Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Collars/Names

AAMMYY

Lairian
Hi guys,

My new kitten is going to be kept indoors and is microchipped but I was planning on going this week to get her ID tag and a cute collar. I've noticed that most of your cats don't have collars on. Is there a reason for that? My other cat has a collar (loose enough to come off if it got hooked of course) and I just assumed the new baby would too.

Also, I am going to get the kittens name put on her tag of course but am wanting to be 100% sure on her name before I make the tag. Does anyone have any good name suggestions for the last minute switch lol. I like the classy girly names. Letter doesn't matter. There are various pictures of her floating around the site for inspiration!

Thanks, Amy

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not put collars on my cats.
Some sphynx get rashes from collars also it depends on the cat.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also, I am going to get the kittens name put on her tag of course but am wanting to be 100% sure on her name before I make the tag. Does anyone have any good name suggestions for the last minute switch lol. I like the classy girly names. Letter doesn't matter. There are various pictures of her floating around the site for inspiration!

Thanks, Amy

Amy, you may want to check this thread for some name ideas:

http://www.sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=198&highlight=names

Hope this helps! :Smile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
As far as names, I can't help with that I am so bad and can never decide. I names Delilha our puppy (no one cares for her name in our house ut me) and Admin picked the names for the cats and he named our kids. To much pressure for me:Woo:.
As far as collars go we used ones with bells on them when they where small just so we could find them, but as they got older we only use them if we take them out.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Hi Amy,

Mine also wear collars if they will be out of the house, even just to come with me to the mailbox.

When choosing a collar, make sure to get one that is a "break-away" or saftey collar. They will break if the collar gets caught on something, so there is no risk of choking. You mentioned getting a loose collar, but that can actually be more dangerous than a snug collar, since these little guys are into everything, a looser collar can snag more easily on things.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho doesn't have a collar but only because I can't find one I like and that will not damage her skin. I have finally found a website that has collars that I like and will not harm her skin. I won't make her wear it unless she's outside though.

Last edited by a moderator:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hi guys,

My new kitten is going to be kept indoors and is microchipped but I was planning on going this week to get her ID tag and a cute collar. I've noticed that most of your cats don't have collars on. Is there a reason for that? My other cat has a collar (loose enough to come off if it got hooked of course) and I just assumed the new baby would too.

Thanks, Amy

You can have your telephone number or a name or something embroidered on the collar. If you choose a high quality collar that is soft, you should have no problems with rashes. It's the nylon and itchy collars that cause issues--just like they would on humans. If you aren't certain, wear the collar as a bracelet for a day and see if causes you issues.

I have collars for my cats, but they're usually outside of their collars for pictures.

Brooke

Banned
Yeah, I agree with Kalliee and PitRottMommy...the Smoothie collar is AWESOME. I just got one for Walter. The lining is so soft and smooth, like a cloud. I wish I had a blanket made out of that stuff! (Plus, you can bling it out with swarovski crystals! :Cool:)

streakin

Lairian
wow, I just checked out the you all suggested, it's awesome! If I ever decide to get a collar it will definatly be from there....cute clothes too!

Back