Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Could you get another/Savannah?

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not sure I ever want another kind of cat again, the sphynx stole my heart... I love all cats, but something about Gulliver just stole my heart :Adore: ... My husband wants a f1 or f2 Savannah, has anyone had a Savannah or know someone who has?

holly_savage

Banned
I've seen them before and they are stunning cats, twice as high as a "regular" cat. A couple things to be aware of...

1) the price...they can run up into the 10 thousand mark (depending on your lines)
2) Some places have bi-laws against having a wild animal as a pet, and for some cities, that means it would have to be an F3 or higher

Just my 2 cents!

Good luck though!:ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with Holly.
They also can be very hyper and hurt other cats.
There are laws in many areas about them.
I have seen them at shows.
The Bengal breeder my sister got her Bengal from saw one at a show for 20 thousand.
It was the top of the line.
They are way bigger the sphynxs.

holly_savage

Banned
Wow thats alot of $$ I don't know much about them. What about a bengal? or is that not real close?

I was speaking to a Bengal Breeder at theshow last weekend and for Pet Quality kittens they are about $1000... the Savanah is a cross between a domestic and a Serval...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat)

There is an article at the bottom about ownership laws....

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Does your hubby know how large an F1 or F2 Savannah will be compared to your Sphynx?
Is an F1 or F2 more prey driven than later generations?
Are Savannahs legal in your state?
Even if they are legal, will your vet see one?

I don't have a Savannah but those are some of the questions I'd ask. They are beautiful cats but I don't know any in person so I really can't guide you. My experience with spotted cats goes back to one of the allowable domestic outcrosses for Savannahs, the Egyptian Mau. The Mau is a pretty athletic cat so I can only imagine what an F1 or F2 Savannah can do! If your husband is into the look but you'd like a domestic breed research Mau and Ocicats. If you like a little wild/exotic in the mix, try Bengals (Asian Leopard Cats x Mau).

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay, is it alright to be laughing, because I'm laughing?

We own and show Savannahs- and I have F1s (highest generation) down to F6Cs (currently show generation). They are not wild, aggressive cats and they will not eat your Sphynx or little children ;)

Oh my... Where to start? If you are looking for a high gen pet male- which is what I recommend if you want a high gen is a male (they are sterile, but still need to be neutered) - you are looking at between 4-5K. So still a lot of money. Once you get down to the lower gens, you will be paying a lot less money and they run more towards normal pet price for kittens- $800-$900.

(I am currently sitting with my laboring Savannah Queen waiting on my very first SV baby- I hope he's okay!).

Savannahs, as a whole are legal in many states- you should check

HybridLaw.com - State laws regarding Hybrid cats, wolves, dogs and other animals

to see about your state's law. Most states- including California- they are legal. They are a few states that have requirements like you can only own the lower gens, but they are simply assinine (hope I can say that here).

My F1s are just like other cats, but they are INTENSE, INTELLIGENT, and they want what they want when they want it. Are they prey driven? Yes, they are- but prey to a Savannah is not another cat nor a dog, but the same prey a cat would be interested in- bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc.

My Savannahs have been with kittens/cats/dogs/children. They are not dangerous 'wild critters'.

Anyhoo, ask and I'll answer. I'm here anyways :)

(If you want to see my cattery- PM me and I'll send you the link).

J

Jinxlover

See, I know someone on here had them..LOL..:ThumbsUp:
I here they are wonderful cat/pets. I would love to have one.
But I want one of the big ones on if I tried to spend that much money on a cat , I would have to hog tie my hubby and lock in in the basement..:LOL:(maybe thats a good idea anyways:LOL:)

Oh Birthday suit, we will NEED pics of the Savannah babies..

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They are an expensive breed to plunge into- particularly the higher gens. BUT there is a very legit reason. First, an African Serval is not an easy keeper nor is it a cheap exotic to house. They are hosers and will spray like you have never seen in your life once they mature- so they need their own enclosure as soon as they are past that cute kitten stage. Second, they need good food to eat- while some breeders use exotic specific kibble or canned, most feed their Servals raw. Third- it may take a while for them to mature and fourth- they may or may not breed a domestic cat. There have been breeders who end up neutering their Servals and taking them out of their program- and at that stage, you cannot rehome this animal that is completely bonded to you, so you are his keeper forever.

Also, the domestic/Serval gestation are different- Servals carry for longer. So oftentimes, the higher gen breeders have to be more proactived and hands-on then breeders of the lower gens as well as other cats.

So there is definitely a reason for that high price tag! Now, on Cats 101, they quoted 20K, but that is a kitten mill as far as those of us involved in this breed tend to be concerned.

J

Jinxlover

Oh I agree with you, they are well worth the money. I would pay that in a second. But to most people that is a crazy amount for a cat. Everyone I know thought I was INSANE for looking at Sphynx kittens that were $1500, I tell them I'm paying $4-5 grand for one they will have me locked up and throw the key away..lol..

I don't think that the "normal" everyday person knows how hard it is and how much it costs to breed anything and do it well. I was cleaning the room that my kittens are in for the 4th time today thinking just my time was worth at least $3000 per kitten..:LOL::LOL::Hysterical::LOL::LOL:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You are sooo right! I have this talk quite often when I am up every 2 hours with a kitten-which I am currently because I had a sweet Sphynx baby born at 50 grams- she is the tiniest thing I have ever seen, but she is growing so I am feeding her.

But it's not worth the money- and most breeders end up in the negative by the end of the year. I know I did!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
If I could afford a Savannah I'd get one in a heartbeat! That is what my boyfriend wanted to get until I looked up the average price for one. We are getting another Sphynx sometime this summer but only because we can't reasonably afford a Savannah at this time. I was hoping to make besties with Birthday Suit and just work it out tho, hint hint!! haha Just kidding!!!! lol Wishful thinking tho!
So maybe in a few years after I win the lottery I'll finally get our SV.

J

Jinxlover

I am up every 2 hours with a kitten-which I am currently because I had a sweet Sphynx baby born at 50 grams- she is the tiniest thing I have ever seen, but she is growing so I am feeding her.

Wow 50 grams..That's tiny, my smallest was 80 grams and she almost died. I wish you tons of luck with her.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She is up to 72 grams as of this morning. Amazingly, she was born functional- her ears are up, she looks totally normal, but she's tiny. I'm keeping my hopes up for her- I always do :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
She is up to 72 grams as of this morning. Amazingly, she was born functional- her ears are up, she looks totally normal, but she's tiny. I'm keeping my hopes up for her- I always do :)

Whew! Atleast she is gaining and going in the right direction! Best of luck and feel free to keep us posted!!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Birthdaysuit, please pm me the website, we won't be able to get one until we move into a bigger place, but it can't hurt to start looking and researching now :BigSmile:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'll keep ya'll updated on Bitty- she is my little one. I don't know how this will go, but I can't give up. I've never had a really small NORMAL LOOKING kitten before. She's 5 days old now.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone! I have always been a dog lover & owner. My first venture into purebred cats (we always had lots of barn cats who lived with our cows) was to buy 2 very stunning & very expensive Bengal cats. After F4, they are considered to be registered as "domestic tabbies". I did alot of research & spoke with several breeders. I was told that they are inquisitive, active, water-loving cats. My 2 came from Canada, & my husband drove half-way from PA to Toronto to meet the breeder. My cats had the glitter gene, which made them appear to have been sprinkled with gold dust. The most gorgeous breathtaking animals I have ever seen. Well, they WERE inquisitive & active - tearing through the house & knocking everything off tables, shelves, etc. They did enjoy playing in the bathtub in a few inches of water with some balls, which was fun. But they were peeing machines. Peed on anything plastic, peed on their beds, peed everywhere. Even though they were both neutered, the 2 of them fought like crazy. The male would actually JUMP from the upstairs landing to the floor below (about12 feet or so) & hit the floor running! I was so disappointed. Needless to say, I ended up rehoming both of them to nice pet homes with people who were willing to deal with this. Now, several years later, I have ventured to get some more cats. I now have 3 purebred Ragdolls, who are beautiful & affectionate, but fairly laid-back. I recently got a Sphynx, who is incredibly active & loving. I would love to trade my one Ragdoll youngsters for another Sphynx. He is beautiful & sweet, but is afraid of our big dog (he is ok with our smaller dogs). By the way, is anyone wanting to make a trade? HAHA My Ragdoll younster is a seal colorpoint, a show quality cat until his breeder decided that his tail was a micron too short! Off the subject, I know! Anyway, it is amazing that you can try to be as informed as possible, & still get your heart (& pocketbook) broken!

Back