Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cold paws, warm heart

stoneandglass

Lairian
Wednesday is feeling much better and is back to her playful self. Since she has been running around to her little kitten heart's content I've noticed that once she settles with me her paws are FREEZING! When she snuggled under the duvet last it wad like she had little ice blocks instead of paws! She is wearing a jumper to keep her warm and has access to blankets, radiators and a heat pad which she loves to nap on. Her little paws start to drop in temperature after a little bit of playing.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? I was under the impression the best way to check the temperature was by feeling a sphynx's ears or paws so I'm worried she's not warm enough.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I noticed this too with my boys when it is a little colder in the apartment, but they are smart. As long as you have beds and blankets scattered, they will know to find warmth and snuggle up for a bit when they get too cold :)

Other thing that helps is putting the central heating on, or if you don't have any like us - we got this heat dish recently from costco too. Means they don't have to hide so much when it's cold out, as it's still warm inside.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Gizmos feet get like that too....doesn't seem to bother him one bit. When he gets too cold he gets in his heated blanket or my lap if I'm sitting down :)

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well my mushy Violet is always warm she spends 90% of her time on the heated blanket or snuggling with me or my daughter. Hairry gets chilly and I do put sweaters on him however this year they have seemed to bother him... he walks as if they weigh 500lbs. I think it hits a nerve on his back/skin because as soon as I take it off he walks normal. Anyway he seeks out the blankets around the house. Curly she is always warm from just being warm however her tail, ears and toes get cold. She will go on the screened in porch and hand out (by choice) when it's 48 degrees out then come in and want to snuggle with those ice cube feet. She is crazy!!! Her body is always nice and warm though so I don't worry. Funny how different they all are!!

stoneandglass

Lairian
well it's reassuring to hear it seems they all seem to get cold feet. Wednesday has a microwave heatpad which stays warm for 10 hours so I know she has that and blankets. I definitely plan on getting her more jumpers :)

stoneandglass

Lairian
I noticed this too with my boys when it is a little colder in the apartment, but they are smart. As long as you have beds and blankets scattered, they will know to find warmth and snuggle up for a bit when they get too cold :)

Other thing that helps is putting the central heating on, or if you don't have any like us - we got this heat dish recently from costco too. Means they don't have to hide so much when it's cold out, as it's still warm inside.
we normally have heating on when it is cold but the boiler broke earlier this week :(

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do notice that when kitties are not as warm as they like to be there feet and tails are cold. and its not fun when they come and put there little paws on you but thats when I know the time to light the wood stove, otherwise the oil heat is on but mine are spoiled we keep our house hot like summer with wood. We are ready to run around naked its so hot and they are happy;)

Christina

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
we have hardwood flooring in our apartment with just large oriental rugs in the living room & dining room. Cold puddy pads & ear tips here also, but plenty of warm spots.. heating pads, beds, blankies etc available.

Back