Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Constant meowing -- any suggestions?

Chester

Lairian
Chester was such a quite kitten. For the past 3 months (or more) he constantly meows, sometimes sounding like he's howling. He's now 15 months old, and he is neutered.

If we go in the bedroom (which we keep off limits to him) he'll howl outside the door. After awhile, he may stop, but even in our presence, he'll meow loudly. Even after being fed. I'll give him some toys to play with, that may quiet him down a bit, but the meowing is very excessive and hard to deal with.

If we play with him his meowing stops, but obviously we can't always be playing. It's hard to concentrate on anything when he's like this. Sometimes if he's too much, we'll lock him in the bathroom for a bit but I don't know if this does any good.

Does anybody have any suggestions on why he meows so much, or what we can do to minimize it?

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How old was he when he was neutered and did he spray at all before hand?

Any changes in the household environment or suddenly noisy neighbourhood?

Chester

Lairian
He was neutered before we got him so around 2 months old. Don't know if he sprayed beforehand...

No changes or noise increase that I can think of. He just went from being pretty laid back (other than bouncing off the walls as a kitten will do) to constantly demanding our attention. Sometimes he'll even be making those sounds while he's playing with his toys...not often, but occasionally.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Cats are creatures of habit. Perhaps if can possibly fit in a regularly scheduled block of time for interactive playtime each night with a toy like the one called DaBird might help. If you try to keep a routine for him it might help let him release some energy. Is he the only cat you have? Did you give thought to getting a playmate? Many have rescued hairy babies to give Sphynx a companion. They are a very social breed.

Patti

Chester

Lairian
No other animals.

It really seems to me like he wants something from us... attention, or more toys, or more playing with him. But I just wish he'd cut out the meowing/whimpering by half. Sometimes he stands by the bedroom door (which he keeps trying to enter but is off limits) and will meow.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds as though he just wants attention.

I've learned that Sphynx are quite intelligent and as such, don't get much out of solitary play. They're also very social.

I agree with @Catzzzmeow that regular play sessions or a feline companion would likely help.

Da Bird is a great toy and approved by Sphynx and Sphynx parents everywhere (y), as are some other wand toys.

Here's Max and I playing with a wand toy: http://www.xandria.ca/Max/FishStick.mp4

Let us know if increased play helps minimize his meowing.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I noticed that!!!! :) If he's anything like Max, then play play play!!! Max has tonnes of energy LOL.

@Xandria and @Chester my Simon also looks like your guys. :)

@Chester certainly sounds like he just wants your attention and also wants to know what's behind closed doors as he wants to get in to that room with the door closed. I have the same thing here in my house. There are some rooms that are off limits and they will "bring you to that door" or just stand outside of that door and carry on as they are telling you that they want you to open it.

When I started out with my first naked, I found him to be very different than any furry cat I had ever had. I had to give him attention, attention, attention or I had to keep him busy on his own. I had finally found an interactive laser light cat toy that I used before my bedtime while I was getting ready for bed. This particular toy kept him very busy and allowed me to do what I had to do to get ready for bed. It also tired him out so he let me get into bed without attacking my toes or jumping on me, etc. I have found lots of interactive toys to keep them busy when I can't give them 100% of me.
Also, like suggested previously, another kitty pal would be a great idea. But whatever you do, please don't get annoyed by his loudness and lock him in a bathroom. That's not the solution. Have patience and have a plan. He's talking to you and he wants you to talk to him back and play.

Here is a link to that laser toy and some other interactive toys:
FroliCat™ – Interactive Laser Cat Toys

Best of luck and let us know if anything you decide on helps.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, he's in need of more play time and attention.
Sphynx, require a lot of attention. The da bird, is a hit with
Sphynx. Another kitten would help a lot to.
Can you not sleep with him? To allow him in your room?

Chester

Lairian
Hairless Blessing

We keep him out of the bedroom because I'm kind of allergic to him... But that's a whole other issue.

I agree, he's in need of more play time and attention.
Sphynx, require a lot of attention. The da bird, is a hit with
Sphynx. Another kitten would help a lot to.
Can you not sleep with him? To allow him in your room?

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So Dobby has gotten very explorative recently, jumping as high as he can, climbing to whatever he can't jump directly to. And Meowing as well.. at night when i get home, and early in the morning when he decides its time to be awake. I like to sleep a bit later than him, so that's somewhat annoying.

I'm glad I read this and watched @Xandria 's video.. Dobby's favorite toys by far are the laser pointer, and his feather wand - he even plays similar to Max, in that he'll chase, but when he catches it he'll run off to the bathroom and play by himself, but only momentarily. He'll then return to me, with it in tow, and drop it at my feet, begging for more active play.

I'm hoping its just that he needs more play time, and his meowing mellows out a bit! Great post guys, thanks!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So Dobby has gotten very explorative recently, jumping as high as he can, climbing to whatever he can't jump directly to. And Meowing as well.. at night when i get home, and early in the morning when he decides its time to be awake. I like to sleep a bit later than him, so that's somewhat annoying.

I'm glad I read this and watched @Xandria 's video.. Dobby's favorite toys by far are the laser pointer, and his feather wand - he even plays similar to Max, in that he'll chase, but when he catches it he'll run off to the bathroom and play by himself, but only momentarily. He'll then return to me, with it in tow, and drop it at my feet, begging for more active play.

I'm hoping its just that he needs more play time, and his meowing mellows out a bit! Great post guys, thanks!

Glad it helped! Min is playing the same way right now and she is almost 4 months old. Max doesn't play fishstick any more, but he still loves fetch with his dental treats. You'll likely find the games they want to play change over time. It's funny for me to watch Max sit all stoic, watching his sister play the same games he did as a kitten. LOL. Good luck with getting sleep!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I'm glad to hear that things are getting better. Those interactive toys really gave me a break when I had to do certain things and my naked or nakeds wanted my attention.

Some nakes are much more vocal than others in general, just like people. Some of mine want to carry on a two hour conversation with me or hubby here. LOL

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
My little sphynx girl had lots of toys, a cat tree near the window, etc. She also came home to a kitty "brother" who has been lost without her. He was vocal (and obnoxiously affectionate) before, but since she passed he's taken it to a whole new level. He doesn't play with toys much, which I think is part of the problem. The vet suggested getting another cat, but I'm waiting on that one - I'd like to rescue a sphynx baby! They also suggested getting a stuffed animal cat and leaving the radio on so he doesn't feel like he's alone. It's gotten a little better ...

Another thing that's helped is a toy called Cat's Meow. It's essentially a cloth circle that has a plastic orb and string under it, and the orb moves so the cats can try to catch it. My sphynx LOVED that thing (I had to be careful and limit her time because of her heart conditions), and the hairball cat will sometimes play with it until he wears himself out, too!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My little sphynx girl had lots of toys, a cat tree near the window, etc. She also came home to a kitty "brother" who has been lost without her. He was vocal (and obnoxiously affectionate) before, but since she passed he's taken it to a whole new level. He doesn't play with toys much, which I think is part of the problem. The vet suggested getting another cat, but I'm waiting on that one - I'd like to rescue a sphynx baby! They also suggested getting a stuffed animal cat and leaving the radio on so he doesn't feel like he's alone. It's gotten a little better ...

Another thing that's helped is a toy called Cat's Meow. It's essentially a cloth circle that has a plastic orb and string under it, and the orb moves so the cats can try to catch it. My sphynx LOVED that thing (I had to be careful and limit her time because of her heart conditions), and the hairball cat will sometimes play with it until he wears himself out, too!

@HappyLilSphynx that's so sad that he wasn't playing after he lost his sister. Breaks my heart.
Putting the radio on always helps my nakeds when I'm not home or have to leave them up in my room for hours. I've also put the radio on while bathing them or clipping nails to help calm them down. They even have a specific radio station they like. LOL

Back