Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Computer and TV cords - do they chew?

Lisa Bradley

Lairian
Hey - first post! My kitten is coming on Sunday and I'm a little concerned about leaving him alone with the inevitable mass of cords behind the computer/TV.
I keep them neat anyway, pre-cat, twist tied into place and tucked away but troublemakers will find trouble.
Do any of you unplug the power bars when you leave ?
Thoughts?
Thx!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thankfully ours are not obsessed with wires. You will have to wait and see. You can buy bitter apple spray to rub on them if your baby is fixated on wires. Hopefully just having plenty of toys will keep them occupied. Just think a few more days until Gotcha Day!!!!

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It wasn't until we re-arranged our family room (years later) that I noticed tons of little chew marks on several different cords and cables. Oops! You'll have to watch your kitty closely, and if you see that they are really chewing on everything, you'll have to be extra careful. Congrats on your baby!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Almost gotcha day, you must be so excited.

Some sphynx will chew the heck out of things. Others never do so. My crew (3) never chews on things. Best is to watch your boy arefully and see what he does. Hope he turns out to be a non-chewer:)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My boy Ossi chewed on one thing, and one thing only, the iPad cord. I don't know why, different taste or different plastic?! My friend has two Devon rex cats and they chew on everything. She's tried lemon juice on the cords, aluminum foil and so on. It's a good idea to keep your eyes open and if it turns out that he's a chewer there are lots of tips and trix to try!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My cats have never chewed cords. Yarns, plastic, twist ties, rubber bands, q-tips, fingers, ears and each other, they have chewed. But never cords.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lisa Bradley , welcome to the lair family ! Look forward to Sunday gotcha pics!
Ome thing I have leaned is to kitty proof for life
They get into everthing !
Watch hot stove tops , dryers , cords , hair bands, hair hot rooms etc

You can check with your local home improvement store for "cord keepers " cord channels
To cover cords and tv cords. I personally don't unplug the power strips
Also be sure tv's are secure ! Mine will jump on top of the flat screen tv and try to run across the top!
I put on a tv wall mount - if a tv is on a console - there are child proof straps to use to secure TVs from toppling over .

Have you decided on names for your baby ? :) have a pic to share ?

Lisa Bradley

Lairian
Thanks guys for the replies!

Kinda along the lines of what I was thinking to provide lots of more interesting options than tucked away wires haha.

I'll watch him like you guys said and see, but It's cool to know most of you havent had a huge problem with it.

@yodamom also thx for the tip about securing the TV back.

My breeder has sent a few pics but I haven't got them handy on my phone, I'll introduce him on Sunday though!

Back