Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coronavirus

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love the USA but I can see there's a problem with our health care system.
That is the understatement of the century, I think.
And yet, people don't seem to understand why everyone in Europe is covered universally.
If I feel ill, I go to the doctor. I don't sit there and consult a spreadsheet first to see if I can afford to be ill.
Not only are we covered, our sick days are paid at work. (Although if you are sick a lot... you'll have problems with your employer instead, unless it's something big.)
It always gets me when I watch some medical drama, like House, thinking "and when they are saved, they're bankrupt".

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@tuffysmommy I'm actually staying home and taking all the precautions. I'm self employed so I have flexibility. However, it's costing me financially so I have sympathy for both sides.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t want to alarm anyone...but...

I’ve been doing some research on masks and which ones to use. So N95 is the mask that filters out the most (let’s not talk about how it increases your blood CO2 levels from rebreathing your own breath). Most N95 masks filter out particles to 0.5 microns in size. The VERY BEST ones you can get (hospitals have them) will filter out to 0.1 microns. Unfortunately, the Coronavirus is sized as small as 0.06 microns (up to 0.1 microns in some cases). Too small to be filtered out by the masks, unfortunately. So, sadly masks are pointless and offer very little protection. You would have to have in a hazmat suit to keep yourself from exposure.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So, sadly masks are pointless and offer very little protection. You would have to have in a hazmat suit to keep yourself from exposure.
Not 100% effective but not pointless. Here's what I think is happening..... I see people in my community that go outside to walk their dog for a few minutes so they don't think they need to wear a mask. Then they walk by someone they know so they stop to chit chat. This is like if you were dieting but then you had that one trip to the refrigerator for a glass of water where you ended up eating ice cream.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Not 100% effective but not pointless. Here's what I think is happening..... I see people in my community that go outside to walk their dog for a few minutes so they don't think they need to wear a mask. Then they walk by someone they know so they stop to chit chat. This is like if you were dieting but then you had that one trip to the refrigerator for a glass of water where you ended up eating ice cream.

Thats why I don’t buy ice cream. It’s gone in 2 days!!!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Sheldon13 you are worrying me,
Thats why I don’t buy ice cream. It’s gone in 2 days!!!
Yeah I know full well when I buy it that's what happens. Just please don't take up a Trump talking point. He's the one that says things like that and then regular people that believe it is who pays the price. Wear a gawddang mask.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m a nurse. I did research myself. The statement was not based on anything said by anyone else. I didn’t even know Trump said something about not wearing them. I try not to follow the news too much as it’s depressing.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I’m a nurse. I did research myself. The statement was not based on anything said by anyone else. I didn’t even know Trump said something about not wearing them. I try not to follow the news too much as it’s depressing.

OK I believe you. But yeah, that's a Trump thing to not wear a mask so I wasn't sure if that's where you were coming from. I'm glad it's not and I agree about the news.

We are still wearing masks down here. The government is not requiring it but most businesses do require you to wear one or they won't let you inside. I don't think the news gets it right; they say "Florida is open" but all that means is that now the business owners are the ones making the rules. And I'm fine with it. All the health workers everywhere insisting on masks can't all be wrong if you ask me.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here, we are told to wear masks to protect others. Not ourselves.
It's because when you sneeze or cough, the droplets get everywhere.
Short exposure (i.e. passing someone in the supermarket) is unlikely to get you infected.
Prolonged exposure (i.e. more than 10 minutes close by) is where it's more likely you get infected if the other party has it.
A sneeze will catapult droplets across an entire room. But if that person wears a mask, the sneeze (and therefore the droplets) are largely contained by the mask and less likely to get near anyone and infect them.

Also, someone did some extensive tests on various things to put inside masks. The best they found was Toolbox towels, they are the most effective as a filter apparently, without restricting airflow too much.
I'm still not going out unless it is to do a grocery run.
But I do have a dentist appointment tomorrow...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Silke yes, it's the same here. Everybody I know just wears a cloth mask to protect other people. This is what most businesses require you to wear to go inside.

The masks that keep particles out (which is what @Sheldon was talking about) are impossible to find. That's the so-called N95 masks in the US and FFP2 in Europe. It's the kind that health workers wear.

I heard coffee filters inside the mask also help. It's crazy all the things people are trying. The best thing is to maintain a safe distance when talking to other people just in case.

A couple of days ago I was sneezing but I have some allergies so I just took 1 allergy pill and I was fine. If I had been out somewhere people would have thought I was sick.

Last edited:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Silke A couple of days ago I was sneezing but I have some allergies so I just took 1 allergy pill and I was fine. If I had been out somewhere people would have thought I was sick.
I had a leftover cough from a bad cold when this thing started, but I'd been at home for 2 weeks or more already at that point. Went to the shops (I didn't have a mask and you couldn't get one anyway) and...coughed. Once.
There is now a new Olympic Sport called "Aisle Jumping".

Sheldon13

Staff member
I had a leftover cough from a bad cold when this thing started, but I'd been at home for 2 weeks or more already at that point. Went to the shops (I didn't have a mask and you couldn't get one anyway) and...coughed. Once.

Rofl can’t deny I’m an isle jumper. Especially if it’s a kid (because usually that means that may or may not have covered their cough).

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Rofl can’t deny I’m an isle jumper. Especially if it’s a kid (because usually that means that may or may not have covered their cough).
It's all relative. My sneeze is not a big deal; your cough is the Black Death :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back