Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

collar suggestions?

kelsheyyx

Lairian
My clever kitty has figured out how to get his collar off. It's a standard breakaway collar - what happens is he bites the plastic hard enough that the clasp doesn't close right so he can just knock it off with his paw or mouth. Does anyone use or know of breakaway cat collars where the buckle is metal? I'm thinking that would be best so long as he can't break the plastic to make it pop off easily...

And yes I am probably going to microchip him. He bolts out the door so often and I'm paranoid I won't be able to catch him and he won't have info on him.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
100% microchip him. It could save his life. I've seen it before as I used to when at an animal rescue. As for the collar maybe try something like this? Might not be as easy to take off. They do use a safety release snap.
Screenshot_20170412-164031.png

kelsheyyx

Lairian
Oh I love that! The fleece is great - think it would help actually as I feel like sometimes the collar chafes his skin. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree with @Maddie the collar is probably too loose if they can bite it. God forbid it does not break away easily your baby will go nuts and it could wedge in their mouth and freak them. I recall a member sharing this happened to their baby and they felt horrible coming home to a stressed cat with a collar wedged in their mouth. I buy the very and I mean very easy to break away nylon breakaway kitten size collars when they are kittens. The clasps are extra easy to disengage and I find them sometimes just lying on the floor which I am fine with because it means our current kitten was his rambunctious self lol. Our girls are no longer kittens and I transitioned them to cotton breakaway collars. I always test the breakaway collars each and every time even if they already wore them. I adjust on them and lift and it needs to give way. I have thrown a couple out because they did not unlatch with ease.

Patti