Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cod Liver Oil?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
One of the goodies my hubby brought home was a small sample bottle of cod liver oil for pets, I have been mixing some in Freya's and Gummi"s canned food, and they really like it! I am considering buying a bottle when the sample is gone, but I don't really know why, lol. I have read some info on the benefits, but most of the websites are trying to sell it, so are not truly objective.

I was curious as to whether anyone here has used cod liver oil for any length of time and why? Did you notice any changes in your kitty?

susi794

Staff member
I use salmon oil when I mix their raw food--my vet told me not to use cod liver oil. The oil is for Omega3 fatty acids, but cod liver oil usually has vitamin A & D and they can be toxic to cats if they get too much of them. Please stop the oil until you check with your vet--also check to see if there is added vitamin A or D. I once had a cat that got toxic from too much liver canned cat food--also dangerous to feed tuna frequently --you have to be very careful not to overdose on these things with cats.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Susi, I did see online that too much A could be a problem, The reccommended dose is 1/4 teaspoon daily, I have been giving them just a couple of drops, but I don't want to put them at risk and it's just a tiny sample bottle so I am gonna stop it till we ask a vet.

Christina~ from what I read it has some immune boosting as well as benefits for the heart, and skin. Heart health, of course was the most interesting to me. But my cats eat a balanced diet anyway with TOTW, and I know that oversupplementing can be a bad thing. I am not sure there are any real benefits, but I had the sample and tried it.

Susi~ what are the benefits to the Salmon oil? What do Omega 3s do?

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Oh I see.

I also worry about giving too much Lysine!! Is that possible? I noticed that Snuffies new food Blue Buffalo has Lysine in it and I also give her 250mg each morning with her canned food. With it being in her dry food could she be getting too much? I had to give her the full 500mg this morning has she is starting to have a flare (herpes) so I'm hoping it fends it off as usual.

susi794

Staff member
Omega 3 fatty acids claim to help skin, coat, heart, cholesterol, arthritis. cancer. They mention benefits to depression and brain development also in humans. Our food animals are no longer range grown, so their diet has been altered to make them more meat dense, and we have lost a lot of the omega3 fatty acids, because of it. There is a danger in oversupplementation. My vet told me to use some of the salmon oil, when my beagle injured his leg and had over-stretched the ligaments in his knee joint. He said it aids just like chondrointon and glucosamine.
When PitRottMommy was posting here, I am fairly certain she said you can't overdose on L Lysine...but I just googled it and found this:
Possible Side Effects Side effects have not been reported with the use of L-Lysine.
If your pet experiences an allergic reaction to the supplement, signs may include facial swelling, hives, scratching, sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma. If you observe any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Drug, Food, and Test Interactions
Consult with your veterinarian before using lysine with any other medications, including vitamins and supplements, since interactions may occur.

Lysine in large doses may increase the toxicity of certain antibiotics including gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin, kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin, and similar drugs.

Signs of Toxicity/Overdose An overdose may cause stomach upset.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Omega 3 fatty acids claim to help skin, coat, heart, cholesterol, arthritis. cancer. They mention benefits to depression and brain development also in humans. Our food animals are no longer range grown, so their diet has been altered to make them more meat dense, and we have lost a lot of the omega3 fatty acids, because of it. There is a danger in oversupplementation. My vet told me to use some of the salmon oil, when my beagle injured his leg and had over-stretched the ligaments in his knee joint. He said it aids just like chondrointon and glucosamine.
When PitRottMommy was posting here, I am fairly certain she said you can't overdose on L Lysine...but I just googled it and found this:
Possible Side Effects Side effects have not been reported with the use of L-Lysine.
If your pet experiences an allergic reaction to the supplement, signs may include facial swelling, hives, scratching, sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma. If you observe any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Drug, Food, and Test Interactions
Consult with your veterinarian before using lysine with any other medications, including vitamins and supplements, since interactions may occur.

Lysine in large doses may increase the toxicity of certain antibiotics including gentamicin, tobramycin, amikacin, kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin, and similar drugs.

Signs of Toxicity/Overdose An overdose may cause stomach upset.

Well luckily she shows no signs of any Lysine overdoses! The Lysine ingredient on her food bag is pretty far down the list but doesn't state how much of it is in the food. I'll slowly back her off what I'm giving her as to not shock her system and she how she does without it and just with the food alone. I may find she may not need it at all unless she is flaring. Last night she seemed to be flaring so I gave her a full dose this AM and now she is clear eyed and fine. Does anyone else using Blue Buffalo give a different Lysine dose due to it being in their food??

LLevenson

Lairian
Salmon oil is a better choice than cod liver oil (as mentioned in earlier threads, cod liver oil contains high amount of Vit A & D which can be harmful).

A VERY IMPORTANT THING ABOUT OILS: you do NOT want to purchase salmon oil that comes as liquid in a bottle. Air degrades (spoils) the oil very quickly and if you get the liquid in a bottle type, every time you open the bottle you are speeding up that process. Before you even get halfway through the bottle you are already feeding your babies rancid fish oil-yuck! :Sick:

It is better to purchase the capsules and cut a new one open whenever you add it to the food. This way the oil is freshest. You also want to make sure you get WILD salmon oil (as opposed to farmed). Make sure the company has tested the oil to be free of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and other contaminants. You can find several brands at a discount here:
Buy Discount Vitamins, Supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com

Back