Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Concerned Age Spots/dark pigmentation? Is this normal or a serious problem?

kittygoddess52

Lairian
I got my sphynx from craiglist 5 years ago. Age unknown. I think she is around 15 years old. These spots were not there 5 years ago and are increasing rapidly over the past 1-2 years. She is also obese and on a diet. Her skin has been very oily and she is always dirty so I increased her showers to every other day and rub organic coconut oil on her. She now is crusty and dirty. Please help.....I know she is too large to groom herself properly. I love her dearly. I have not taken her to the vet because I thought it was normal. She does not go outside, but perches near windows. I live in south Florida. Any advice appreciated.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I got my sphynx from craiglist 5 years ago. Age unknown. I think she is around 15 years old. These spots were not there 5 years ago and are increasing rapidly over the past 1-2 years. She is also obese and on a diet. Her skin has been very oily and she is always dirty so I increased her showers to every other day and rub organic coconut oil on her. She now is crusty and dirty. Please help.....I know she is too large to groom herself properly. I love her dearly. I have not taken her to the vet because I thought it was normal. She does not go outside, but perches near windows. I live in south Florida. Any advice appreciated.

View attachment 54508
It appears to be pigmentation - see this similar thread - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/multiplying-large-black-spots.29853/#post-360074 you could always see the vet for a quick check up for piece of mind. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Might be time for just a wellness check. Just a base line blood panel will help gauge how your senior baby is doing. You mention washing them more frequently. That often causes more oil so you might be over doing it. Happy to hear you are watching your baby and getting together a game plan for 2015.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kittygoddess52 , bless you for giving her your heart and home- what is her name? Lovcro see more pics of your sweetie..

We battled pigmentation here too in Florida-one one of my adoptees- I had to move the cat tree so they can't sun all day-
They are persistent to get to the sunny windows here :)

A wellness check may not be a bad idea for a senior panel done -

I bath mine 1x a month with Hylyt shampoo I highly recommend ..
I do not use any coconut oil here and this 1x a month routine works well-
** I use a pair of exfoliating gloves during bath time - I bought in a pair at big lots (1.50) or they sell in singles at the dollar store.

In between I take warm water in a container with a teeny drop of Hylyt shampoo . I dip in baby face clothes and do wipe downs with kitty on my lap on a towel- I love using baby face clothes on them- recall gets grime off
My adoptees pigmentation went away on it's own- I did not scrub it- just normal washes with exfoliating gloves

Many of us have on hand "vetericyn" spray of skin scratches etc- I bought it online and use it for hot spots on the dogs too- it is non toxic and only takes a little bit

Hope this helps- please keep us updated and give her a big snuggles from me! So special to see a senior sphynx-
Love to see more pics of her!

Also - you say she is on a diet - we have lairiqns here that have had amazing results with their kitties on as diet tha may be worth reaching out and posting a thread -

I recommended searching forums here too for urticaria pigmentosa and pigmentation- many of us have had pigmentation issues with our babies we discussed here on the lair..

Please keep in touch - we are here for you and your girl!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If it's not red or irritating, it probably is just pigmentation.
I wouldn't use coconut oil, it makes them oiled and I would try
bathing once a week or ever other.
You'll see what's best for her. I would keep her out of the Sun.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Looks like pigment - have seen something very similar on a friend's OAP black sphynx.

Elaina

Lairian
My little girl started getting quite a large spread of pigmentation on her arms, I was sure something was up, but it was just pigmentation. Now after 2 months it's all gone. I really recommend exfoliating gloves when bathing. In between baths baby wipes to remove oils and I personally wouldn't use coconut oil, it made my little girl like a grease bomb! :p

Back