Constipation

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Lola Dineen, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Lola Dineen

Lola DineenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $672.42
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all - I know there are threads on this and I have done some research, but want your expert advice!

I am transitioning back to raw with both my boys (2 and a half yo brothers) - the transition time has been about 4 weeks now -- mixed canned and raw. In the past week and a half or so, both have been constipated - bowel movements every 3 days or so - normally they would go at least once a day, sometimes twice. One is worse than the other but both are abnormal.

One of them - 3 weeks ago, finished a round of antibiotics for an infected nail bed, but it seems like an awfully long delay to be constipated now as a result, and doesn't account for the other one.

I introduced new treats at the beginning of last week, but stopped after 2 days thinking that might be the culprit, but still lack of regular movement for both of them.

I've tried pumpkin puree, olive oil, increasing water intake, adding water to their raw food- and I've just ordered a different pumpkin puree and psyllium husk which I'll have tomorrow morning to try.

If I don't get any progress by Saturday AM I'll have to go to the vet, and really I maybe should go today as it's day 4 since one of them went, but...I was just there and I really doubt it is anything serious ie a UTI or blockage since it's affecting both of them and they are eating, playing and not straining to urinate at all.

Doe anyone have any advice or tips? It's mega stressful and conscious they may be in pain even though they're not showing me.

Am I being neglectful not going to the vet today? I'm sure if needed I can make an appointment later.

Some background - they were on raw until they were almost 2, introduced royal canin dry sphynx for 6ish months mixed with raw and chicken, went off raw, got them back on raw slowly via high grade canned food and now back on raw and staying that way (hopefully!)

Thanks as always.

• Hugs Hugs x 1

• admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $293,370.76
      Ratings:
      +18,261
      • Pig
      • Venus Fly trap
      • Black Sphynx
      • Skull head
      I am not a vet nor do I feed raw but my understanding is that its perfectly normal that a cat will poop much less frequently, its not uncommon they go just a few times a week as yours do, less smell too. Do check with your vet to confirm. @Xandria is a raw feeder and may attest to this as well. :)

• Lola Dineen

Lola DineenLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $672.42
      Ratings:
      +30
      Thanks! I should have pointed out, they were raised on raw until they were about 2 and went regularly then, so not sure why it's different time...maybe just a slow transition, but kind of shocking when they'd normally go 1 to 2 times a day and now so infrequently!

• Xandria

XandriaGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $128,979.33
      Ratings:
      +15,613
      Hmmmn, it could be a slow transition. I wouldn't panic yet. You're doing all the right things -- especially with water intake.

If they ARE going poop, then there's no blockage (unless it's a little poop accompanied by vomiting). So that's good.

Perhaps they aren't eating enough to warrant lots of poop?

In the summer my crew eat less so tend to poop about once a day. In the winter they eat more, so sometimes poop twice a day.

A vet check is a good idea though for ease of mind. Keep us updated!

• MollysMom

MollysMomV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $31,477.59
      Ratings:
      +2,553
      • Lady bug
      • Orange Sphynx
      • Sea Horse
      Check the bone content of the raw. Too much causes constipation. Giving them raw goat milk (frozen or powdered from the pet store) can help too. It has probiotics which will help with gut health, especially after a round of antibiotics :)

• Like Like x 1