Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Couldn't be neutered....now what ?

Joe

Lairian
I took Luci for her appointment at the vets just over a week ago.
Unfortunately, she didn't take too well to the anesthetic, and the vet ruled the operation as too much of a risk.
So, she can't be neutered, but what am I to expect now? Will she just be on heat a couple of times a year, or will she be grumpy every month? :confused:
I'm a bloke that lives alone, so please forgive my naivety when it comes to the female form.
I suppose I'm asking if she's likely to be in a bad mood every month like my ex girlfriend always was, or will it just be twice a year, controllable with hormone injections?
Thank you for any insight into this. :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I took Luci for her appointment at the vets just over a week ago.
Unfortunately, she didn't take too well to the anesthetic, and the vet ruled the operation as too much of a risk.
So, she can't be neutered, but what am I to expect now? Will she just be on heat a couple of times a year, or will she be grumpy every month? :confused:
I'm a bloke that lives alone, so please forgive my naivety when it comes to the female form.
I suppose I'm asking if she's likely to be in a bad mood every month like my ex girlfriend always was, or will it just be twice a year, controllable with hormone injections?
Thank you for any insight into this. :)
Hi @Joe - not sure why the vet found an issue and had no alternative solution, there are other anesthetics out there that can be used. With that being said, be sure to stay away from ketamine. I would surely see another vet, let him know of your issues recently and go from there. You must spay her, risk of Pyometra is too risky.

Had to edit this again, I hope he did not try to neuter Luci!

Edit: a female cat in heat is nerve racking, will most likely drive you crazy...

Last edited:

Joe

Lairian
I didn't expect that.........
I think Luci wouldn't go fully under after the anesthetic. For her age and weight she had the maximum safe dosage, but was still not fully asleep. The vet pulled the plug as exceeding the dose was not an option, and neither was going ahead with the op.
She's 8 months old, so I'll give it another couple of months and chat with the vet again....or talk to another.
Thank you for the swift reply.:)

susi794

Staff member
Female cats go into heat continuously until pregnancy occurs. She might go out for a few days, but then she'll go right back in. Most likely not grumpy...screaming and howling and acting crazy is more like it. And like admin said...pyometra is a real issue. Check with another vet.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My female Bengal drove us crazy! She was a rescue and not been spayed. She was miserable. Constant howling and pacing. It was non stop. A trip to the vet completely changed her. She became more loving, interacted with us more. I think she was thankful. She is just so calm now.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would get a 2nd opinion, like others said there are other kinds of anesthesia that could be used.

I wouldn't leave it for a while.. It's in her best interest that you find a way to get her spayed soon as you can now she is 8 months.

It seems like your vet didn't give you much information or options which is weird

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Joe
Awh .. Luci.. I am glad you are okay..

My ^Yoda Cat^ had a bad heart and we were still able to have her spayed using ISO gas instead of an injectable . Sph did fine with not a bit of post surgery problems.. I would find outvof ISO gas is avail at your vet and vn go for a 2nd opinion at an office that uses ISO.
ISO is also suggested for older kitties n dogs

Keep us posted :)

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would see if you can find a vet that uses Propofol. Worked wonders for my Morticia who went from being "Lady Howls-a-Lot" to "Lady Howls Hardly Ever" which is an enormous relief and blessing! She was far tooooo loud in heat!!!!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would definitely seek a second opinion there are as shown here other methods of making them go under.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would definitely find another vet. Not only would she drive you nuts, but the male cats know when a female is in heat and hang out outside your home. My dsh drove us bonkers when she was in heat making all kinds of racket and then the males were outside yowling and spraying around the house, it was such a mess. Please take her to another vet to get spayed not just for your sanity, but for her health mainly!

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have to agree with everyone else. Having lived with unspayed female cats myself... It is truly a nightmare for the humans, and it is clear that the cat is quite distressed as well! You will find a vet who will be able to safely spay your Luci :)

Joe

Lairian
I took Luci to a different vet, mainly just for a second opinion, and Luci got done with no trouble at all. A couple of alarm bells had rang at the old vets, when an elderly lady I was chatting to said that neither of her two,hairy, cats could be neutered. Something didn't sound right to me, so I got my backside in gear, took the comments above on board and popped in to a different vets. I think I'll stay with this new one now.
Thank you all for the input. :)

Edit.
Added info.
The new vet also found a small sist somewhere during the op and removed it.

Des

Lairian
I didn't expect that.........
I think Luci wouldn't go fully under after the anesthetic. For her age and weight she had the maximum safe dosage, but was still not fully asleep. The vet pulled the plug as exceeding the dose was not an option, and neither was going ahead with the op.
She's 8 months old, so I'll give it another couple of months and chat with the vet again....or talk to another.
Thank you for the swift reply.:)
How much does your baby weigh

Back