Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Collars??

JessLynn

Lairian
Is there anyway that I can get my kitty use to wearing a collar? I have tried and tried to get Belza to wear one but she just freaks out and tries to bite it and rip her way out of it. Sometimes she even gets her jaw stuck on the little loop for the bell/id tag.

I would like her to wear one so she doesn't get stepped on. I live with my boyfriend and 2 other guys and they don't like to watch where they walk.. I have found myself not paying attention and stepped on her as well. I'm just trying to look out for the little girl, and am thinking that if I can get her to wear one with a bell it will be easier to notice her :Smile:

J

Jinxlover

I put collars on Blueberry, but a lot of people dont like them on there cats
The only way you can get her use to it is to put it on her and leave it. Make sure its tight so she cant get it in her mouth..

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Having her be uncomfortable for a day or two is nothing compared to what can happen if someone accidently steps on her. If she's lucky the worst thing that will happen is that a leg gets broken; if she's unlucky she'll have internal damage and die. In your situation (with all the guys tromping around) I would say it's necessary to her health to make sure she has a properly-fitted collar with a bell. If she can get the collar into her mouth then it's too loose.

Being someone who stepped on their baby and broke his leg, I'm really not exaggerating the dangers. I got lucky. I would hate for you or someone else to be unlucky.

Inferno12

Banned
I agree. If its tight enough they it wont get caught (make sure its not too tight).

I have to keep collars on Johnny because he likes to try to escape. They break him out a bit but I have bought enough to swap them out when they get nasty. Its worth the security that it gives us.

I have always had collars on my cats and the longest it has taken was a week for them to get used to it and then they never care about it again!

JessLynn

Lairian
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I will just have to make her suffer until she gets use to the dang thing. :Smile: I try and tell her it's not that bad.. But she doesn't believe me.
Her neck is so small it's hard to find a collar for her. We found a little purple one that had no limit on where you can latch it, so that helped. The only bad thing is that it is made out of a stretchy material. So I think that is why she can manage to get her jaw stuck? I make sure it's tight but not too tight on her and then I turn around and she has somehow managed to loosen it or something.. Maybe I will make a trip to the local pet store or petco tomorrow and try to find one that isn't made out of the same material..

LLevenson

Lairian
have you felt the seams on the collars to see if they are rough/scratchy and that's why she goes nutso trying to get them off?

I usually have Arias in a collar. I like the break-away collars best b/c the stretchy ones make me nervous...I feel like if Arias got caught around the collar, the stretchy ones could still do some damage, whereas the break-away type will, well, break away! My husband has a bad habit of taking the collar off him every night (says the collar gets in the way of petting). I don't mind that he takes it off, but he never remembers to put it back on (well, at least he *claims* to forget, but i'm not so sure about that).

At first I tried this one brand of collars (such cute designs!) and every time Arias immediately tried to get it off, which he usually succeeded in doing (even when I had it relatively tight). One day I was looking at the collar and on the back side (side against the skin) & I felt at the seams and it was scratchy. So I switched to a different brand (made sure to feel the seams before I purchased) and since then, he never tries to take them off. I was getting frustrated at the poor guy and he was just trying to let me know that it wasn't comfy for him (don't we ALL know how irritating it is to have a scratchy tag in clothes!)

they do also make kitten collars if your little girl's neck is really small. I've seen them at petsmart....make sure to get the kind for kittens and not puppies!

good luck!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I didn't use collars on my babies. That's how Ren ended up with a broken leg. If I used one though, I would have used a breakaway. I sure do wish I'd used one, it would have saved him a lot of pain and me $2k.

Inferno12

Banned
This is the website that i get Johnnys from. They are soft fabric and you can throw them in the washer. I just put some spray and wash on them and throw them in the wash with the clothes. They work great and lots and lots of designs

just make sure you get the cat collars because they are the break a way kind :ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo wasn't keen when I first put one on him, but I persisted aand he's got used to them now. I find it helps to use a kitten collar that fits well round their little necks as most normal adult cat collars seem too big for Mo. I usualy order mine off the internet. Maybe if you persist she'll get used to wearing one, it will probably be quicker than you think.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie will not wear a collar of any sort. I've tried several kinds. She always manages to get them off so I just leave her be. She will wear her harness all day if I let her tho and also her necklaces. Makes no sense to me. lol

JessLynn

Lairian
Snuffie will not wear a collar of any sort. I've tried several kinds. She always manages to get them off so I just leave her be. She will wear her harness all day if I let her tho and also her necklaces. Makes no sense to me. lol

:LOL: Haha that's too funny!
I went up to Petco a couple of days ago and bought a new breakaway kitten collar. She still isn't use to it and constantly is trying to get it off. I'm trying to be very patient with her though haha. She is so smart though! She gets her jaw underneath the collar some how then just pops it off.. Then runs around with it in her mouth like look what I did! Ugh, it's getting frustrating but I will not give up! :ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
: She gets her jaw underneath the collar some how then just pops it off.. Then runs around with it in her mouth like look what I did! Ugh, it's getting frustrating but I will not give up! :ThumbsUp:

Snuffie did the same thing. It hasn't been on her since! Its been converted to a cat toy now. lol It has so many teeth marks you can hardly tell it was once a sparkly collar that was sooo pretty...and pricey I might add! Now that I think of it, I think its the most expensive toy she has outside of her cat tree! lol

Back