Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil?

Do you use coconut oil on your Sphynx!

• yes

Votes: 151 46.2%
  • no

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • I'm considering trying it (please comment)

Votes: 85 26.0%
  • I pay between $0-$5 dollars

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I pay $5 dollars or more

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • I use it once a week

Votes: 66 20.2%
  • I use it once a month

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I use the "thick and pasty" coconut oil

Votes: 56 17.1%
  • I use the "oily" coconut oil

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters

Kiapi

Lairian
It will be my first time using coconut oil on my two ones and I am a little confused. How much do you think I should use and how loing after should I wash them?

Bintang, my oldest, has some rushes on his skin. Do you think I can still use it on him?

Please advise, I am a little lost here

Thank you
Kiapi

Nudie Patootie

Lairian
I used it for the first time on Sunday night, but I'm reluctant to use it again... the next morning Bluebelle was seriously orange and greasy on her undercarriage and back legs... shame really because it wasn't cheap over here unless I figure out why she was so orange after using it, she's not a dirty sphynx really and Ive never seen her oily before like that only after using coconut oil on her.
We have tried it several times and had the same experience! At first I thought maybe we put too much on or didn't wash/rinse it well enough, but it was almost like a dirt magnet for ours. We usually only give them baths every 2-3 weeks, but when I used the coconut oil, their pink skin turned gray in a day. We do have several friends who love it for their babies though--it just didn't work well for ours! Michelle

AlexaEels

Lairian
I use coconut oil on almost all of my animals. My ferret and bulldog have had no skin issues since I started using in it on them. Sometimes I will add a little tea tree oil to it if they are having bad skin problems. Great stuff.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AlexaEels , please be super careful with tea tree oil and kitty- it is my understanding it is toxic to kitties -
I have found in my experience sphynx systems can be very sensitive to stuff -
Also be sure to put "NO Ketamine" on your vets chart -

I wish I could use coconut oil on my kitties - my kitties hate water so it would be hard to get a good rinse :)

AlexaEels

Lairian
@AlexaEels , please be super careful with tea tree oil and kitty- it is my understanding it is toxic to kitties -
I have found in my experience sphynx systems can be very sensitive to stuff -
Also be sure to put "NO Ketamine" on your vets chart -

I wish I could use coconut oil on my kitties - my kitties hate water so it would be hard to get a good rinse :)

That is great to know. It works great on my bulldog, but if kitties can't be around it we will have to figure something else out. I do know about the no Ketamine at the vet and I am lucky to have a vet that actually has 3 sphynx herself.

Jacks153

Lairian
@marlene @LadyZephyr @shaunc @klreese @gunstreetgirl @Nair Bare

As you already know
665731_79655c3a73f241d6955b27d3dc46b1e0.jpg
Sphynx are a special breed and don't go by the same standards as your everyday cat. Oil builds up on their skin & their nails should be cleaned and trimmed routinely ! Some sphynx have more of a waxy build up then others but you can eyeball it and tell when they need a bath. We use soap specifically designed for the breed it's called PAWFECT . It's 100% Organic and doesn't strip their natural oils and leaves them smooth & clean ! It's on the sphynx lair website . Here is a pic & the direct link . It's 100% organic and natural. www.OrganicallyBeautifulByJC.com

Chilly Willy

Lairian
I hit the mother lode of coconut oil recently--I came across a bunch of it in the discontinued aisle of a relatively local store--BIG jars of it marked down to $2.50--I almost had an ...well....let's just say I was very happy (ROFLMAO!!!). I scarfed up about 12 jars of it. I was so proud of my bargain hunting that day, I'll tell ya.
Nice score!!

Chilly Willy

Lairian
I have a video, but it's saying that the video im trying to download pops up the error "does not have an allowed extension."

Does anyone on Sphynxlair have experience with this error? It's a good little video to Demonstrate the technique we use, although its pretty simple.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sweenz

Lairian

Hi Joanne!

Let's see if this works!

Here is the "after" pic of Chilly's neck. Not awesome, but not awful! Lol.

Hope this helps.

Jenn,
Yes I see it worked. Does it leave him greased? I must say Chilly Willey is a sport and a beautiful boy. My sister just rescued a one eye kitten. Maggie not hairless. Enjoy him he is perfect.

Chilly Willy

Lairian
Hi Joanne!
Jenn,
Yes I see it worked. Does it leave him greased? I must say Chilly Willey is a sport and a beautiful boy. My sister just rescued a one eye kitten. Maggie not hairless. Enjoy him he is perfect.

I do this and then put him directly in the bathtub for his bath! I use his regular soap, and he comes out squeaky clean, soft and not greasy at all.

Did that make sense? :).

Jenn

AlexaEels

Lairian
Hi Joanne!

I do this and then put him directly in the bathtub for his bath! I use his regular soap, and he comes out squeaky clean, soft and not greasy at all.

Did that make sense? :).

Jenn
That is exactly what I have to do with Baldwin, he is sooooooo dirty that this is the only thing that works. I wait once a week to give him a bath and by that time he is so dirty :/

Chilly Willy

Lairian
That is exactly what I have to do with Baldwin, he is sooooooo dirty that this is the only thing that works. I wait once a week to give him a bath and by that time he is so dirty :/
@AlexaEels :

I know right? He gets dirty so quick!!!! I know my house isn't THAT dirty! Lol. Our lives were changed when we discovered Coconut Oil! The stuff makes Chilly so "Zerbertable!" Lol.

Kelly

Lairian
I use coconut oil on my babies after bath time. They smell so yummy after and my vet always comments about how beautiful their skin is.... I also use special cat food for skin/allergys that helps. It's a fortune but well worth it.

renewedmind

Banned
When I got my Sphynx a few years back I had issues with him not getting completely clean he would still have spots on his underbelly and he had some spots on his skin that would get rough so I got some emu oil shampoo and it did the trick got rid or the oil spots and helped clear up the small rough spots he had so it was oil and shampoo so it worked in one thing I loved it had never thought of coconut oil

Smeg911

Lairian
Do you use coconut oil on your Sphynx cat?

I buy organic unrefined, extra virgin, unheated coconut oil from costco for around $16 for a 54 oz tub. Best price I've found anywhere. I don't get my sphynx for another week but have been thinking about using coconut oil on him.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I buy organic unrefined, extra virgin, unheated coconut oil from costco for around $16 for a 54 oz tub. Best price I've found anywhere. I don't get my sphynx for another week but have been thinking about using coconut oil on him.

If you do, just use a dab, for the most dirty spots that's very dirty.
Wash and rinse very well, rinse, rinse. The coconut oil or any oil
Will make them, get dirty quicker. Because they are oily.
Jacks 153 had a store here. I don't think she does now ,but, she
has a organic shampoo line. I ordered the perfect baby bar.
It's the best. I have used HyLyt Shampoo for years and love it.
But, the organic she has, is best. Izmae's skin feels so much better.
It didn't think it was possible, she has always had great skin.
You should try it. Here is her link she had here

jacks153

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use coconut oil on Busty whenever his belly gets dry. He sometimes has dry skin on his belly, especially in the Winter, so the coconut oil is great for moisturizing

Jacks153

Lairian
If you do, just use a dab, for the most dirty spots that's very dirty.
Wash and rinse very well, rinse, rinse. The coconut oil or any oil
Will make them, get dirty quicker. Because they are oily.
Jacks 153 had a store here. I don't think she does now ,but, she
has a organic shampoo line. I ordered the perfect baby bar.
It's the best. I have used HyLyt Shampoo for years and love it.
But, the organic she has, is best. Izmae's skin feels so much better.
It didn't think it was possible, she has always had great skin.
You should try it. Here is her link she had here

jacks153

Thank you !!! YES! Organic is the best & it truly does leave your babies soft and removes all those pesky black heads!!! @Smeg911 @BusterTheCat

RoxannK

Lairian
My Coconut oil melted also since it is hot here.
The judges said my cats have nice skin.
The secret is the coconut oil.
Susi that is a great price.
I paid $15.95 for a 16 once jar.
It is extra virgin.

I love coconut oil, do you just rub it on their skin? How often? I'm very curious! What is this an alternative to? -we bathe ours every few weeks when she starts getting dirty...-

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love coconut oil, do you just rub it on their skin? How often? I'm very curious! What is this an alternative to? -we bathe ours every few weeks when she starts getting dirty...-

@RoxannK the members here noticed that using coconut oil on our naked babies just leaves them like a magnet for more dirt to stick to them. We usually only use it on stubborn spots just prior to their regular baths IF we have to use it at all.

I bathe my nakeds with Pet D'Greaser by Pure Pet, then I follow by rinsing and using a little bit of Johnson & Johnson's Baby Bath (not baby shampoo). It rinses well, but I rinse A LOT! One of my nakeds seems sensitive to the Pet D'Greaser Shampoo, so he only gets the J&J.

Back