Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

collar for sphynx

skudra

Lairian
hi!
I'm complete newbie in all this. having our first sphynx kitten in 1,5 months so I search a lot of information about treating them. one of my concerns is a collar (reins), because I want to train him go out for a walk since childhood (his mom doesn't love to go out, and one of reasons her owner said might be she didn't do that in early age, so later she didn't like). but there isn't enough special stuff for sphynxes at our shops and I was wondering- don't they need softer collar than for other cats that have fur?? how about yours? do you use usual cat reins or special? and if any suggestions about training a kitten going out in reins - please tell me!
thanks.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was reading a post by Ilovemysphynx where she posted a good article put out by the folks at Royal Canin where they describe the sphynx. Somewhere in the article it mentions that sphynx's make up for the fact that they don't have fur by having thicker/tougher skin. I'm not sure if I believe that but a regular collar would be fine I think. ButterBall does get abrasions occasionally but I think it's because the little clown scratches himself with his vicious claws. You can always tell when he gets a scratch because the dirt clings to it. But I would say a regular collar would be OK unless you see it rubbing his skin raw. ButterBall hates his harness but it's never rubbed him raw.

Brooke

Banned
Hi Skudra,
Congrats on your new kitten. You are really in for years and years of surprises with your new sphynx. Mine surprises me and makes me laugh out loud every day! They are very quirky and unlike any other cat I've ever known.

I just use a regular cat harness and leash with Walter. He doesn't really walk with it like a dog, it's more like him walking around the yard wherever he feels like going and I just follow him and hold the leash...but he took to it right away. If you take him (or her?) out for a long time, be sure to put sunscreen on him - sunburn, especially on the white colored sphynxes can be a concern. I always take Walter out at dusk so I don't have to worry about it. I'm sure some of the other members here can suggest a sunscreen to use...

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for any questions about your new baby!
PS - We want to see pictures!!

skudra

Lairian
thanks a lot!
I've read about the sunscreen already so I'm informed about that (I'm doing my homework before he gets home) :Wink:
pics are seen in Albums (or my profile), I've got only 2 taken by owner of mother, will be moooore when gets home to us :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We also just use A harness and leash we have the retractable kind so they just walk around the yard and I follow. Leo loves to sit by our little pond and watch the fish! We had him out last night and he walked all around the deck and was thinking of jumping in the pool it was very funny!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Skudra your can go online and actually purchase fabric harnesses and I've actually started to see more of them at PetSmart. They also make clothes that are actual harnesses as well. Here is a website I purchase alot of stuff for Meecho and they have a huge selection of harnesses. http://superstarpetlovers.com/

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Patternandpaw.com custom makes harnesses when you order them... you just give them the measurements & they have tons of patterns to pick from.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Skudra,
Welcome to Sphyn lair!:Wink:
Yes we use a harness, they seem to like it better.
Thanks for joining! We cany wait to see some pics!!:Laugh:

PitRottMommy

Banned
hi!
I'm complete newbie in all this. having our first sphynx kitten in 1,5 months so I search a lot of information about treating them. one of my concerns is a collar (reins), because I want to train him go out for a walk since childhood (his mom doesn't love to go out, and one of reasons her owner said might be she didn't do that in early age, so later she didn't like). but there isn't enough special stuff for sphynxes at our shops and I was wondering- don't they need softer collar than for other cats that have fur?? how about yours? do you use usual cat reins or special? and if any suggestions about training a kitten going out in reins - please tell me!
thanks.
It's soft like silk and it won't callous your pet's skin. There are absolutely no sharp edges or catches that will abrade your cat's skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

skudra

Lairian
wow! huge thanks.
our net pet shops really suck at this.

pics as soon as possible (as Alexx gets home)! :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Skurda that's sooooo cool your from Latvia. My family was from there as well. Well I should say my dad's side. My mom's side is from korea but both my grandparents were born in Latvia before they moved state side. The breeder I bought Meecho from was also from Latvia so she sent me lots of pictures of there so I could know where I was from.

skudra

Lairian
kalliee129 - living in a small world :Surprise:
so, your cat is from Latvia or just the breeder is born in Latvia and doesnt live here?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that was very nice of her to send you pics Kalliee129! Maybee our new Skudra will post some more for you too see.

skudra

Lairian
hmm, yeah, I could but then I need to take some pics outside with landscapes :D I've got all inside with people, because I'm lazy photographer :Pudently:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho was born in New York City, but I believe her parentage is from Latvia, I'm not to positive.

I would LOVE more pictures. I hope to visit one day, but I don't know if I ever will be able too. Unfortunately my father died when I was very young and my grandmother passed on before I really started to take an interest in where I came from. So I don't have anyone from his side to really talk about that side of me, but I am very close to my mom's side which is why most of the time I will just say I'm korean, but I am very proud of my russian side. That and it's funny to see peoples faces when they hear my last name and see it's jewish and expect to see that, but out comes this chubby korean :)

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No my grandparents were born in Latvia and came to the states, my dad was born in philly. My greatgrandmother came with them and all she spoke was russian and hebrew.

Back