Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Collar or No Collar?

WrinkleInTime

Lairian
Hello Friends,

We are bringing our baby Flint home in 2 weeks! We are checking things off the list to get and I am unsure about a collar? Obviously he will be an indoor cat but we will also do some leash training if he takes to it and we have a backpack cat carrier. I was thinking about a collar for the just in case he got loose situation but also because its a cute little accessory?

Some folks have said no to collars for various reasons and some say its totally okay. If I do get one it would be of a very soft material and breakaway.

What are your opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_2331_2.PNG
    IMG_2331_2.PNG
    125.1 KB · Views: 21

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Some of ours wear collars and some don’t. I only use breakaway collars and I always test the collar by pulling up on it to make sure they weigh enough to make the collar clasp open as it should. Have heard horror stories of cats getting hung up on things and collars not unhooking. The bells on collars help us know who is underfoot and kittens are ALWAYS underfoot lol.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@WrinkleInTime
no collars on my 4. I have voyager harnesses recommended by members.
they are microchipped . I make sure I update the company with new address/cell phone numbers.

I opted for no collars after my moms kitty had a near death experience when a breakaway collar she had (dont know what brand) got stuck n her mouth gagging her. lucky my mom was home.

glad you are doing research what is best for your baby!
tick tock for Gotcha day! Flint is precious!

Kelnym

Lairian
No collars.
Both Prince and Dublin try to bite them off and get their lower jaw stuck in it. Dublin once got his jaw stuck on the clasp part so I had to urgently cut it off of him while he was panicking, it took two of us and we both got scratched very badly.

We were only using collars to hold RFID tags for their feeding bowls because they didn't yet have microchips.

Re: breakaway collars

These are great, but not if you are going to try and take them out on leash with it. A good pull and the collar will snap right off. We learned this the hard way with Prince when we tethered him in the front yard.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I only put a collar on Ellie when we leave the house, to hold her id tag. I still use a harness for her too though.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a handsome cutie Flint is.
My crew never wear collars. I don't have anything against it though

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Binky doesn’t have a collar she hated it when I put one on her. I use a harness with a lead and she is microchipped!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have engraved collars with bells attached for when me and my kids relax in the backyard, just in case they ever escaped or got loose. It has their name and my phone number on it. I didn't see the need of keeping them on when were in the house as my boyfriend and I are very conscious about opening any door leading to outside.