Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil?

Do you use coconut oil on your Sphynx!

• yes

Votes: 151 46.2%
  • no

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • I'm considering trying it (please comment)

Votes: 85 26.0%
  • I pay between $0-$5 dollars

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I pay $5 dollars or more

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • I use it once a week

Votes: 66 20.2%
  • I use it once a month

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I use the "thick and pasty" coconut oil

Votes: 56 17.1%
  • I use the "oily" coconut oil

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not sure about the question about the viscosity of the coconut oil. Mine was like crisco before the weather started heating up- now, it's oil when you open up the container.

I will say, I've used almost the whole container on the babies in about 2 months time. But that also means- 2-3 baths a week for 8 weeks for a lot of babies!

susi794

Staff member
I hit the mother lode of coconut oil recently--I came across a bunch of it in the discontinued aisle of a relatively local store--BIG jars of it marked down to $2.50--I almost had an ...well....let's just say I was very happy (ROFLMAO!!!). I scarfed up about 12 jars of it. I was so proud of my bargain hunting that day, I'll tell ya.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hit the mother lode of coconut oil recently--I came across a bunch of it in the discontinued aisle of a relatively local store--BIG jars of it marked down to $2.50--I almost had an ...well....let's just say I was very happy (ROFLMAO!!!). I scarfed up about 12 jars of it. I was so proud of my bargain hunting that day, I'll tell ya.

Susi, girl, you crack me up!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Coconut oil melted also since it is hot here.
The judges said my cats have nice skin.
The secret is the coconut oil.
Susi that is a great price.
I paid $15.95 for a 16 once jar.
It is extra virgin.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I use the oily kind and mine has melted as well since its summer time but I keep it in a "Bug Juice" bottle and it works great to squirt some out. If it hardens at all I just throw it in the tub and wait for it to melt enough to get a squirt.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine is oily too - it was around $15 I think.. I use only a little on her paws, bum and belly (if needed).

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine is hard, I mean really hard. But I have central air set on 70 so it doesn't get warm. I toss it in a sink full of hot water and melt it before I use it.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
It really is the little things in life that bring such happiness!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tried coconut oil. I don't think it was any better than olive oil, Since olive oil is cheaper and easier to come by here, that's what i go with.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I tried coconut oil. I don't think it was any better than olive oil, Since olive oil is cheaper and easier to come by here, that's what i go with.

I was just about to ask if it HAS to be coconut oil, or will any food-grade oil work? I have a helluva time getting the grime out of Teeka's neck-wrinkles and would LOVE to make it easier on her (and me). I haven't found coconut oil yet, but I've been contemplating trying olive oil.

Anyone else use a different type of oil to 'pre-bath' their babies?

Nair Bare

Lairian
I had thought about using another oil for Peeve, but decided I wanted to enjoy his bath just as much as he did. So I opted for the raw, extra virgin, certified organic, unprocessed. unrefined, unheated coconut oil . But the label also says "undeodorized" which I don't think is even a word. Something is odorized (with a scent) or deodorized (scent removed) but to be UNdeodorized is what?............Having the removed scent put back into it?!?!?! Anyway, it gave me a chuckle. As a kid, I often heard the term "regurgitate" and assumed that when eating I could tell people I was "gurgitating" my supper, if later, when feeling sickly, I may be regurgitating that same supper. Sorry, I digress.

Back to the coconut oil. My 16 oz tub (approximately $13. at RiteAid Drugs) of coconut oil is thick and firm, even when the house is warm. So I have a small squeeze bottle into which I place several tablespoons of the hard oil and mix in hot water to melt. Shake vigorously, flip open the nozzle, temperature test, and then squirt Peeve all over while he is in the sink. This way I keep the original tub clean and anything left over in the squeeze bottle can be used next time. Plus, with the squeeze bottle, I have total control of where I apply the oil and the bath progresses much faster.
I also use another squeeze bottle with a shampoo/water mixture for a faster and more controlled application. Peeve is a sweetie about baths and I can even use the sink sprayer for his rinse cycle. Then wrap him in a soft, warm towel...... cuddle dry....and enjoy his fresh coconut scent while dreaming of Pina Coladas!

miss_gldelx

Lairian
has anyone tried this brand? I'm just now seeing all the threads on using coconut oil before bathing, and thought i might as well buy in bulk.

Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from NUTIVA on sale. Find information about NUTIVA

Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Description from NUTIVA
There is no comparison between Nutiva's cold-pressed, Organic extra-virgin coconut oil, with its light taste, pleasant aroma, and pure white color, and industrialized coconut oil, with its bland taste, faint aroma, and off-white color. Please note that any tiny brown specks found at the bottom of Nutiva's Coconut oil are from the coconut fiber and are indigenous to extra-virgin coconut oil.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size:14 grams
Servings per Container: 259

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Calories 120
Calories from Fat 120
Total Fat 14g 22
Saturated Fat 12.5g 63
Polyunsaturated Fat .5g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0
Sodium 0mg 0
Total Carbohydrate 0mg 0
Protein 0g
** Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established.

Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Ingredients
Organic unrefined cold-pressed extra-virgin coconut oil.

Nair Bare

Lairian
has anyone tried this brand? I'm just now seeing all the threads on using coconut oil before bathing, and thought i might as well buy in bulk.

My goodness, in bulk..... is an understatement. How many cats do you have? At most I use a couple of tablespoons per bath and it would take me forever to use 8 pounds of it. Buying in bulk is always a good idea to me, but you will have to figure out a way to keep the bucket squeaky clean for it should last you a very long time.

miss_gldelx

Lairian
LOL, well i have always had a problem with over doing things! i only have one (6 month old) and should be getting another in a few months.

Hmm, guessing i should find something a lot smaller. wooopsie!

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
I use a pet soap from my local co-op that's organic and oil based.... I haven't been able to find coconut oil for some reason, but I'd love to try it since i seem to be bathing Early every other day or so. I just can't handle it when he's got little grease spots :LOL:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i vote as wanting to use it.... i'm actually planning to order some tonight but wanted to get some opinions from people...
what brand do you use?
if you buy off the internet, what website?
is there a particular type of buy?
I have 2 naughty bath kitties, i have to hold their scruff VERY tight (which my fiancee or step daughter bathe the kitty), is the oil going to make it too oily to hold onto him?

LadyZephyr

Lairian
I used it for the first time on Sunday night, but I'm reluctant to use it again... the next morning Bluebelle was seriously orange and greasy on her undercarriage and back legs... shame really because it wasn't cheap over here unless I figure out why she was so orange after using it, she's not a dirty sphynx really and Ive never seen her oily before like that only after using coconut oil on her.

LadyZephyr

Lairian
I used Johnson's baby bath, it's what the breeder had been using on her the whole time and what we used to bath her before the coconut oil incident.

Back