever). I had to use a bit of Dawn Dish soap on him to really get the Olive Oil off of his body, but it came up easily, rinsing him off and following up with some baby shampoo. Very soft, clean kitty was the result of the Olive Oil massage:)
This weekend I bought some Coconut oil to try. This oil is a solid, as opposed to a liquid, which I found easier to manage, as it melted as I warmed it between my hands. I love the smell of this oil compared to the Olive oil, and again, Ra enjoyed licking the oil off his body (again defeating the purpose :Dizzy:) I massaged the Coconut oil onto Ra, which he seemed to enjoy, even though he was STILL upset that we were having a bath day. (He never thinks he is stinky enough for bath day...I have to disagree).
I didn't use the Dawn on him this time, but didn't seem to need too...he washed up quite nicely with Baby shampoo. Result, another soft, clean, delicious smelly kitty!
( I usually add a bit of Bath and Body Works Lavender Vanilla body wash to the water, to calm Ra....I don't know if it helps really calm him...maybe it is more for my benefit:Wink2:)
All in all, both oils seem to work well for cleaning, but I enjoy using the coconut oil because it is easier to handle, and it smells good.
On both counts I felt like I was greasing a Turkey....:LOL::LOL::LOL:
I hope this helps anyone curious about the two oils...and I am happy to answer any questions I may have not touched on in my post.:Smile:

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
ROLFL at your turkey comment but it is soooooo true especially with the white ones!

I love using coconut oil, it does smell very good and it's a treat for them to be able to lick it off!!!!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I find olive oil is better used as if it was cream if Tau skin starts to feel a but dry input a minute but in my hands rub and then on him it soaks in and works like a bomb

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do you feel like the Dawn dries him out too much?
When I had my show persians I stayed away from dawn and goop because they seemed to make more problems for me.
Love the coconut oil for a quick bum clean also.

Love the greasing the turkey comment

Rwalkerg

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Did you notice if one helped them stay cleaner longer than the other oil?? I'm debating on which oil to use myself...

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We've used both oils on Cleopatra and I prefer the olive oil. First, it's only used on her dirtiest spots. She is pretty clean normally, so she doesn't need to be oiled all over (but I do love the turkey reference). And we don't use Dawn on her--her skin is slightly dry, so I don't want to dry it further. She is bathed with Drs Foster's and Smith's oatmeal shampoo. The coconut oil did not wash off completely, and she got dirty faster than she does when we use the olive oil. Her shampoo makes her smell like almonds--yummy!

elleinad8050

Lairian
does anyone know if baby oil is a safe alternative? i have used it before when i had nothing else on hand, put some on a rag and wiped hipo down and he bathed fine and didnt seem to take any negative effect to it and was uber clean.
i ask because i never see anyone really suggesting anything but coconut or olive so i am curious to know if there is some negative effect im unaware of?

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Heehee 'turkey'. I prefer olive oil probably because Graddy's skin is so oily. I find the olive oil is slightly less greasy or maybe it's just the brand I use.

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Did you notice if one helped them stay cleaner longer than the other oil?? I'm debating on which oil to use myself...

So far, they seem to be keeping him clean about the same length of time. It seems like Ra isn't collecting a lot of oil as much since I have used the coconut and olive oil on him...maybe I should let him get good and dirty and run another experiment on him. :Wink2:

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Heehee 'turkey'. I prefer olive oil probably because Graddy's skin is so oily. I find the olive oil is slightly less greasy or maybe it's just the brand I use.

When I used the olive oil (I used the Virgin Olive Oil) I used a small amount, because I wasn't sure how much to use, and I was a little worried about over greasing him and not being able to get him in the tub! He didn't mind either one, so I guess either kind would work for Ra. I thought the coconut oil pulled out the grease more, because my hands were brown when I looked at them:Wink2::LOL:

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
does anyone know if baby oil is a safe alternative? i have used it before when i had nothing else on hand, put some on a rag and wiped hipo down and he bathed fine and didnt seem to take any negative effect to it and was uber clean.
i ask because i never see anyone really suggesting anything but coconut or olive so i am curious to know if there is some negative effect im unaware of?

I have never heard of using baby oil, but I am going to guess it would be ok...it is an oil. My only concern would be if they ate it...other than that, if it works, why not?

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Seriously my coconut oil doesn't smell. What brand does everyone use?

I use the Nutiva brand. It is an Extra Virgin Coconut oil...food grade, not cosmetic, it comes in a white container with a yellow label. Mine smells like a coconut candy...

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you feel like the Dawn dries him out too much?
When I had my show persians I stayed away from dawn and goop because they seemed to make more problems for me.
Love the coconut oil for a quick bum clean also.

Love the greasing the turkey comment

I will have to try the coconut oil on his bum next time...I had read about this on here before, but had forgotten to rub a bit of it on his bum...I figured I didn't want to make him any more upset than he already was:Wink2:
I didn't notice that the Dawn dried him out..I wondered about that, and had kept an eye on him for an allergic reaction to the oil and the dish soap...luckily nothing happened, except for the evil eye I am always given on bath day. :Wink2:

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use the Nutiva brand. It is an Extra Virgin Coconut oil...food grade, not cosmetic, it comes in a white container with a yellow label. Mine smells like a coconut candy...

Mine is food grade as well it comes in a black tub with a whir blue and yellow label. It says organic extra virgin coconut oil. I don't remember the brand name. I have one for the kitchen and one for the cat. It's about 500 mL and costs 12-15 dollars

Callmemrsbill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Mine is food grade as well it comes in a black tub with a whir blue and yellow label. It says organic extra virgin coconut oil. I don't remember the brand name. I have one for the kitchen and one for the cat. It's about 500 mL and costs 12-15 dollars

I got mine from Costco for about $21.00...it is a huge tub. I mainly bought it for the cat, but then found how great it is to rub into my hands and feet....AND to put on toast. It is like a cure all for everything!:LOL::Wink2:

Back