Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cool names for human babies!!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I need suggestions please! I have quite a bit of time yet as I'm only 20weeks preg, but me and my partner can't agree on any names! Just wandered if anyone had any boy or girl names that are a bit different.I want a whole range of names that we like so we can choose one to fit at the birth!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My middle name is Owen. My twin brother just had a little boy and named him Owen. The name runs in our family.

I like the name Sophie for a girl.

Naming trends seem to change every 20 years or so. When I was a child everyone had traditional biblical names like Mark, John, Michael, Mary. Now, the traditional names aren't used as much making the non traditional names which are used often, traditional. Does that make sense? I can't articulate my idea very well.

One name that I hope to heavens you don't use is Skyler. Can you imagine calling a 35 year old man Skyler? That just sounds weird.

I hope you find a name that is both traditional and original that will stand the test of time.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My daughter is named Wynter, I also like:
Fallon
Cypress
Rae
Meadow
Lyric

Last edited:

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I always loved the name Grace or Greyson and call the child Grey for short.
With no human children on the horizon, I finally gave in and named the dog Grace Louise! LOL

I also like the traditon of using old family last names as a child's first name.
I have cousins named Devon and Morgan and Hawley for just that reason.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on the pregnancy!! :) Babies are such wonderful blessings!

My name is super different: Kizzy (nope, not a nickname)

my step kids names:
Alexis (SUPER common, she says she has TONS of kids at her school w/ this name, she now goes by Alex-not my name lol)
Avery (he's a boy, but says most of the kids he knows are girls with this name...2 or 3 at his school)
Griffin (has to write "Griffin 6" on all his school work because there are so many griffin's in his grade)...
Just some thought of the trendy names. Although i LOVE them, if you want something 'different' you may want to try a little more traditional, as PP said. People aren't using traditional names any more.

some of my faves:
William (Liam)
Joshua
Oliver

Grace
Elmira (Elle, Ellie)

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OOh, also, if you go onto Bump.com (it's a form of The knot.com) they have a 'names' board/forum i used to just lurk on there! :) They have some great ideas! and if you're expecting, if may he a fun community for you to be apart of.

susi794

Staff member
I love the name Thais-- with an accent on the i--pronounced Tah-ees for a girl also the name Novia (Spanish for sweetheart) So my little girl would've been Novia Thais. I also like Sydney, Grace, and Kate.
I like Liam, Sean, Daniel, Sam, and Colin--mostly all Irish names I believe. I like Edward,Baxter, Oliver, Quinn and Henry too.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
NO STRIPPER NAMES!! My son named my granddaugher one which I won't mention so I don't offend anyone with that name. I keep thinking of her at 60 and how the name will so not fit.

I second Joshua, it is a nice solid firm name. Names seem to shape people, certain names tend to be more solid, honest people, others kind of flighty. Try to think of your child 20 years from now in college. Just me 2 cents worth.

Congratulations on your baby and enjoy every minute of your pregnancy, it is a miracle!

Bella07

Banned
Congratulations!!!
My name is Julia. (I have always been very happy with my name!)
And for boys, Jonathan, Dominique, and Joshua are my favorites.
Another girl name, Jeanine.
I also like the name Chelsea, and Jessica. But, those can be rather common, especially Jessica.
Then there is my dogs name Bella, which can be shortened for Isabella. Another pretty name I think!
Just threw a lot of names at you, but as you can tell, I am big on the J names!
Good Luck!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My name is Bronwyn, it's cool now, but hard to grow up with, as everyone pronounces it Brownin.

I went to school with and Isbell, sorta like Isabell, but different, she pronounced it is-bull.

I like Wyatt. My boys are Robert (after his dad) and Jaycob (after the best horse I have ever known.
I wanted to name him John Wayne, but hubby vetoed it. It's a great American hero name, I think!

nativekiwi

Lairian
I love the name Zachariah 'beloved of God', I love old names, not religious but the bible has lots of beautiful names. I like Lenka or Cordelia for a girl. Shem is an old name hardly used anymore but I know 2 and they are amazing guys. Caleb is beautiful too. I like Xanthe for a girl, thats a greek goddess, lots of names in the old gods! My friends couldn't decide so thought they would just open a baby book and blindly pick...finger fell on the bottom of page 92. Next day they welcomed Paige to the world!:LOL:

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats again Sam! I have given this lots of thought, just in case!:Wink:

My names I love for girls are:
Jennifer Ellen - "Jenni"
Adalaide Mae - "Addie"
Lyda (lie-duh) Elzabeth - "Lyda"

My fave boy names are:
Carson Frederick
Rhett William
Rhiel (rye-ul) James

Many of these names have family ties for me, while a couple are names I jst like alot. I do know, though, that I would probably do like you and wait until I meet him/her to decide for sure!!:Cool:

I like "older" Names and found some while visiting cemeteries looking for ancestors!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Congrats again Sam! I have given this lots of thought, just in case!:Wink:

My names I love for girls are:
Jennifer Ellen - "Jenni"
Adalaide Mae - "Addie"
Lyda (lie-duh) Elzabeth - "Lyda"

My fave boy names are:
Carson Frederick
Rhett William
Rhiel (rye-ul) James

Many of these names have family ties for me, while a couple are names I jst like alot. I do know, though, that I would probably do like you and wait until I meet him/her to decide for sure!!:Cool:

I like "older" Names and found some while visiting cemeteries looking for ancestors!

I really like Lyda and Carson!!:ThumbsUp:

myspecialboy

Lairian
I've always named pets human names, so I always have a stockpile of them!

Girls:
Lydia
Lucy
Magda
Gabby
Corinne
Julia

Boys:
Benjamin
Jackson
Rhett
Scott
Geoff (pronounced "Jeff")
Franklin

A name I like for either sex is Raine. It's after the lead singer of my favorite band growing up, Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace)!

Names that should come with clear heels at birth:
Chyna
Savannah
Roxanne
Nikita
Candy
Nevaeh
Trixie
Pearl

*****NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE WITH THESE NAMES!!!!*****
Believe it or not, my mother wanted to my sister to name my youngest niece a few of the stripper names and I almost smacked her for even suggesting them!

Names of my nieces and nephews (all under 10yrs):
Lilian Patricia (Lili)
Jaylen
Violet Mae (Vi, almost random stripper name!)
Autumn
Maddison

Names of the rest of my fam:
Patricia Marian (me!)
Christina Lilian
James Edward
Dustin Lee
Jessica Pauline
Bridgett Nichole
Anthony William
Victoria Dawn

As you can see, I have way too much time on my hands! At least it's some names!!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow lots for me to choose from! It's interesting that many people have said some of the names that they have mentioned are common, as a lot of them I have never heard of. I think maybe in the US there are a lot of names which arn't used over here in the UK so they would be unusual here. I am a big fan of traditional names, names that can be shortened and that suit people of all ages. I like Lucy, Sophie, Ruby, Daisy and India I also love Beatrice as that is the name of my Grandma who died at Christmas, it can be shortened to Be . And for a boy I like Freddie, Joshua, Oliver and Benjamin. But I have plenty of time yet to think of others. My boyf doesn't like any of the names I have mentioned he is hard work!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We have 1 boy Tommy and 1 girl Shannon.
If we had another boy we would have went with Shane, per hubby I also like Donovan.
For a girl I like peyton.

Don't feel bad picking a name is the hardest part, I thought for sure I was naming our daughter and when she was born I hated the name I picked and went to hubbys choice.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree Sam! It appears popular names here and in the US differ quite a lot! :BigSmile:

My full name is Alexia J and my brother and sister are called Leon and Georgina (my mum wanted to call my brother Acer...I'm kind of glad she didn't as I know one and he's a complete d!ck!!)

My nephews are called Joshua, Elliot and Jack, all of which I think are fab names and my best friend called her baby Fredrick, which is shortened to Freddie...

My other half hates the names I chose!! For a boy I like Quinn and Sebastian and for a girl I like Isadore (after my spanish great grandmother) and Rowan...

I don't know if any of them are helpful, name choosing is such a personal thing and sometimes the name just doesn't work when they're born!! Good luck with you choice:BigSmile:

X

QwertysMama

Lairian
I had always loved the name Ruby, but then my sister-in-law went and named her dog Ruby. Now I think it would be weird to use that one.

I also love Lily/Lilith but my last name has some L's in it and it just sounds like a mouthful.
I dont know if we'll ever have kids so I might never have to worry about it.

Back