Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

counters

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, do we realy have A choice?:Laugh: I do let them, I wish I didn't but how could you realy stop it? So do you let them on yours?

Brooke

Banned
just out of curiosity, do you guys let your kitties go on your countertops/tables?

Well...Walter knows he isn't allowed on the kitchen counters, but sometimes when I'm getting his canned food ready he can't resist and jumps up there anyway. I just give him the evil eye and he jumps right back down, though!

They pretty much climb on anything else they want. They're especially fond of the pool table. I'm constantly sweeping litter off of it...:Angry:

silly4lilly

Lairian
yes mine go on the counters. when my parents come over and they see them on their they get totally grossed out!! but i guess when its your kitties you dont see it that way :Smile:

Brooke

Banned
That reminds me...Walter always stands on the bathroom counter - every single time I'm in there. And, my counter is not very big (just a little wider than the sink). So the other day I was brushing my teeth and leaned over to spit, he got in the way and I spit toothpaste all over his back! :LOL:

For people who get grossed out by the cats on the counter, I just remind them that I don't cook, so it doesn't matter! I just don't want him to jump up there on the off chance that the stove is hot so I make him get down. Caught him a couple times in the sink licking the dirty dishes, though. I'm sure he's up there all the time when I'm not home to boss him around! Fortunately, Helen can't jump high enough to get up there.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yep mine are on my counters, good news is i don't have to worry about cat hair in my food though lol and the dirty dish thing...Sanura does that too so i've purchased a dish washer and i hide my dishes in there :LOL:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I do not permit this behavior. I have Tarantulas on a countertop in my home and do not wish for the cats to interact with them (as much as I'm sure they would prefer to). I, also, do not permit them on our tables.

Baldwin, Buck and Buffy thought for a short period of time that they were allowed to make the decision regarding whether or not counter/tabletops were permissable...and a spray bottle showed them the error of their ways.

I've seen too many animals harmed by eating/drinking something on the counter or burning themselves on something they didn't realize was hot. I've fixed legs with lacerations on them and, in one particularly disturbing case, removed a steak knife from the back of a dog that didn't move fast enough after upsetting the contents of a table set for 4.

For these reasons, I do not permit them to climb on stuff that isn't "kitty sanctioned" and I also cover all potpourri simmers as I've seen a few cats who sadly died after drinking the "warm water" that was within. I have also managed to move all of my simmer pots to tabletop and counter surfaces so that the cats, naturally, don't disturb them.

silly4lilly

Lairian
That reminds me...Walter always stands on the bathroom counter - every single time I'm in there. And, my counter is not very big (just a little wider than the sink). So the other day I was brushing my teeth and leaned over to spit, he got in the way and I spit toothpaste all over his back! :LOL:

For people who get grossed out by the cats on the counter, I just remind them that I don't cook, so it doesn't matter! I just don't want him to jump up there on the off chance that the stove is hot so I make him get down. Caught him a couple times in the sink licking the dirty dishes, though. I'm sure he's up there all the time when I'm not home to boss him around! Fortunately, Helen can't jump high enough to get up there.

next time somone says something to me i am going to tell them that too (that i dont cook) good idea :Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Like I have said before I should have stock in clorox wipes, I just love them and they are great for wiping up cat prints. And as for the table Leo always joins us for diner, and loves to find himself A treat in the sink! He knows when the stove top is hot and ever so carefully walks around it, his favorite window is behind the stove top! If anyone came over and had A problem, parent or not it's my house and I will do as I please. As far as accidents happening I have seen kids fall onto dishwashers and get hurt rather bad, but people still use them.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is sooooo bad but I let Meecho on the counter and table but I won't let Tigger our full haired cat up there :Smile: When someone yells about it I just remind them that she has no hair to get in the food and she takes a bath more regularly then other people do. Then I'm really immature and stick my tongue out :LOL:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
This is sooooo bad but I let Meecho on the counter and table but I won't let Tigger our full haired cat up there :Smile: When someone yells about it I just remind them that she has no hair to get in the food and she takes a bath more regularly then other people do. Then I'm really immature and stick my tongue out :LOL:

Very good answer I could have not said it better my self!:Wink:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm going to have to say i think i would sooner have my cat on the counter than a spider lol i hate spiders ever since one crawled down my shirt and bit me in a place that should not be exposed to spiders or insects of any kind, I've been really scared of them. But of course i'm strange :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
I'm going to have to say i think i would sooner have my cat on the counter than a spider lol i hate spiders ever since one crawled down my shirt and bit me in a place that should not be exposed to spiders or insects of any kind, I've been really scared of them. But of course i'm strange :Laugh:

Ew. Wanna hear something ironic? I got "cat scratch fever" from a SPIDER BITE!! :Badly2:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
oh my gosh! cat scratch fever? so weird! I've gotten scratched by cats before and never got cat scratch fever let alone by a spider!, my spider bite went away without any trouble but it was a small spider. I don't even like to think about it that is how bad it bothers me.

Brooke

Banned
oh my gosh! cat scratch fever? so weird! I've gotten scratched by cats before and never got cat scratch fever let alone by a spider!, my spider bite went away without any trouble but it was a small spider. I don't even like to think about it that is how bad it bothers me.

Yep, spider bit me on my side by my rib cage, and the lymph nodes in my arm pit swelled up to the size of a lemon. I couldn't put my arm down for a week! The worst part of it was hearing all my friends sing that awful Ted Nugent song, "Cat Scratch Fever" to me LOL :LOL:

The good thing is, cat scratch fever is like chicken pox, you get it once and then you'll never get it again.

Allison

Lairian
Well yes and no to the counters question. Pierre is able to jump up and does quite often (he always gets told to get down if there is food around).

Luna doesn't know that she is capable of jumping that high and so never tries. If she wants up she stands on her back feet and asks nicely.

p.s. Had the toothpaste thing happen to Pierre too once... the sound of running water brings him flying from anywhere for a drink and he timed his leap into the sink right at the wrong time :Woo:

Brooke

Banned
Well yes and no to the counters question. Pierre is able to jump up and does quite often (he always gets told to get down if there is food around).

Luna doesn't know that she is capable of jumping that high and so never tries. If she wants up she stands on her back feet and asks nicely.

p.s. Had the toothpaste thing happen to Pierre too once... the sound of running water brings him flying from anywhere for a drink and he timed his leap into the sink right at the wrong time :Woo:

My first sphynx, Harold, sounds just like Luna. Never learned to jump - but he would stand up on his back feet and paw at you like a toddler, begging to be picked up...in fact, on the rare occasion that he did try to jump even 2 feet from the floor to the sofa, he would often miss and smash his face into the cushions!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Leo does the same with the water whenever is goes on he runs to the room for A drink. When I am in the shower I leave the sink on A slow drip and he drinks away!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The ONLY place Meecho will drink her water is in my bathroom. I've actually had to move her water bowl in there because when I had it next to her food she wouldn't use it.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
"So the other day I was brushing my teeth and leaned over to spit, he got in the way and I spit toothpaste all over his back! "

thats freakin hysterical Brooke, I got a total mental picture !

Brooke

Banned
"So the other day I was brushing my teeth and leaned over to spit, he got in the way and I spit toothpaste all over his back! "

thats freakin hysterical Brooke, I got a total mental picture !

hehe...I left out the part about how he took off running and I ended up chasing after him with a wet rag while he flung white toothpaste spit all over the house! :LOL:

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Abby jumped on the bathroom counter the very first day I had her while I was brushing my teeth, I had just laid my toothbrush on the counter and applied toothpaste when she decided to bite it. She looked like she was rabid, she was foaming at the mouth. My husband couldn't quit laughing and I was running around trying to catch her and clean her little mouth out. Then she topped it off my looking at herself in the mirror and hissing.:BigSmile:

Brooke

Banned
Abby jumped on the bathroom counter the very first day I had her while I was brushing my teeth, I had just laid my toothbrush on the counter and applied toothpaste when she decided to bite it. She looked like she was rabid, she was foaming at the mouth. My husband couldn't quit laughing and I was running around trying to catch her and clean her little mouth out. Then she topped it off my looking at herself in the mirror and hissing.:BigSmile:

That's too funny!! It's little things like this that sphynxes do that make me laugh out loud every single day! :LOL: Gotta love 'em.

PitBullLove

Lairian
My ''haired'' cat Voodoo is CONSTANTLY getting kicked off the kitchen counter or from licking at dishes in the sink! It's been ten years and even with the squirt bottle, she STILL does it! I was worried about her teaching Diva bad habits, but Diva's got that one down pat herself! lol

Back