Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Considering adding a second sphynx... opinions needed/wanted!

DobbyBaby

Lairian
Hi Everyone!
My husband and I are long time lurkers of this community. Anytime we have a question we search it on here and generally find an answer! So first and foremost, thank you to everyone who contributes. It’s honestly a life saver having this resource.
We’ve joined as of today to get some opinions... I’m sorry in advance this will be LONG.

My sweet boy Dobby just turned 4 this year. We originally got him as a “friend” for our dog. Both of us were working at the time and felt our dog needed a bit of company but knew we couldn’t commit the time to training a puppy.
We figured we had a pretty good setup. We both worked super close to our home so our pets never went more than 4-5 hours alone. We’d come home, eat lunch, take the dog for a midday walk, play with dobby, give treats, and head back to work.
Our situation has vastly changed (not in a bad way at all). We have relocated to Texas (from Canada) as of 2 months ago for my husbands work. I currently am waiting for an employement authorization so I stay home all day with the pets while he works. We’re not 100% sure if I will even look for employment when the authorization comes in, as were in the phase of getting ready to start trying for a baby.
With all of that said, dobby seems to be relatively “bored”. Maybe I’m only noticing it because I’m home all day now? The dog, to be honest, has never fully taken to Dobby the way Dobby LOVES him. It’s a bit funny, but really we had hoped they’d be better friends. The dog is now 8 and the biggest sweetheart but I don’t see him changing his colours anytime soon.
The issues with dobby seem to be annoyed, bored, or generally unsettled. We moved from a 2 bedroom condo in Canada to a huge 2 storey home with a backyard and pool. We thought “the animals will LOVE this”! We figured Dobby would run around all day having stairs to fly up and down and so many windows. He loves water so we thought he’d sit at the window and stare at the pool/waterfall .... not so much.
Basically he stays in bed most of the day. I’ve recently started getting him up and out of bed around noon and shutting the door to our bedroom. He has 3 nice kitty beds in various spots, a cat tree in front of a window, toys everywhere etc... but instead of either relaxing under a blanket in his own beds, or playing, he meows and meows, and honesty just tries to destroy everything. Pushing stuff off the counter, jumping on all the counters, scratching furniture when he knows he’s not allowed. I spend half my day chasing the bastard around!! I should also quickly mention IF we let him sleep all day, all this craziness happens at night and we get no sleep. So we have also recently been closing him INTO our room. It’s huge and we put water & litter out for him but he’s basically sleeping all night anyway.

We’re seriously considering adding a second Sphynx in hopes that they will occupy each other a bit more. A few factors that worry us:
- dobby will teach the new one bad habits and it’ll be double as big of a headache
- the dog will lose his mind (lol)
- dobby doesn’t take to him like we’d hoped and we have 3 pets at war
- I am allergic to dobby but that’s never stopped me from loving the absolute crap out of him. He’s my baby and sleeps right with me every night. I’m a bit concerned the small bit of tolerance I’ve built up to dobby will be undone by another cat & my allergies will literally drive me to insanity.
- we feed dobby a fully raw diet and I guess I’m a bit hesitant to double that cost & amount of work. We’d do anything for our pets obviously... but these are our legitimate concerns!!
- with the potential of adding a human baby into the mix next year, I’m not sure I can handle a kitten and a baby AND my already insane kitty, all while taking care of my first baby - the dog.

Any insight from anyone would be extremely helpful for us. We appreciate it in advance!!

TheZu

Lairian
Hmm... That is a lot to process. One thing I would consider is perhaps fostering a kitty first, if you can? That way you can test the waters without necessarily making that commitment or feeling guilty about it later if it ends up being too much. The foster gets a home to live in instead of a shelter, and you don't feel guilty because yoyou' not preventing them from getting a forever home. And, if it works out, you can look at adopting the foster kitty!

I don't know if Sphynx fosters come up a lot in your area, so it might not be a feasible idea, but if your allergies can stand it, there might be some other breeds with similar temperaments to Sphynx that would get along and match the sphynx temperament (Devon Rexes and Bengals coming first to mind).

DobbyBaby

Lairian
Hmm... That is a lot to process. One thing I would consider is perhaps fostering a kitty first, if you can? That way you can test the waters without necessarily making that commitment or feeling guilty about it later if it ends up being too much. The foster gets a home to live in instead of a shelter, and you don't feel guilty because yoyou' not preventing them from getting a forever home. And, if it works out, you can look at adopting the foster kitty!

I don't know if Sphynx fosters come up a lot in your area, so it might not be a feasible idea, but if your allergies can stand it, there might be some other breeds with similar temperaments to Sphynx that would get along and match the sphynx temperament (Devon Rexes and Bengals coming first to mind).

Thank you so much for the awesome advice. We had actually been browsing LAST NIGHT the availability of any fosters of the breed nearby. So it’s definitely high on the idea list. There was none to be had but we signed up to be notified if any become available. I have also been looking at volunteering at various shelters/rescues that need help as I can’t work right now - were just waiting to get a second vehicle and I will take the plunge. But hoping that being more involved with the rescue community maybe something will cross our path!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DobbyBaby ,Welcome officially to the lair family!
So glad the community had been a great resource !
Congrats on your new home! I allll,oat moved to the Dallas area
The houses are huge!

Love love your Dobby avatar pic! What's yor dogs name ? Do you have a pic?

It a whole new world for everyone
Mine explored and knocked things over running amuck to back in my house .
They settled and all is well .

There are no guarantees when adding a new kitty- some members prefer s kitten to add to a home with adult cats
I have 4 adult adoptees amd they are very bonded .

It's a lot to think about and I am glad you came out from lurking to seek members suggestions and experiences :)

Look forward to lots of pics and tales

One great toy is the Dabird pole toy to wear out Dobby ! Just be sure to hide it in a closet after bcz they are knows to chew the string

I got mine the one fast cat exercise wheel - omg my freshy Toby is non stop in it !
Lol the others watch him go go go !

Yes it can be double trouble but also could create a balance- I train my sphynx like my dogs

Lol my Aussie dog looks at my sphynx rubbing on his fluffy fur and purring in his face licking his head
He just stands there lol

As mentioned , some members find a kitten with an adult cat a good fit

Allergies - definitely doe,thigh to consider - only you know best

Amy kitty would be blessed with your hearts and home
Go with your gut

Look forward to updates :)
Head smooches sent ! Look forward to pics of Dobby and your pup!

I am sure members will chime in

Ps @naomi may have some great advice on fostering experience
Also be sure to find out if foster kitties are clear of any transmittalable health issues etc

Last edited:

DobbyBaby

Lairian
@DobbyBaby ,Welcome officially to the lair family!
So glad the community had been a great resource !
Congrats on your new home! I allll,oat moved to the Dallas area
The houses are huge!

Love love your Dobby avatar pic! What's yor dogs name ? Do you have a pic?

It a whole new world for everyone
Mine explored and knocked things over running amuck to back in my house .
They settled and all is well .

There are no guarantees when adding a new kitty- some members prefer s kitten to add to a home with adult cats
I have 4 adult adoptees amd they are very bonded .

It's a lot to think about and I am glad you came out from lurking to seek members suggestions and experiences :)

Look forward to lots of pics and tales

One great toy is the Dabird pole toy to wear out Dobby ! Just be sure to hide it in a closet after bcz they are knows to chew the string

I got mine the one fast cat exercise wheel - omg my freshy Toby is non stop in it !
Lol the others watch him go go go !

Yes it can be double trouble but also could create a balance- I train my sphynx like my dogs

Lol my Aussie dog looks at my sphynx rubbing on his fluffy fur and purring in his face licking his head
He just stands there lol

As mentioned , some members find a kitten with an adult cat a good fit

Allergies - definitely doe,thigh to consider - only you know best

Amy kitty would be blessed with your hearts and home
Go with your gut

Look forward to updates :)
Head smooches sent ! Look forward to pics of Dobby and your pup!

I a, sure members will chime in

Ps @naomi may have some great advice on fostering experience
Also be sure to find out if foster kitties are clear of any transmittalable health issues etc

Thank you so much for the awesome positivity and feedback! We appreciate it a lot. Our doggy's name is Ted :happy:.
We definitely would love to see how another Sphynx would fit in. We actually have that Dabird toy! Dobby loves it for about 10 minutes then loses interest. I try and play with him before we all climb into bed.

We know Dobby is just looking for attention when it comes to knocking stuff around. We've sat in the same room minding our business and watch him knock over stuff in the kitchen and we don't react. Just to see if he's doing it for fun or just to get our attention and feed him. I guess that's one of the few downfalls with feeding him raw. He's got a little internal clock that will NOT rest for anyone. When it's anywhere in the window of 30 minutes of his feeding time, he goes nuts. But as I was saying, we watch him knock stuff off, make a huge crash, and he just looks up at us. So I know it's partly my fault for giving him reactions in the past. But I'm working on it!

We will definitely update if we decide on adding a new little one to the herd. Thanks again for the advice!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DobbyBaby , awhhhh he sounds like the typical sphynx knocking over stuff ! Mine get fresh around feeding time too!
Must be a sphynx thing lol

Now instead of knocking stuff over "as much"

I added the smart cat climber to a door - @Catzzzmeow kitties have it too

My 4 run up and down it at chow time and do less knocking stuff over

They wait and perch like little gargoyles on it !

I put two small towels rolled up behind it bcz they really pounce on and off it up and down
Like a sphynx super highway

(Smartcat climber )online at various sites
I even think online at bed bath store and could prob ably of those 20% off coupons
I got mine at chewy just in case I needed to send it back easily -

Highly recommend the smart cat climber -
I started training them to it with kibble pieces

Now when they get that food clock going they pounce on the smart cat climber

Keep us updated on your decision to expand your sphynx family!

Ps I had a Bengal. Cat thst used to love being taken for rides on the pool float raft :)

Yoda girl sphynx I had actually swam in the pool a few times but didn't let this be a habit bcz of pool Chems even with a "salt system" pool

Head smooches to Dobby and Ted :)
Do you have a pic of Ted ? All are lair family !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

DobbyBaby

Lairian
So I think we are going to take the plunge and look for another sphynxy. I can’t help but feel that dobby just needs a furless brother or sister in his life.

We are in the Houston, Texas area. What is the best way to find a reputable breeder? We are willing to drive pretty much anywhere!

Any info would be great :)

Yoda mom

Staff member

DobbyBaby

Lairian
Hey @Yoda mom ! Thanks for keeping your eye out and sorry this has taken so long to respond! We have been travelling a bit lately and testing out some new pet sitters as well as changing Dobby’s food entirely to try and combat his crazy hunger that we think might have contributed to his ”attitude” haha!
We are still keeping our eyes out for any sphynx’s up for adoption & would definitely still consider getting him a sibling although the food change has given us a lot of relief. He’s doing really well on it and calmed down a lot so we’re ALL getting better sleeps that’s for sure!

We’ll keep you posted if we do end up finding him a playmate. I know he’d love one!

COsphynx

Lairian
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one in this boat lol. I haven't logged in here for quite a long time, but came looking for suggestions for my Stella girl. She has been driving me absolutely nuts, and it has crossed my mind that maybe getting her a friend would calm her down a bit. We have several dogs, most even though raised with her do not get along with her so they take turns being loose in the main area. The 2 dogs that do get along with her are getting very old and in the last 6 months or so have stopped appreciating her playful advances. We will be having our first baby ( human lol ) in September, and I am getting nervous for how I am going to handle all the chaos. Stella has toys, gets plenty of attention, and she is fed a raw diet and gets plenty of food. She is constantly knocking the trash over, jumping on the counters and tearing open packages of bread or anything else she can find, and jumps on the stove when I'm trying to cook! She gets VERY vocal when she doesn't get her way.. It's just really starting to stress me out as I'm trying to picture handling a newborn with all of her craziness. Let me know if you get Dobby a kitty playmate and how it works out, if it helps I would definitely consider it for my home!

DobbyBaby

Lairian
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one in this boat lol. I haven't logged in here for quite a long time, but came looking for suggestions for my Stella girl. She has been driving me absolutely nuts, and it has crossed my mind that maybe getting her a friend would calm her down a bit. We have several dogs, most even though raised with her do not get along with her so they take turns being loose in the main area. The 2 dogs that do get along with her are getting very old and in the last 6 months or so have stopped appreciating her playful advances. We will be having our first baby ( human lol ) in September, and I am getting nervous for how I am going to handle all the chaos. Stella has toys, gets plenty of attention, and she is fed a raw diet and gets plenty of food. She is constantly knocking the trash over, jumping on the counters and tearing open packages of bread or anything else she can find, and jumps on the stove when I'm trying to cook! She gets VERY vocal when she doesn't get her way.. It's just really starting to stress me out as I'm trying to picture handling a newborn with all of her craziness. Let me know if you get Dobby a kitty playmate and how it works out, if it helps I would definitely consider it for my home!

Hey! So nice to hear that someone is going through something similar. Not "nice" but ... you know! I can't give you any updates on getting a second sphynx as we haven't been able to find any in the area to adopt/foster or buy. We are on some waiting lists but we are definitely wary of getting one from a less than reputable place. Aside from that, Dobby has been doing A LOT better since we switched his food. Without going into too much detail (unless you want it) we switched him off of raw. It was a big decision because we both really trusted raw as being the best nutritionally for him, but i'll be honest he just didn't seem happy anymore on it. He scarfed it down, but he never seemed satisfied or full (and we fed him basically double the recommended amount). It's my only guess for what was making him act out before. Since switching him off raw, he's been sooooooo much better. He still has lots of energy, no negative side effects there, but he doesn't climb around the kitchen counters anymore, and is in general a lot less destructive. Don't get me wrong, he's still a little devil, but tolerable now that I can laugh at it :). We put a lot of time & energy into researching food that we could transition him on to. Dobby has a lot of food allergies so it was really hard going from raw (which we knew 100% of what was in it) to store bought food with a million ingredients. We found what has worked really good for him, keeping him full & happy, and absolutely no side effects with his skin, poo or otherwise. We're super happy. If you want more info let me know on that front!
I still really do believe that he would benefit greatly from a sibling of his own kind. We are all for doing that - especially since Dobby is my little side kick and follows me/is attached to me completely. I think once we do have the human baby he'll feel a bit distraught so getting him a friend would help that in my opinion. Definitely stepping up and getting more play time in with him has helped get out some of his energy, using our bedroom door at night to keep him in and slowly giving him more freedom has helped a lot, but mostly the food switch.
I hope things improve for you! And congrats on human baby!

COsphynx

Lairian
Hey! So nice to hear that someone is going through something similar. Not "nice" but ... you know! I can't give you any updates on getting a second sphynx as we haven't been able to find any in the area to adopt/foster or buy. We are on some waiting lists but we are definitely wary of getting one from a less than reputable place. Aside from that, Dobby has been doing A LOT better since we switched his food. Without going into too much detail (unless you want it) we switched him off of raw. It was a big decision because we both really trusted raw as being the best nutritionally for him, but i'll be honest he just didn't seem happy anymore on it. He scarfed it down, but he never seemed satisfied or full (and we fed him basically double the recommended amount). It's my only guess for what was making him act out before. Since switching him off raw, he's been sooooooo much better. He still has lots of energy, no negative side effects there, but he doesn't climb around the kitchen counters anymore, and is in general a lot less destructive. Don't get me wrong, he's still a little devil, but tolerable now that I can laugh at it :). We put a lot of time & energy into researching food that we could transition him on to. Dobby has a lot of food allergies so it was really hard going from raw (which we knew 100% of what was in it) to store bought food with a million ingredients. We found what has worked really good for him, keeping him full & happy, and absolutely no side effects with his skin, poo or otherwise. We're super happy. If you want more info let me know on that front!
I still really do believe that he would benefit greatly from a sibling of his own kind. We are all for doing that - especially since Dobby is my little side kick and follows me/is attached to me completely. I think once we do have the human baby he'll feel a bit distraught so getting him a friend would help that in my opinion. Definitely stepping up and getting more play time in with him has helped get out some of his energy, using our bedroom door at night to keep him in and slowly giving him more freedom has helped a lot, but mostly the food switch.
I hope things improve for you! And congrats on human baby!

Thank you! I'm really glad to hear things are going better for you. Yes, I would love to hear what you have switched to and have had success with, it is worth a try :) I've started trying to get Stella used to sleeping outside of the bedroom, as I don't think it's a good idea for her to sleep in there when the baby is a newborn. So, now she is driving me more bonkers than ever lol. I feel bad for her, but I hope starting the transition now will be better than cold-turkey once the baby is here.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Hi,
I have Two Spyhynx. I am considering rehoming my Canadian Sphinx Leo Di Catrio. I’m in California. He is 2 years old and gorgeous. He’s a very sweet boy who is constantly purring and loves attention. I moved into a small small place and it’s very difficult w 2.
The thought of getting rid of him breaks my heart. I have put off for thought for six months but reading your post made me put some more thought into it . Leo loves other cats and loves dogs. I could’ only rehome him to someone who would be madly in love with him and treat him like the prince that he is. Let me know if you were interested.

Attachments

• 724831A6-BD85-423B-9B79-19473F8E424C.png
    724831A6-BD85-423B-9B79-19473F8E424C.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 55AB31D9-64F6-4277-BB32-78BA7D8B3213.png
    55AB31D9-64F6-4277-BB32-78BA7D8B3213.png
    241 KB · Views: 50

DobbyBaby

Lairian
Thank you! I'm really glad to hear things are going better for you. Yes, I would love to hear what you have switched to and have had success with, it is worth a try :) I've started trying to get Stella used to sleeping outside of the bedroom, as I don't think it's a good idea for her to sleep in there when the baby is a newborn. So, now she is driving me more bonkers than ever lol. I feel bad for her, but I hope starting the transition now will be better than cold-turkey once the baby is here.

No problem! Aw that's tough. I haven't even considered the logistics of where Dobby will sleep at that point haha. He is always sleeping on top of me so I can definitely imagine how hard the transition must be for you!
For food, we are free feeding him dry kibble instinct brand limited ingredient turkey formula. Here is a link. Instinct® Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe with Real Turkey | Instinct Pet Food
And then twice a day (once in the morning and once at dinner time) he gets the same brand of wet food but we give him the rabbit cups. Here's a link for those. Instinct® Minced Rabbit Recipe | Instinct Pet Food
We feed him half of a cup in the morning and half at dinner. So 1 cup total per day. He drinks lots of water and really only grazes on the dry food during the night so that's kept him from being insane I think!! He has had no issues on the food and even though his stool his bigger and smellier than when he was on raw - it's still perfectly formed, not runny at all, and healthy looking. He's going in for his annual exam tomorrow but I have no doubt he's in great health. The only thing we really struggle with is his teeth! Despite brushing them with enzyme toothpaste (almost) everyday, they are very discoloured. I don't think I would ever be able to put him under for a teeth cleaning though. Too many horror stories.

Anyway if you have any more questions definitely let me know! Best of luck to you!

DobbyBaby

Lairian
Hi,
I have Two Spyhynx. I am considering rehoming my Canadian Sphinx Leo Di Catrio. I’m in California. He is 2 years old and gorgeous. He’s a very sweet boy who is constantly purring and loves attention. I moved into a small small place and it’s very difficult w 2.
The thought of getting rid of him breaks my heart. I have put off for thought for six months but reading your post made me put some more thought into it . Leo loves other cats and loves dogs. I could’ only rehome him to someone who would be madly in love with him and treat him like the prince that he is. Let me know if you were interested.

Hi! Wow that's a lot to consider. California isn't very close haha. We would definitely consider it if we could get his vet records confirming a clean bill of health; would need to know his habits and food he's on etc.. Is there any other reasons you are thinking rehoming him? Just space in general? I appreciate you reaching out to me! There is definitely the potential of that working if you think he really would be happier in a different home :) Send me some more details if you can! Thanks.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Hi again. I every piece of paper from the breeder and Vet that I have ever received. I got him from a breeder In The Ukraine. I also am gone over 10 hours a day and I know that is hard on him. When I brought him home from the airport at 12 weeks old he was never nervous or afraid. He is exactly like a dog! He is spayed and I am having his teeth cleaned on Monday. He is allergic to chicken. I have him on Orijen dry food and Soulistic wet food. He is not a picky eater at all. I really have been thinking about rehiring him but have had nightmares. He isnit just a cat but like my child. I would rather keep him than have him go to someone who will not love him. My email [email protected] if you would like to email me. You can see lots of pics of him on his Instagram yourbroboris. I can email you copies of paperwork. You can call his Vet. He is up to date on everything. He loves to play and chase toys. He can fetch. Pls ask me any questions that you might have.
Suzanne

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Sorry so many typos
faziosuzanne@yahoo is my email. I am sad and terrified at the thought of rehoming him but I don’t ever see my work being less than 10 hours a day. My Donskoy Sphinx is more like a regular cat and sleeps all day. But Leo is very active. I have taken him on several vacations and he is awesome in the car and at hotels and new places.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yourbroboris ((hugs))) and head smooches sent

If you are considering rehoming Leo
You can post a thread in the adoption section with details so members can PM for interviews for a purrfect fot for Leo .
Sphynx Cat Rescue & Adoption

You will need to list a rehoming fee per rules as no fee to approved home or $250 or less

((Hugs)))

Yourbroboris

Lairian
@Yourbroboris ((hugs))) and head smooches sent

If you are considering rehoming Leo
You can post a thread in the adoption section with details so members can PM for interviews for a purrfect fot for Leo .
Sphynx Cat Rescue & Adoption

You will need to list a rehoming fee per rules as no fee to approved home or $250 or less

((Hugs)))
Thank you so much!
I ve decided to keep him. I did a trial separation yesterday and they howled for eachother! Sooooo I guess they will be together for ever!

Back