Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cool! Yeast infections in nail beds may be genetic!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Was randomly reading online about genetic predisposition to various cat diseases and found this:

"YEAST INFECTIONS OF SKIN (MALASSEZIA DERMATITIS)
Type: genetic link possible
Breeds: Devon Rex
Fungal infection of the nail beds; possible genetic predisposition due to excessive sebum or poor immune response towards the yeast. Colombo et al (2007) found Malassezia in 100% of Devon Rex cats studied compared to 42% of Persians and randombred shorthairs studied."

So we all know, Sphynx come from Devon Rex and thus can have similar genetic issues.

Over the years on the lair we have discussed Sphynx getting yeast infections in the nail bed area if not cleaned regularly, but I dont think any of us have known why it happens. Ive always assumed it was their excessively fleshy toes/skin folds.

In laymens terms, this says genetically, devon rex either might make more skin oils OR their immune system leaves them susceptible to yest infections.
Pretty interesting!

Don Waffle

Lairian
This is really interesting information! Thanks for taking the time to post it on here. I am new to the Sphynx world, only having had Waffles a couple of months, but are yeast infections really common?? I know the Canadian Sphynx and Don Sphynx don't have the same genetics, but do you know if yeast infections are just as common in Don's as they are Canadians?? I guess I could Google and find out... Ha! But really, this is very interesting. Thanks again!

Was randomly reading online about genetic predisposition to various cat diseases and found this:

"YEAST INFECTIONS OF SKIN (MALASSEZIA DERMATITIS)
Type: genetic link possible
Breeds: Devon Rex
Fungal infection of the nail beds; possible genetic predisposition due to excessive sebum or poor immune response towards the yeast. Colombo et al (2007) found Malassezia in 100% of Devon Rex cats studied compared to 42% of Persians and randombred shorthairs studied."

So we all know, Sphynx come from Devon Rex and thus can have similar genetic issues.

Over the years on the lair we have discussed Sphynx getting yeast infections in the nail bed area if not cleaned regularly, but I dont think any of us have known why it happens. Ive always assumed it was their excessively fleshy toes/skin folds.

In laymens terms, this says genetically, devon rex either might make more skin oils OR their immune system leaves them susceptible to yest infections.
Pretty interesting!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is really interesting information! Thanks for taking the time to post it on here. I am new to the Sphynx world, only having had Waffles a couple of months, but are yeast infections really common?? I know the Canadian Sphynx and Don Sphynx don't have the same genetics, but do you know if yeast infections are just as common in Don's as they are Canadians?? I guess I could Google and find out... Ha! But really, this is very interesting. Thanks again!

Um ya I have no idea! LOL Depends if don sphynx are related to Canadian sphynx, if they are not related to devons then they prob are not related to canadians either so the genetic predisposition would not be the same.

Back