Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Collars on their babies for a sure feeder?

nikialexander

Lairian
Hi all,

We have a 14yo female Maine Coon with kidney issues , 1.5 yo male Sphynx with allergies and soon to be a 12 week old male Sphynx (with hopefully no ailments )and they will all need different diets. I’ve been told to get a Sure Petcare feeder from my vet that works with microchips or a tag for a collar so it only opens for the cat with that specific microchip or tag. My Maine coon has a microchip so I’m not worried about her as much but my Sphynx’s aren’t so I could get them chipped or I could put a collar on them. Does anyone keep a collar on their babies or better yet, has anyone used the sure pet feeders before? The two I have now always steal each other’s food so I’m thinking this will be a good solution and adding a kitten in the mix will make it super hard to separate them all and stop one another from eating the others food. They are relatively expensive as getting 3 of them plus stainless bowls is $790 so any feedback before I pull the trigger on this would be helpful Thank you!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi
I haven’t used the Sure feeder, but it gets pretty good reviews, so it should work pretty well for you. Both our Sphynxies are microchipped, and Cleopatra has been wearing a collar since she came home at 12 weeks old. At 9 years old, she likes her collar because of the bell. She has perfected the art of using her bell to tell us when to feed and when to get up. When her collar is removed, she stomps around and grumbles.
I use collars with bells so I know where they are, and so the neighbors know where they live if they get out. I microchipped them for safety’s sake, so we would have a better chance of getting them back if they got lost or stolen.
We put collars on all our kittens when they arrive, and the only cat who absolutely will not wear one is Marcus. He hates collars and will either get them off or get his jaw caught in them. Many kittens will get their jaws caught in the collar, especially if it is loose around the neck, but all of ours learned not to do that with no problem, except for Marcus. He is our nudist, and just will not wear a collar. If this happens with one of yours, then possibly a microchip would be the answer.

Do make sure that any collars you use fit properly and release easily, in case the cat gets it caught on something. Also know that Sphynxes will get their collars incredibly dirty very quickly. Their skin oils really do a number on the collars, so Cleo has a whole wardrobe of them, and I just change them every 2 weeks or so, and then wash them with our laundry. So if you have to have a magnet or electronic key on the collar, be sure it can be cleaned easily, and that it can be moved from collar to collar as they need cleaning.

nikialexander

Lairian
Thank you for the info! I wasn’t sure if others got their Sphynx’s microchipped or not since it would show in them a lot more.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So, we went to photograph their backs, and really could only get anything helpful from Marcus. He was chipped before we got him from the breeder, and he has a small scar on the large brown spot on his back. His chip is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the scar. Cleo shows no sign of ever having been chipped, and because she is what we call a “Fuzzy Sphynx,” her chip really wouldn’t show. I could feel their chips for a month or two after chipping, but today we can rarely feel Marcus’ chip and Cleo’s is buried deep apparently. Here’s a picture of Marcus’ back. The scar is circled in red and the chip area is circled in blue.
9F9E1FDD-408A-4C0D-A0EC-232CC8D60B02.jpeg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
No experience with the feeders but did her they work well. We have one of our cats on a special food, so we do not free feed and we feed 2 times a day and watch them to insure the one on prescriptive food does not eat the others etc. it has worked well. We also have timer dishes where if know we will be out late we just separate the one cat that is on special food in a room and it has worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nikialexander

Lairian
So, we went to photograph their backs, and really could only get anything helpful from Marcus. He was chipped before we got him from the breeder, and he has a small scar on the large brown spot on his back. His chip is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the scar. Cleo shows no sign of ever having been chipped, and because she is what we call a “Fuzzy Sphynx,” her chip really wouldn’t show. I could feel their chips for a month or two after chipping, but today we can rarely feel Marcus’ chip and Cleo’s is buried deep apparently. Here’s a picture of Marcus’ back. The scar is circled in red and the chip area is circled in blue.
View attachment 100935
Thank you so much for the picture! I know that they do migrate but that’s not bad at all. That makes my decision easier about the microchip! Our oldest Sphynx boy is a fuzzy one; mostly on his butt! Not sure how our new one will be!

nikialexander

Lairian
No experience with the feeders but did her they work well. We have one of our cats on a special food, so we do not free feed and we feed 2 times a day and watch them to insure the one on prescriptive food does not eat the others etc. it has worked well. We also have timer dishes where if know we will be out late we just separate the one cat that is on special food in a room and it has worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Id rather not separate them if I could since there I’ll be 3 of them but it still is an option. I know the Breeder says to free feed the kitten until about a year so I know the older two will gobble up his food lol.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have two of the surefeed feeders. Have used them for a few years, but originally on our Cornies. Used one for a while with our new elderly sphynx when she had her own food she came with and I didn't want the others eating it. She didn't come microchipped so we used the tag. She wore a breakaway collar. Worked well, though the collar can get dirty fast if you have a sphynx that tends to get oily quickly. We love the feeders and they learned them quickly. We also got the back cover for them as Gizzy learned to stand in back and stick his head through while one had triggered the dish.