Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Comforting Thoughts for Maree

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My 8 year old DSH, Maree, has been gradually losing weight over the last few weeks, but last night I caught her pooping bloody stool under our Christmas tree. I found another bloody poop on the other side of the tree this morning.

Our appointment didn't go as well as I had hoped. All the talk about fecal and blood work was scrapped as soon as my vet developed the xray. Maree has multiple tumors in both lungs and a larger tumor in her intestine. My vet sent me home with prednisone to last a month, a 2 week round of metronidazole to soothe her irritated bowels, and “the end of life talk†about when to bring her back.

<heavy sigh>

Attachments

• DSCN7490b.JPG
    DSCN7490b.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 32

spygirl

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that! Bad vet visits are discouraging and heart breaking. Especially this time of year. :Sad:

Decisions like that are never easy to make, but remember you're a good kitty mommy! You'll make the best decision you possibly can for your fur baby and that's what is really most important. Enjoy every moment you can with her. Sending you guys warm thoughts and I wish you nothing but the best. *Hugs*

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
this breaks my heart to read :( i'm so terribly sorry to hear about Maree. big hugs to you. all i can say, is what people have said to me... you'll know when it's time and the Dr's don't always know for sure when you're baby is ready to go. provide her with lots of love and care and take lots of pictures. charish the snuggle moments. i also recorded Bronxe's purr (if thats something you love to hear).
so very sorry you are having to go through this. i will keep Maree in my prayers, as well as you.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for all the supportive posts. I'm going to need them to help me through the afternoon. My daughters (15, 12 1/2, 10) will be home in a hour and I don't expect that I will be able to put their questions off until after my husband gets home from work at 6pm. Its going to be a rough afternoon for all of us. I dread it. Some days it sucks to be the mom.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh, Maree- you are too young for all of this!

I am so sorry your baby girl is sick :( Thoughts and prayers coming to both of ou!

She is probably older than 8 as the shelter we adopted her from back in 2002 labeled her an "older kitten/young adult". But I still wasn't expecting such an advanced terminal diagnosis for her age and symptoms.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear this and at this time of year it always feels twice as bad. I'm so sorry, She is such a gorgeous girl. I hope the medication helps to ease her issues and that you can find the right decision for you and Maree. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm very sorry to hear about Maree's prognosis. I know what you're going through as I lost my Sydney just last summer. All you can do is get her the best vet care you can (which you're already doing) and make her as comfortable as possible despite her illness.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sorry to hear this :Sad: I hope the medications will make her more comfortable during this time. Treasure each day that you have with your beautiful furry and know that you are an awesome mom - you rescued her from a shelter - and you and your family gave her a loving, wonderful home. I pray for her comfort and for you and your family during this time. Hugs.

susi794

Staff member
It sounds like your sweet Maree has been a good and loyal friend for quite a few years. I pray that the meds the vet gave you will ease her suffering and that when she has had enough, you will give her the only gift left to give her. In the mean time, cherish her--tell her how much she has added to your lives and how deeply you have loved her. It makes me sad to hear of the end of a loved one's life so close to the holidays, but her little body is tired and eventhough she loves you and your family, she will have to leave you. She has been a lucky girl to have been loved by you and your family. You gave her a good life and I know you'll give her a peaceful, dignified passing. I pray for peace for you all and especially for your kids who I'm sure will be heartbroken.
God bless you for loving this furry girl, for giving her a home when she needed one desperately and for giving her a wonderful life.
So sorry,
Susi and the gang

Back