Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coping with heat in summer

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well, i know many other members live in different countries. But right now in Australia, it is Spring and by the weather it looks to be a very hot summer.
I know animals can get heat stroke, and some can die from it.
At the moment my Cleopatra SoftPaws doesnt seem too bothered by the heat, but she does lie down and sleep in the hottest part of the day. As a sphynx mommy, i am quite concerned that i didnt have anything in place to combat overheating, short of a cold cloth. The cold cloth wont work if i am not at home. Duh.
So i decided to look up cooling methods. The most promising was cooling mats and cooling food and drink bowls.
All the quality ones are waaaay out of my budget. So i settled for buying a cheap cooling mat. And as another budget compromise i decided to figure out how to make my kittys food and water bowls cool myself without breaking the budget.
For cooling the water, i have brought a small BPA free water bottle and frozen it with salt water half way. Salt in the water provides a natural antibacterial and it makes the ice colder. I then place it in a long shallow ceramic dish (like used in baking) with her drinking water in it. The ice bottle keeps the water cool so she can have a refreshing drink and cool down.

My second diy is a cold food bowl. I normally feed raw but as soon as it got hot, it has been impossible to leave any food out for her. I have had to just feed her dry bikkies. For those in the Usa, i got this idea from the Frosty Bowlz manufacturer. It will keep the raw in a cold state for longer. I really needed something like this, as my kitty is a grazer.
I found a glass Pyrex dish that has a matching glass lid, and when i flip the lid on the bowl it makes a nice shallow food dish!! So i am freezing sponges and salty water in Ziplock bags in the dish, so hopefully it works like a freezer pack!!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How hot does it get where you are? I would be concerned with them getting too much sun from the windows and possibly burning. The hottest we ever get here in the summer is +30°C, and I kept the blinds closed all summer to try and keep them out of the direct sunlight during the day.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How hot does it get where you are? I would be concerned with them getting too much sun from the windows and possibly burning. The hottest we ever get here in the summer is +30°C, and I kept the blinds closed all summer to try and keep them out of the direct sunlight during the day.
Good point about the sun. Normally she does sunbake, but she has been avoiding the sunny patches these hot days so i am not worried about it.

On a really hot day I think it hits 35degrees Celcius. I cant be sure because i dont have a thermometer, but it is definately above 30.
The sun hits my place directly in the afternoon from 2ish, its terrible. If only closing the blinds helped, then there is no air flow ugggh. I will try it tomorrow and see if it helps.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good point about the sun. Normally she does sunbake, but she has been avoiding the sunny patches these hot days so i am not worried about it.

On a really hot day I think it hits 35degrees Celcius. I cant be sure because i dont have a thermometer, but it is definately above 30.
The sun hits my place directly in the afternoon from 2ish, its terrible. If only closing the blinds helped, then there is no air flow ugggh. I will try it tomorrow and see if it helps.
We live in a townhouse with crappy efficiency. I opened the windows to let the house cool down around 5 pm, and left them open overnight. Then in the morning around 8 am I closed them all. The blinds go down, and then I have curtains closed over them to keep the baking sunlight out. It was the best way I could figure to keep the house cool. But I like your ideas for the food and water bowls - smart!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As, I'm sorry. Can you get some window fans turn them facing the outside
to suck the hot air out of the house? I would get several of them.