Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Considering A Sphynx

Dianne

Lairian
Hi there, my partner and I are considering getting a Sphynx cat. Problem is, we have no idea of how much maintence and work goes into owning 1.

We have a domestic short hair cat and she is very sweet and we give her a lot of time and well food etc. My partner as a child had a long haired cat who was good at looking after his own long coat without needing a brush.

Glancing at some of the posts here regarding problems has got me asking myself, is this such a good move for us as we are not all that sure that we could do the bathing as we have had no experience doing so but know that cats hate water.

Does this breed of cat have health problems and require a lot of care ( moreso than a domestic short hair ? ) Do they require consistant vet and grooming visits moreso than the domestic short hair we love ?

I could look up more about the breed using google but I want to know about them from the pet owner side of it rather than a list of facts.

Would the cat do well in Denver Colorado ( where it sometimes snows in winter 10 snow days every month on average )

Also wonder about the little sweaters for them. Where is the best place to shop and what would I need for the little kitty.

Do they get along well with other breeds of cats?

My partner is particulary fond of the large eared breed of cat, if the Sphynx doesn't sound right for us by going by what I've posted, is there another breed with the large ears that might ?

If I sound like a noob, I am and really, I just want to make sure the cat is right for us before purchasing one :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dianne and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad that you found us and that you are doing your homework before getting another pet!:ThumbsUp:

Does this breed of cat have health problems and require a lot of care ( moreso than a domestic short hair ? ) Do they require consistent vet and grooming visits moreso than the domestic short hair we love ?-As with any breed of cat their can come sickness and health care, this breed has no known issues that a hairy cat would or would not have pending and still being researched is a possible genetic gene similar to the Maine Coon cat breed with heart problems relating to HCM. That information can be found here http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/sphynx-cats-hcm-3233/
As far as grooming do not let their lack of fur fool you, they do require weekly baths, ear cleaning and nail clipping

Would the cat do well in Denver Colorado ( where it sometimes snows in winter 10 snow days every month on average ) -As long as you give the Sphynx a warn place to snuggle and maintain a comfortable temperature that would suit you, they will be fine! The Sphynx is not an outdoor cat.

Also wonder about the little sweaters for them. Where is the best place to shop and what would I need for the little kitty. -Right here on Sphynxlair! Our member ckutkuhn7 makes wonderful clothing and Sphynx accessories! You can find that here http://www.sphynxlair.com/f54/

Do they get along well with other breeds of cats? -As with any new animal there is no guarantee on them getting along with other pets, it would probably work out much better with a new kitten as apposed to an older cat in a house hold with other pets. But it's generally the luck of the draw with re-homed sphynx.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Diane and welcome! I think you and your partner should try to find a sphynx breeder or owner in your area that would let you visit to see the breed in person. You are doing the right thing asking your questions here. They are truly a wonderful breed and I think I can speak for lots of members when I say I was not a cat person before I found the sphynx.
You seem to be concerned about the bathing part, well no hait is a catch 22 because you the do need a bath, ear cleaning and nail clipping. This is not to hard once you get the hang of it and it helps if the sphynx has gotten bathed since it was a baby.
Good luck

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair!! You have received great advice so far!! I do agree with ilovemysphynx, you should find a breeder in your area and try to make a visit just to make sure. She'll be able to answer questions as well I'm sure.
Two Sphynx own me. One loves baths and is about 16 months old and the other is only 14 weeks old and currently hates baths. lol Once she is older and gets used to getting a bath every week to every other week she will become more accustomed to it and won't fuss so much. Their grooming needs are a little awkward at first but once you get the swing of things its not so bad. Its learning what works best for you kitty that is the hard part. fcddddddddddddddddddddd...and SoBe just said HI. lol
Goodluck in your search and feel free to ask questions as they arise!

p.s. And yes I do make clothes for our 4 legged friends. I try to keep my prices below the store prices as much as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to clothe your new Sphynx once you have found one!!

Inferno12

Banned
Welcome to the lair! Yes Sphynx are a little more high maintenance then a normal cat but if you ask any of it its waaaaaayyyy worth it! :Wink:

I live in colorado springs and I know Johnnys breeder is in Denver so yes they do well in the cold weather but they have to have sweaters and they need the heater turned up in the house. Most of us special order clothes or just buy dog clothes. They dont fit as well but they work. I have found that the clothes in Targets $1 bin fit Johnny the best.

Everyone here as answered the other question just as I would so I wont repeat them! If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask. There are many extremely knowledgeable people in here and there are no stupid questions! Trust us.....we ask each other some pretty interesting questions :LOL::LOL:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish all people put so much thought into getting a pet instead of just running out and getting one!!!
Siamese also have big ears. I almost got a siamese because I wanted a talkative cat. But am glad I got a sphynx, because it is the closest thing I will have to having a real baby! he is also quite talkative
Nofuratu shops at Wallmart, Zellers, Homesense, Petsmart and also buys online from Sphynxlair and other stores.
We live in atlantic Canada, New Brunswick, where it snows 7 months of the year and have no problem with him being cold. We actually take him out in the winter!! He has a winter liner for his travel bag, a quilted cover for his stroller and loves to wear hats!
He also has a blog where he writes about the places he visits, and stuff he buys. He blogs no matter how much snow is on the ground. You may find it helpful to read to get an idea on what Sphynx are like Adventures of A Naked Cat
As for bathing its not that hard. We do it once a week, and then sit cuddled in front of the tv and clean toes and ears while he falls asleep.
The most important thing with Sphynx is that you have the TIME to spend with them. They dont like being alone, which is why we started taking Nofuratu everywhere with us. I think the fact that you have another cat will help keep him company.
Good luck!

Bella07

Banned
Everyone has given you great advice! Not much more to add, but if you are looking for the Sphynx personality, with the great face, maybe you should look into a F1 Sphynx. It is a cross between a Domestic ShortHair, and a Sphynx. (Breeders do this to widen the gene pool.) All of the kittens from this litter will have fur, but still contain some of the great aspects of the Sphynx, but they have fur! (Which means, you won't have to bath once a week.) Also, there are Oriental Short Hairs, of which I am a fan of as well. They have huge ears! Just some ideas, so good luck with your search!

Back