Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

moelleux

Lairian
Hello all!

So I have had my beautiful boy Theo for a total of five months now. He turned four in January. I bought him from an ex-breeder who lives about an hour away from me. At first my boyfriend and I were just happy to welcome him into our life and didn't even think twice about the technicalities and the necessary documents that are needed when adopting a new sphynx. He looked beautiful, healthy and was immediately loving.

One day I was washing the dishes and I heard a terrible almost hacking noise and watched an unreasonably large amount of yellowish green snot fly onto the carpet. I was immediately worried, so I texted the previous owner about his ailment and she told me he had been sick before and was treated a year ago with doxycycline for a URI. She had also told me he was treated with it as a kitten because another kitten in his litter was found to have mycoplasma felis. I asked for her to transfer her vet records to mine so they would have a full background on Theo and she told me he didn't have a separate file, she would have to decipher through the group files of all the kittens to find out which file was his.

I waited and waited, and I still do not have any of his previous files. She gave me the number for her vet. She did text me his full history, strange, but reliable in a way because she listed dates, shots, antibiotics etc. (He also has not been fixed, which I am waiting to do after I tackle whatever he is going through right now.)

I have been to my veterinarian countless times since I've bought Theo, trying different antibiotics, each time he shows slight improvement in the frequency and colour of his snot. And as soon as he's finished with the antibiotics it comes back full force, all over again. I've asked the vet for doxycycline each time however, where I live, the antibiotic is on a huge back-order for some reason. So unfortunately he's never been treated with Doxycycline which I've heard wonders about. He's tried Minocycline, Clavamox, a human antihistamine in crushed up tablets, you name it he's tried it.

None of them seem to work!!

Theo has also had blood-work done for FIV and feline leukemia and his blood-work came up normal.

I am SO frustrated. He seems healthy over-all, besides the drippy snotty nose and the occasional goopy eyes. He meows at such high levels I can't sleep some nights which makes me worry he's in pain. But I think I could attribute that to him being deaf and also in heat. He plays regularly, makes regular bowel movements, eats and drinks plenty and cuddles constantly. When he plays I notice he breathes louder than most cats and sometimes I hear him kind of hacking mucus when he is running and he stops to swallow.

I am just so tired of worrying about his respiratory problems. His snot is all over our walls, blankets, couches. I don't mind as long as he is healthy. We love him more than all material things. I just want this problem to be over and I want him to have a long healthy life with us!

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Or has anyone dealt with the same thing?
Thank you so much,
Jess, Dallas, and Theo :cat:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has he been tested for feline herpes? I don't have any experience with respiratory issues, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all!

So I have had my beautiful boy Theo for a total of five months now. He turned four in January. I bought him from an ex-breeder who lives about an hour away from me. At first my boyfriend and I were just happy to welcome him into our life and didn't even think twice about the technicalities and the necessary documents that are needed when adopting a new sphynx. He looked beautiful, healthy and was immediately loving.

One day I was washing the dishes and I heard a terrible almost hacking noise and watched an unreasonably large amount of yellowish green snot fly onto the carpet. I was immediately worried, so I texted the previous owner about his ailment and she told me he had been sick before and was treated a year ago with doxycycline for a URI. She had also told me he was treated with it as a kitten because another kitten in his litter was found to have mycoplasma felis. I asked for her to transfer her vet records to mine so they would have a full background on Theo and she told me he didn't have a separate file, she would have to decipher through the group files of all the kittens to find out which file was his.

I waited and waited, and I still do not have any of his previous files. She gave me the number for her vet. She did text me his full history, strange, but reliable in a way because she listed dates, shots, antibiotics etc. (He also has not been fixed, which I am waiting to do after I tackle whatever he is going through right now.)

I have been to my veterinarian countless times since I've bought Theo, trying different antibiotics, each time he shows slight improvement in the frequency and colour of his snot. And as soon as he's finished with the antibiotics it comes back full force, all over again. I've asked the vet for doxycycline each time however, where I live, the antibiotic is on a huge back-order for some reason. So unfortunately he's never been treated with Doxycycline which I've heard wonders about. He's tried Minocycline, Clavamox, a human antihistamine in crushed up tablets, you name it he's tried it.

Theo has also had blood-work done for FIV and feline leukemia and his blood-work came up normal.

I am SO frustrated. He seems healthy over-all, besides the drippy snotty nose and the occasional goopy eyes. He meows at such high levels I can't sleep some nights which makes me worry he's in pain. But I think I could attribute that to him being deaf and also in heat. He plays regularly, makes regular bowel movements, eats and drinks plenty and cuddles constantly. When he plays I notice he breathes louder than most cats and sometimes I hear him kind of hacking mucus when he is running and he stops to swallow.

I am just so tired of worrying about his respiratory problems. His snot is all over our walls, blankets, couches. I don't mind as long as he is healthy. We love him more than all material things. I just want this problem to be over and I want him to have a long healthy life with us!

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Or has anyone dealt with the same thing?
Thank you so much,

As @MollysMom mentioned - it sounds like Feline herpes - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-with-feline-herpes-and-l-lysine.3217/ Lysine would help if so. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Keep us posted.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry your baby is sick. How long is the doxycycline on back order?
Is there another Vet you could take him to? It sounds like you might need to.
Also, as mentioned you need to get him on L lysine daily, for the rest of his life.
Most all sphynx owners give L lysine daily from the time they get their babies.
Here is a link, Pray you get help for him soon and he gets well.
http://www.nutrabio.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=NOS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=23281

Kelly

Lairian
Hello all!

Thank you so much,

Kelly

Lairian
My little guy has the same issues. He has been clavamox twice which has not been beneficial. He is now on an antihistamine but continues to have sneezing fits. The drainage from his nose is bloody sometimes. I'm very concerned about my baby but don't know where else to turn. He already takes lysine daily. Please update me if u find a solution. Thanks

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Kelly many members have found Clavamox to not be effective in their Sphynx. Perhaps you can talk with your vet about another antibiotics. Several members have reported success with Doxycycline (which I see you cannot get) and Azithromycin. Perhaps vet can try that? Hoping your baby feels better soon.

Patti

Kelly

Lairian
@Kelly many members have found Clavamox to not be effective in their Sphynx. Perhaps you can talk with your vet about another antibiotics. Several members have reported success with Doxycycline (which I see you cannot get) and Azithromycin. Perhaps vet can try that? Hoping your baby feels better soon.

Patti
Thanks patti. I called the vet today to ask for another atb. Still waiting to hear back.

Khafra

Lairian
My little guy seems to have a head cold. He sneezes often and rapidly. Very lazy and sleeps more than he usually does. He does have a burst of energy but that's short-lived. He looks like he also lost weight. He eats about half his usual meals. He is now 5 months old and seems to have stomach issues too with very soft stool. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow. Wish us luck.

Back