Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Constipated after surgery.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Elfie had her surgery last week on Thursday. Then she was put under again that same evening for the bleeding issue.

Now I noticed that she wasn't really pooping, but wasn't surprised because she had diarrhea that evening andhadn't eaten in over 24 hrs.

Well she still isn't pooping and today she threw up her lunch.

I'm starting to get a little worried.

Any suggestions as to what I can give her to help her move things along ...?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yea I'm going to see how she feels in the morning and if she isn't feeling any better I'm going to call.

She's still eating and drinking.
But she's got the slanted, I'm in pain eyes. I don't know if that's because she threw up before her pain meds could kick in or what ...

I'm telling you I can't handle much more of this!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MelissaAlice , giving the vet a call in the morning sounds like a good idea-
Ask too about 100% pure pumpkin- I get in a can - I gave Toby a 1/2 teaspoon slightly warmed
I store in a plastic or glass container for only a couple of days or freeze in ice cube tray covered and take out a price every few days
I warm in microwave for about 3 secondsand test with my finger -
I keep a can on hand in the cupboard now :)
I have used 100 pure Libby's

strangely I have read 100% pure pumpkin is used for both poo type issues-constipation and diarrhea
Give extra healing cuddles n kisses from me-
We are here for you..keep us updated

Last edited:

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom
She does normally get pumpkin but we had been limiting what her was getting until her extraction sights healed a little more.
Last night I have her pumpkin with some flax oil on it to try and .. ease the way .. she pooped last night and then again this morning!!

I'm still concerned though; she really isn't acting like herself.
She has always been on the shy side; she likes things quite and she likes a routine. Since her surgery though she's been much worse. Any noise or quick movement startles her and she runs slinking off into a sheltered corner.
She doesn't want to be touched; and when she does decided to lay on me (and I do on and not with) if the blanket even moves a little bit she runs!

It's just not normal behavior for her.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Triple Yay for poops! The pumpkin and flax may have worked. Maybe the pain meds were/are causing the constipation? Poor little girl. The pain is probably to a certain degree causing her strange behavior. If she's pooping, drinking and eating and her extraction sites are healing properly then I would give her a little time. A vet visit might reassure you, though.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is still waking me up demanding food!
That's always a good sign; but normally when she is trying to wake me up it's a whole song and dance. We both talk to one another and I rub her ears. Now she stands as far away from me as she can and if I try to pet her she runs away! :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MelissaAlice , my Toby acted weird for about 10 days after his neuter- he was definitely not himself-
He did not do well with the anesthesia which was not even Ketamine-
I would still call the vet and let them know about her behavior
Keep us updated and healing smooches and ear runs sent!

Rubbing ears is good! It reportedly has a calming way :)

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I called the vet and explained that I feel like I brought home a different cat ..
My doctor is away until Thursday but I have an appointment with him that day.

I mean I don't think there is anything physically wrong with her; I'm just worried that her being knocked out twice in one day may have caused some sort of damage ...

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry to hear Elfie is not being herself! I heard about people who were behaving very differently the first few days after their operation because of the anesthesia. After a few days they turned back normal again. I don't know if this can also happens to cats? And maybey the combination with little Toothless new in the house makes it a little worse for Elfie to get back to her normal queenie self?
Hope she let you rub her ears again soon!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hugs. Sending you healing and calming vibes. It's partially a time based situation thing (pain, surgery, new kitten, drugs...). Love, support and patience until you can see the vet.

Hugs again.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Evening update:

She's doing a little better since her evening poop yesterday!
She even tried to steal my scrambled eggs tonight for dinner (a very Elfie thing to do!!)

Still really looking forward to hearing what the doctor had to say; but in the mean time things are looking up.
image.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That's great news. Maybe it's because her system had not passed those chemicals out of her body yet.
It makes humans nervous to be put to sleep afterwards. Or it did me. For a few days.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's great news. Maybe it's because her system had not passed those chemicals out of her body yet.
It makes humans nervous to be put to sleep afterwards. Or it did me. For a few days.

I'm starting to really believe that't the problem.
Just residual effects from being put under. Not mention she was put under twice in the same day. I think it just has her a little frazzled.

I will still take her in tomorrow; but she is making small steps back to herself every day.
She's even getting better with Toothless!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm actually thinking about cancelling my appointment tonight.
Elfie is doing much much better; I think she still has a little bit to go but it may just take a few more days.

She is eating and pooping and playing, she is trying to steal poor Toothless's food! She is stealing mine!

She's just such a bad traveler she starts shaking and yowling when she even sees the carrier! So I don't want to put added stress on her when I think it's a time issue...?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Look at those little naked nuggets! <3 If you feel Elfie is doing well (YAY), then yes, no need to add undue stress from travel. Hugs.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So happy to hear Queen Elfie is doing much better. Sounds like that's she will be her old queenie self in a few days (and that she's putting you and toothless on a dieet by steeling your food)!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If the traveling makes her nervous I would cancel the spot. I had made a deal with my vet after Moses had surgery on his ear that we scheduled a follow up but I could cancel if his ear looked good after the two weeks and I felt comfortable assessing his would. He gets very worried when we go to the vet and I take away his routine. He lovesssssss to play in the car and does not mind going for rides but if we stop and go inside the vet office and he ia invaded, total freak out. So, if she is doing better- cancel. You could always go back if needed. You are the best judge of her behavior and they will always be a bit "off" when you bring them in.

Jen

Back