Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

cold winter nights

Rens

Lairian
Hello everyone!

I can gladly say since my last post, our girl Saoirse no longer agressivly attacks our hands, and has become more well behaved! ^^

our next concern though.. it's getting colder over here, and in Belgium the costs for electricity, water, gas has skyrocketed and we plan on being more mindful w our use of everything.

Saoirse sleeps in her bed in a separate room. she's not allowed in our bedroom at night cuz she destroys our mosquito net and would not let us sleep lol.
What we usually do is put a cherrypit pillow in her bed for her to sleep on. by morning she would usually be cold again but it's the best we could do we figured.
but now we dunno if we can blast the heaters all willy nilly.... so we fear she'll be even colder.
during the day we can always tuck her in, give her clothes, etc. but at night? we know we shouldn't leave her clothes on unattended, so she's all nakey at night :'(

we dunno if there's any tricks or items we can use to keep her warm longer?
we got an electric pad but that shuts off after an hour for safety so yeah.
currently she's got a soft bed that's shaped like a little house with a pillow and fleece inside, and I put the whole thing on some cardboard/carpet, so it's not on the cold tiles directly.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My little monster sleeps in a onesie during the winter time and some ladies have purchased self heating beds. I know mine loves sleeping in empty delivery cooler packs that have the silver lining in them to keep food warm or cold . It also acts like a self heating thermo base. I have two cave like beds and a hot water bottle that has a fluffy cover this is my best addition especially used when we need to go out in cold weather or if we have a power failed in winter.

I know all you ladies in the Eiropean countries will be coming up with wonderful power free ways pretty soon.

But do visit your outdoor camping stores they must have awesome things too for out door power free or rechargeable devices to heat up for you.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
These stay warm up to 10 hours. Pop them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and pile some blankets so they can make a cave with this at the bottom and it should do the trick.
ae4cd634f39e046b1c566562ff8874a0.png
@Rens

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rens, wanted to share some safety tips I learned..

I** do not use electric heaters space heaters... mine tipped it over and it was a fire hazard.**

I did get the snuggle safe disc. if you get it, please follow directions closely and do not overheat it in the microwave. seen some reports of it leaking out inside contents. I covered it very well with a blanket to prevent any possible skin burns.

now I just use Sherpa fleece throws. they burrow in snuggle themselves with their heads poking out.
Mine get no clothing. One nearly fell from a high place when a nail got snagged on clothing.

Fleece blankets here have been my go to here.

so glad she is not hand biting anymore ~ yah~

hugs n head smooches to adorable Saoirse .

members will surely chime in with tips and ideas

Rens

Lairian
My little monster sleeps in a onesie during the winter time and some ladies have purchased self heating beds. I know mine loves sleeping in empty delivery cooler packs that have the silver lining in them to keep food warm or cold . It also acts like a self heating thermo base. I have two cave like beds and a hot water bottle that has a fluffy cover this is my best addition especially used when we need to go out in cold weather or if we have a power failed in winter.

I know all you ladies in the Eiropean countries will be coming up with wonderful power free ways pretty soon.

But do visit your outdoor camping stores they must have awesome things too for out door power free or rechargeable devices to heat up for you.
thank you for the tips!♥ I deff need to look into some warmth keeping stuff from the camping store ;p

Rens

Lairian
@Rens, wanted to share some safety tips I learned..

I** do not use electric heaters space heaters... mine tipped it over and it was a fire hazard.**

I did get the snuggle safe disc. if you get it, please follow directions closely and do not overheat it in the microwave. seen some reports of it leaking out inside contents. I covered it very well with a blanket to prevent any possible skin burns.

now I just use Sherpa fleece throws. they burrow in snuggle themselves with their heads poking out.
Mine get no clothing. One nearly fell from a high place when a nail got snagged on clothing.

Fleece blankets here have been my go to here.

so glad she is not hand biting anymore ~ yah~

hugs n head smooches to adorable Saoirse .

members will surely chime in with tips and ideas

we have one small space heater and we deff never leave it unattended.
same with her clothes, I don't leave them on when we aren't here since she got her tongue stuck on a fleece sweater once while licking.
(I'm a paranoid person who overthinks a lot so I ain't taking any risks lmao)

right now she has soft fleece blankets too, but we usually tuck her in and on her own she doesn't always seem to manage to burrow herself under them.
sometimes we'll find her half burried with her booty sticking out :0

thank you for the tips♥

nudebea

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We live in the UK and I can understand your worries about energy bills this winter . We have lots of sherpa fleece blankets scattered around and cat beds / cat cave type beds.They bury right under the blankets to get toasty warm. We have also used the heating pads that you pop in the microwave for a minute or so and hot water bottles with knitted covers( so the hot rubber wouldn't touch their skin) . We pop these under a blanket and make sure it is a good quality one with a tight screw top to prevent leakages. They love them

Rens

Lairian
We live in the UK and I can understand your worries about energy bills this winter . We have lots of sherpa fleece blankets scattered around and cat beds / cat cave type beds.They bury right under the blankets to get toasty warm. We have also used the heating pads that you pop in the microwave for a minute or so and hot water bottles with knitted covers( so the hot rubber wouldn't touch their skin) . We pop these under a blanket and make sure it is a good quality one with a tight screw top to prevent leakages. They love them
yeah :(

it's what we mostly do too, tho I haven't looked into sherpa fleece yet.
thanks for the input!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
From the Netherlands so hearing what you say about the bills. Can you put a cattree in the room where she sleeps? A tree with on top a cave where she can go in? I out blankets in it and my girl stays toasty warm inside.
If that is not possible then a lot of blankets and a deep cat bed will be fine too.

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
Joining your "high bills worries" club, our baby sleeps in bed with us, we got extra blankets so he can roll himself in if he gets cold during night. Either that or he just snuggles up to me, he is such a furnace himself haha. However, we are planning on draping him in warm clothes during nights this winter, got to get used to it since we won't be able to turn on heaters that often. Have you tried isolating the window net instead of your baby cat, if it's possible?

Rens

Lairian
From the Netherlands so hearing what you say about the bills. Can you put a cattree in the room where she sleeps? A tree with on top a cave where she can go in? I out blankets in it and my girl stays toasty warm inside.
If that is not possible then a lot of blankets and a deep cat bed will be fine too.
ooh that's a good idea! I think we could make something like that work.
thanks! ^^

Rens

Lairian
Joining your "high bills worries" club, our baby sleeps in bed with us, we got extra blankets so he can roll himself in if he gets cold during night. Either that or he just snuggles up to me, he is such a furnace himself haha. However, we are planning on draping him in warm clothes during nights this winter, got to get used to it since we won't be able to turn on heaters that often. Have you tried isolating the window net instead of your baby cat, if it's possible?
I have no idea how you would do the window isolating :0
I'll have to look that up, thanks!

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
I have no idea how you would do the window isolating :0
I'll have to look that up, thanks!
Somebody told me to place something for climbing in window when I asked how to prevent cat ripping and climbing on my curtains. Maybe this can help distract her. I haven't tried myself yet, gave up and let Osiris modify our curtains the way he wants :0