Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil?

Do you use coconut oil on your Sphynx!

• yes

Votes: 151 46.2%
  • no

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • I'm considering trying it (please comment)

Votes: 85 26.0%
  • I pay between $0-$5 dollars

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I pay $5 dollars or more

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • I use it once a week

Votes: 66 20.2%
  • I use it once a month

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I use the "thick and pasty" coconut oil

Votes: 56 17.1%
  • I use the "oily" coconut oil

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I briefly perused this thread, and saw many people stating virgin/extra virgin etc... I did a lot of coconut oil research when purchasing it for my own hair/skin(which, btw, if anyone is interested, yes I love it for my own hair/skin)
There is no industry standard for "virgin" labeling of coconut oil like there is with olive oil. In the end, it really means nothing to differentiate between "extra virgin & virgin".
For myself I personally avoid "refined" coconut oil, in some cases refined coconut oil is made using solvents/lye. Refined is usually odorless & tasteless. Some refined coconut oil is crude, and not suitable for consumption. If its hydrogenated after refining, its melting point increases from 76F to 97F-104F. Ive only ever seen consumable coconut oil for sale, but then again I've never *looked* for a non-consumable.
Unrefined oil is usually labelled "virgin" or "extra virgin" or "raw" or may not even be labelled as such at all and could still be unrefined.

So big thing to look for when shopping for your coconut oil.... is it safe for human consumption?
Do you want it to melt in your hands? If so, make sure its not hydrogenated.
Lastly, the decision comes down to do you want kitty to smell of coconuts. If not, go for food grade refined.

Anyways, the point is you dont have to worry so much about trying to track down a specific type or virgin or raw and still provide the best for your kitty.

I personally like Trader Joes coconut oil, it has a pleasant scent of coconuts to me. Walmart local to me carries Spectrum Naturals refined coconut oil (as do most of the grocery stores now too).

I no longer use coconut oil on my sphynx boys. It took their stains right out without a doubt, but they were left with a bit of a residue which made them dirtier much quicker. I now use Pure Pet's Pet D'Greaser to bathe them...followed by Johnson & Johnson's Baby Bath.

I did like the coconut oil as lip balm for myself. :)
How do you use it on your hair? To coat your hair before blow drying? To use before shampooing? Tell me how as I'm intested (I have dry, damaged hair). Thanks. :)

NeyaBenz

Lairian
Yeah, I can imagine coconut oil on bare skin picking up dust and such.

I usually grab a small amount when its solid or dip my finger in when liquid and gather up maybe a small marble size(I have layered thick hair, longest at the waist). I then rub my hands together till it melts and work from the bottom up on my hair while its still slightly damp to almost dry. Its WAY to easy to go overboard when the hair is wet, and then you're the one attracting all the dust in the house (been there, done that). It's a lot easier to use on almost fully dry hair, because then you can add as needed, where needed without going overboard.
It's definitely helped my hair a lot, works great on dry hands, elbows, feet too in the winter.

I've also used it a few times before shampooing, more like a mask, using a lot. I would suggest shampooing twice if you do a heavy oil mask.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You wash the coconut off in the bath with whichever soap you use to bath your baby with it comes off easily it's used as a pre-bath thing not as actual replacement of soap

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yeah, I can imagine coconut oil on bare skin picking up dust and such.

I usually grab a small amount when its solid or dip my finger in when liquid and gather up maybe a small marble size(I have layered thick hair, longest at the waist). I then rub my hands together till it melts and work from the bottom up on my hair while its still slightly damp to almost dry. Its WAY to easy to go overboard when the hair is wet, and then you're the one attracting all the dust in the house (been there, done that). It's a lot easier to use on almost fully dry hair, because then you can add as needed, where needed without going overboard.
It's definitely helped my hair a lot, works great on dry hands, elbows, feet too in the winter.

I've also used it a few times before shampooing, more like a mask, using a lot. I would suggest shampooing twice if you do a heavy oil mask.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to try the coconut oil on my hair. Just one last question: Do you blow dry your hair after you put it on? I can just imagine getting a lot of "smoke" coming from my hair when I would blow it dry. LOL I've had it happen to me with other products too though.
My hair is thick, curly, wavy and has a great tendency to frizz. UGH! That's the part I hate (frizz). I can deal with the rest. :)

NeyaBenz

Lairian
Thank you. I'm definitely going to try the coconut oil on my hair. Just one last question: Do you blow dry your hair after you put it on? I can just imagine getting a lot of "smoke" coming from my hair when I would blow it dry. LOL I've had it happen to me with other products too though.
My hair is thick, curly, wavy and has a great tendency to frizz. UGH! That's the part I hate (frizz). I can deal with the rest. :)

It can help a lot with frizz. I stopped blow drying my hair years ago, it makes my wurly hair into frizz haven. Maybe try blow drying on warm or cool vs hot setting when you have coconut oil in?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It can help a lot with frizz. I stopped blow drying my hair years ago, it makes my wurly hair into frizz haven. Maybe try blow drying on warm or cool vs hot setting when you have coconut oil in?

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks. :)

Karen Proulx

Lairian
I have been using Aveeno baby wash to bathe our cat. Where does the coconut oil come Into play? Do you just put it in the water or do you massage it onto the cat? Do you rinse it? I feel like a bad mama since I don't know this trick...

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have been using Aveeno baby wash to bathe our cat. Where does the coconut oil come Into play? Do you just put it in the water or do you massage it onto the cat? Do you rinse it? I feel like a bad mama since I don't know this trick...

Don't feel bad, you are not a bad mama for not knowing this "trick"!
It would be rubbed on them sparingly...mostly in spots that are badly stained and you'd wipe it off and then bathe them, BUT it does make them dirtier quicker. I no longer use it, instead I use Pet D'Greaser to bathe them and I follow with Johnson & Johnson's Baby Wash. :)

NeyaBenz

Lairian
I dont think Id use it as an after bath moisturizer, like GoldHazel said, it might attract dirt.
But before a bath on grimey spots, or to work around the face then use a warm wet cloth to rub off dirties.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I no longer use coconut oil on my sphynx boys. It took their stains right out without a doubt, but they were left with a bit of a residue which made them dirtier much quicker. I now use Pure Pet's Pet D'Greaser to bathe them...followed by Johnson & Johnson's Baby Bath.

I did like the coconut oil as lip balm for myself. :)
How do you use it on your hair? To coat your hair before blow drying? To use before shampooing? Tell me how as I'm intested (I have dry, damaged hair). Thanks. :)
I used 100% pure coconut oil from the health food store on my hair and skin and yes it was used on Apollo he use to get so dirty but he sorta out grew his dirtiness....i used to have to bath him often now not so much. My breeder is known for having kitties with good skin I actually only have one of the 3 that gets dirty around the neck alot but otherwise is clean. Also the coconut oil on your hand and feet is great with some socks to soak in the summer it liquifies and in the cold it is soild.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used 100% pure coconut oil from the health food store on my hair and skin and yes it was used on Apollo he use to get so dirty but he sorta out grew his dirtiness....i used to have to bath him often now not so much. My breeder is known for having kitties with good skin I actually only have one of the 3 that gets dirty around the neck alot but otherwise is clean. Also the coconut oil on your hand and feet is great with some socks to soak in the summer it liquifies and in the cold it is soild.

I love putting it on my lips too, Christina. LOL

JUANITA

Lairian
So I uses coconut oil to moisturize mika's skin... She woke up really flaky and with tons of "dandruff". When I applied it yesterday, her neck got reaaallly red and little hives that looked like scratches started to appear. How do I get rid of those flakes? How can I moisturize her skin? She is eating Blue organic grain-free dry food, as her vet FORBADE wet food because it really gives them bad breath, and smelly poo.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would bathe her again to get the coconut oil off, some kitties are allergic to it. They don't typically need any moisturizer applied to their skin as they produce their own oil. Sounds like she is on a good dry food. Wet food should not be forbidden, it's found to be better for them than dry. It also helps make sure they get enough water, cats sometimes don't drink enough. Do some research on wet food and the benefits, I bet you'll be surprised! :)

wayneb

Lairian
You welcome :) it works well and is not bad if they try lick themselves either

I don't use it since using d'grease but it does work

Is coconut oil an alternative to D'grease? I have a good size tub of D'grease ready for when I get my kitty and was wondering if I have that, I won't need coconut oil?

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Is coconut oil an alternative to D'grease? I have a good size tub of D'grease ready for when I get my kitty and was wondering if I have that, I won't need coconut oil?
Nah I have D'grease too don't need cococnut oil as well i find you don't but there's no harm in trying and finding what works for your baby I find I don't need both

Skeels

Lairian
You can get a HUGE jar of coconut oil on Amazon for about $25. It will be solid at room temp, but it easily melts in your hand. It's great for cooking, using in scrubs for you and I use it on my tortoises shells. So now I will be using it in the bath with the cat- Love this stuff!

pearlpollard

Lairian
I use it on my girl once every week to week and a half before her bath! Once I started using it, I actually noticed she doesn't get dirty as fast! Love it!

Faeron

Lairian
Tried it twice and both times my kitty got serious itching, she kept licking herself for at least a full day, even if we washed her with regular things afterwards. So a big no go for us.

JUANITA

Lairian
Hi Faeron! Yes, same thing happens to Mika. I guess it is a trial and "denial" thing. Something that works wonders for her is the Aveno Sensitive Skin Body was with Oatmeal. really gentle with their skin. I now use the coconut oil for everything.... from cooking to hair and dry skin (mine of course)

Leanda

Lairian
I used it for the first time on Sunday night, but I'm reluctant to use it again... the next morning Bluebelle was seriously orange and greasy on her undercarriage and back legs... shame really because it wasn't cheap over here unless I figure out why she was so orange after using it, she's not a dirty sphynx really and Ive never seen her oily before like that only after using coconut oil on her.
Don't throw it out - cook with it!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had been recommended to use coconut oil in my protein shakes (trying to gain some weight) and I had a jar of it left over from Moses. However, I looked in it and realized 1) it was expired, 2) I scooped my hand in it with a dirty cat one too many times to try and use it without dirt in it.

BUT that being said, I went to the health food store and found they have coconut oil in capsules. It still comes in the more solid form, but if you want to use it for multiple purposes, you can cut the end off of it, and squeeze out the "oil" or "paste". If you just need little for the cat, its like self contained little pellet. If you want to take it for a supplement, you can just pop it down the hatch. If you want to use it in a shake, you can squeeze it out of the capsule, same for lips, hands, hair, etc. Its 100% virgin coconut oil and ran me about &7 for 100 capsules.

Jen

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxKid , thanks for the info! I drink isopure protein shakes daily for workouts
Never thought of the coconut oil to add that I keep on the counter for pets

Who hoo pill form! I go to the local small health store in town that happens to have every First Monday of the month 25% off everything in store- and also get stuff at swansons vitamins .. Googling their coupon codes
Will check them too! Local store runs out quick on Mondays-I was at walmart and saw a empty spot for coconut oil- bet it was the pill form

Last edited:

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SphynxKid , thanks for the info! I drink isopure protein shakes daily for workouts
Never thought of the coconut oil to add that I keep on the counter for pets

Who hoo pill form! I go to the local small health store in town that happens to have every First Monday of the month 25% off everything in store- and also get stuff at swansons vitamins .. Googling their coupon codes
Will check them too! Local store runs out quick on Mondays- fu. Y you me too. It because I wasn't walmart and saw a empty spot for coconut oil- bet it was the pill form
Apparently the coconut oil is good to mix in because of the MCT oils is has (easily absorbed and digestible medium chain triglycerides). Some people just buy the MCT oil itself, but the coconut oil has the majority of the items you need in it by itself, so no real need to get something separate.

Jen

Back