Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Concerned about a potential heart murmur...

eldellemonache

Lairian
Hi, SphynxLair!

Two weeks ago, all of my hopes were answered - I had been put into contact with a distant acquaintance that needed to re-home his 8-year-old Sphynx, Gaston. Gaston was bought as a gift by an ex-boyfriend, and had been consistently been in good health. This acquaintance needed to re-home Gaston due to a recent break-up that left him displaced; he apparently found temporary residence with another ex-boyfriend, but couldn't bring his pets. He wasn't asking for any money, just a loving home for Gaston; he added me on Facebook and Instagram, and wanted to keep in contact with us and Gaston, so I trusted he was honest. :grumpy:

So, this weekend my partner and I drove to NYC to pick up Gaston. He was clean - recently bathed, ears cleaned, teeth clean, nails clipped - and social. It was obvious that his owner loved and cared for him. We've had him for three days now, and I intended on taking him to a local vet clinic this Friday. The acquaintance gave me Gaston's vet records, but only had a bill for services ($65.00 for "Cytology In house 3 SITES," and $22.00 for "Clavamox drops 15ml" dated 6/23/08), and a homemade vaccination record (from what I can tell, he was last vaccinated in 2007? Which is the year Gaston was born).

Last night, my partner caught Gaston peeing in the bathroom sink, which had me worried he could have cystitis, since he was peeing openly outside his litter box. I called his former owner to see if Gaston had a history of urinary tract infection, and he informed me that he didn't have a history of cystitis, but that Gaston had been diagnosed with a heart murmur - when I asked if he had any ultrasound results, documentation, etc. he said it was included in the records he gave me. As far as I can tell, there's no documentation for any cardiac examination. The records include the names of three different veterinarians in NYC, and don't include the name of his breeder he may have reported the murmur to - I was only told that he had been bred locally in Brooklyn, NY.

I honestly don't know where to start to put all of this craziness together. It's been three days, but I'm already in love with Gaston - he's such a sweetheart, loves to cuddle and play. If I call the three veterinarians and inform them I'm Gaston's new owner, will they send me complete records? I don't think I'm going to get an ounce of truth out of his former owner, but I'm going to follow-up with him to see if he can clarify when Gaston was diagnosed with the heart murmur and by whom.

Any insight into dealing with this would be so helpful! Since I became interested in the Sphynx breed, I've read up on HCM, but still have questions - at 8-years-old, is Gaston still likely to develop HCM? Should I persist in getting Gaston's old vet records, or just seek out a cat cardiologist in my area? I have no idea even what to say to his former owner, I feel confused and lied to; he seems unstable, but does care about Gaston. Where do I go from here? :bored:

I'm sorry for rambling, just feeling very lost and nervous! :eek:

Attachments

• Gaston.jpg
    Gaston.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 23

Yoda mom

Staff member
@eldellemonache , thank you for opening your heart and home to sweet Handsome Gaston-
He has the love and care he deserves with you -that's what matters... from here forward-
You can call past vets and ask if they would be so kind to fax or send for copies to you/ your vet.

Personally , I would put my energy forward with Gaston- get him a baseline wellness check at your vet and go from there- mention the possible Heart murmur- who knows what's true from his prior owner

HairlessHearts has reduced cost HCM screenings schedule I can send a link to to see if they have one in your area- or a good source for referral and reading
Hairless Hearts - Charitable Sphynx HCM scanning and support for breeders and pet owners
I would take one step at a time and starts new fresh Life With Gaston starting with your own vet recommendation-

Many kitties can and do live long lives with a heart murmur -
Please keep us updated and give him extra head smooches from me!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, SphynxLair!

Two weeks ago, all of my hopes were answered - I had been put into contact with a distant acquaintance that needed to re-home his 8-year-old Sphynx, Gaston. Gaston was bought as a gift by an ex-boyfriend, and had been consistently been in good health. This acquaintance needed to re-home Gaston due to a recent break-up that left him displaced; he apparently found temporary residence with another ex-boyfriend, but couldn't bring his pets. He wasn't asking for any money, just a loving home for Gaston; he added me on Facebook and Instagram, and wanted to keep in contact with us and Gaston, so I trusted he was honest. :grumpy:

So, this weekend my partner and I drove to NYC to pick up Gaston. He was clean - recently bathed, ears cleaned, teeth clean, nails clipped - and social. It was obvious that his owner loved and cared for him. We've had him for three days now, and I intended on taking him to a local vet clinic this Friday. The acquaintance gave me Gaston's vet records, but only had a bill for services ($65.00 for "Cytology In house 3 SITES," and $22.00 for "Clavamox drops 15ml" dated 6/23/08), and a homemade vaccination record (from what I can tell, he was last vaccinated in 2007? Which is the year Gaston was born).

Last night, my partner caught Gaston peeing in the bathroom sink, which had me worried he could have cystitis, since he was peeing openly outside his litter box. I called his former owner to see if Gaston had a history of urinary tract infection, and he informed me that he didn't have a history of cystitis, but that Gaston had been diagnosed with a heart murmur - when I asked if he had any ultrasound results, documentation, etc. he said it was included in the records he gave me. As far as I can tell, there's no documentation for any cardiac examination. The records include the names of three different veterinarians in NYC, and don't include the name of his breeder he may have reported the murmur to - I was only told that he had been bred locally in Brooklyn, NY.

I honestly don't know where to start to put all of this craziness together. It's been three days, but I'm already in love with Gaston - he's such a sweetheart, loves to cuddle and play. If I call the three veterinarians and inform them I'm Gaston's new owner, will they send me complete records? I don't think I'm going to get an ounce of truth out of his former owner, but I'm going to follow-up with him to see if he can clarify when Gaston was diagnosed with the heart murmur and by whom.

Any insight into dealing with this would be so helpful! Since I became interested in the Sphynx breed, I've read up on HCM, but still have questions - at 8-years-old, is Gaston still likely to develop HCM? Should I persist in getting Gaston's old vet records, or just seek out a cat cardiologist in my area? I have no idea even what to say to his former owner, I feel confused and lied to; he seems unstable, but does care about Gaston. Where do I go from here? :bored:

I'm sorry for rambling, just feeling very lost and nervous! :eek:
Welcome! Check out this post on litter issues - Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box - there are multiple things that can cause peeing outside the box. Also, I would see your local vet and see what his take is on moving forward if in fact he finds and confirms a heart murmur. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would try to get all his Vet records. Take him to your Vet.
Start fresh. I would get a appointment with a cardiologist and see
if he does have a heart murmur. See if HCM is diagnosed, enlarged
heart. What scale is the murmur. Heart marine's can just be marine's.
Never cause any problems. But, I would want to know all I could find
out about his health, especially his age. I'm sorry, but, I feel, you were
mislead, not being informed about his health issues, the murmur.
Who knows, he could have been not using his litter box, when, you got
him. I would also have him checked for a UTI and crystals. If he does
or poos outside the box, clean with a enzyme cleaner. Or he will
continue to go to the same places. He could be stressed also. Bless his
heart, this being his third home. I cannot understand, why, people keep reigning these babies, some have 4-5 homes. I can understand maybe once, if it's a
owner's death, or financially not able, looking job can't make ends meet.
But, other than that, I just don't understand. Please keep us updated.

TwoSphynx

Lairian
I wouldn't stress to much. Get a vet check so you know his current health status. If the vet confirms a murmur ask the grade. If you can afford it get a referral to a cardiologist for a heart ultrasound (echo).

Great that he has a new home with you because you clearly love him to pieces already

eldellemonache

Lairian
Welcome! Check out this post on litter issues - Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box - there are multiple things that can cause peeing outside the box. Also, I would see your local vet and see what his take is on moving forward if in fact he finds and confirms a heart murmur. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Thank-you so much! I'm feeling more collected already. :shame:

I would try to get all his Vet records. Take him to your Vet.
Start fresh. I would get a appointment with a cardiologist and see
if he does have a heart murmur. See if HCM is diagnosed, enlarged
heart. What scale is the murmur. Heart marine's can just be marine's.
Never cause any problems. But, I would want to know all I could find
out about his health, especially his age. I'm sorry, but, I feel, you were
mislead, not being informed about his health issues, the murmur.
Who knows, he could have been not using his litter box, when, you got
him. I would also have him checked for a UTI and crystals. If he does
or poos outside the box, clean with a enzyme cleaner. Or he will
continue to go to the same places. He could be stressed also. Bless his
heart, this being his third home. I cannot understand, why, people keep reigning these babies, some have 4-5 homes. I can understand maybe once, if it's a
owner's death, or financially not able, looking job can't make ends meet.
But, other than that, I just don't understand. Please keep us updated.

I'm still grappling with his former owner in an effort to find out WHEN Gaston was diagnosed with a heart murmur... He doesn't have any vet records past 2008. I don't think Gaston was outright neglected, but he certainly comes from a struggling home. When I was contacted about adopting Gaston, I was initially worried that his owner was "pet dumping" because age-related or behavioral issues - I still don't know if I have the full story. We may never know though! :sour: He's stuck with me now though, I love him too much to give up on him! :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't stress to much. Get a vet check so you know his current health status. If the vet confirms a murmur ask the grade. If you can afford it get a referral to a cardiologist for a heart ultrasound (echo).

Great that he has a new home with you because you clearly love him to pieces already

Thank-you for your support! He's already part of our little family, even just after three (now four!) days my partner and I are so attached to him! :X3::X3: Gaston is such a character, with so much life. The circumstances in which we came to have him are a little disconcerting, but I couldn't be happier to find him. :love:

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats on finding your new love!

When my Dexter was a kitten, he had a low-grade heart murmur. I found this out at his first check up after he came home. 3 of the vets at the hospital listened and they could all hear it - though it was very faint. They said it was about a grade 2. So, first thing I would do is have your vet check him.

After a couple of months, the murmur didn't go away, but it didn't get any worse. Just for my own sanity, I spent the money to have x-rays and ultra sounds. He does not have HCM, but one of his heart valves doesn't close all the way when pumping, causing a slight murmur. Really no big deal at all. So there is a variety of reasons for a murmur.

I've since moved and my new vet can barely hear it. (Grade 1) (he's a little over a year now) She was surprised the other vets were able to hear it at all and made such a fuss over it.

The few first months before he had his x-ray/ultra sound I did extensive research. Since your guy is 8, I would think signs on HCM would be pretty prevalent by now. Like trouble breathing or panting with normal exercise. I've heard HCM takes most cats at a relatively young age.

Good luck - try not to freak out like I did. Keep us posted!

Back