Coughing? Sneezing? Allergies? | Sphynxlair

Coughing? Sneezing? Allergies?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by harley, Aug 14, 2009.

1. harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $388.00
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have had my new baby boy for about 3 months. When I got him he was sneezing, it turned into nasal drainage and a cough. We went to the Vet. We were given shots and antibiotics. after a few weeks all was well. I have noticed he sneezes at times but no nasal drainage or coughing since. This week I have noticed him sneezing more, but still no nasal drainage or coughing. Still active, eating, drinking, and being Harley. Is it possible its allergies? My girls just wnet back to school and I keep thinking may be its something they are bring in on them from outside? If so are there anything that yall have found that works? or is it back to the vet for meds again? Any help would be appreated.:Question:

2. Allison

AllisonLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $464.00
    Ratings:
    +5
    The lack of hair on the outside of a Sphynx is mirrored on the inside and the respiratory system depend on cilia to clean foreign bodies and mucous out. So Sphynxes do sneeze on a regular basis should they encounter dust or similar irritants.

Another cause of sneezing will be the inadvertent inhalation of drinking water when testing the level of the bowl (no whiskers to warn that their face is close to the transparent surface). Luna gets caught out regularly on this one lol.

Lastly cold air seems to also set my Sphynxes off. I think similar to humans their sinuses close against the cold and mucous is produced (to keep the air warm as it goes into the lungs). As per the first paragraph, extra mucous means the need to expel it... at force.

3. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    To answer your initial question, likely no. Your companion is too young at this point for allergies, most develop allergies after their first year of age when their immune system begins working full time and correctly.

While URI usually involves snottiness and leaky eyes, it doesn't have to. I'm with Allison that this may be a dust issue or something along those lines. Sickness that your children can acquire will not transfer to your pet. They do not share the rhinovirus with us or us with them. I'd watch for the next few days and count the number of sneezes, if under 5 I'd clean the house twice as hard. If more than 5, I'd see your vet and recommend L-lysine and a course of antibiotics just to be sure.

4. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    This might not apply to your situation at all, but my pet store was out of stock on my regular brand of litter last time I went to buy it, so I bought the generic version which was really dusty. My cats were both sneezing like crazy from the new litter. (no runny noses or watery eyes, just sneezing) I went back to my regular litter and the sneezing stopped. Have you made any changes like that recently?

I second what PitRottMommy mentioned - especially about giving your kitty Lysine. It's now available in treats you can get from your vet. My cat's love them!

5. harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $388.00
    Ratings:
    +64
    :ThumbsUp:Thanks for all the suggestions, I have increased the house temp a few degress, checked his water, redusted and changed the litter. He has not gotten any worse and is still eating, drinking and being his loving self. no nasal drainage yet. I went a head and made his apt with the vet to have him and my other cat (Sambo-Bobcat/housecat mix) checked and schelded for their neurtering. By I am most greatfull for all who have tried to help. I think I would cry my eyes out if something happened. When he got sick the first time I was convinced I had failed him some how. Guess I am just a worry wart with him. Thanks again for all your help.