Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

crate sphynx and boston terrier in same crate w/ divider

hillary haney

Lairian
I crate my sphynx at night and was wondering if I bought a duel crate and have the dog and cat crated at night together they can get used to eachother. I would put mesh over the divider so the cant couldnt put a paw thru and it would only be at night till I felt they were used to eachother. I am too scared to allow my dog close to her because she is so small and feel that would be a safe way to introduce them and let them be together. I'm asking this question because my hubby said I might make things worse and they will hate eachother, but the kitten is not afraid of the dog and I dont want my dog to do something stupid to make her scared. This is my first time with a sphynx so please help.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. I would put the cat in my bedroom if she is going to sleep with you. I would let her out to run around when you are there to supervise. If you have to leave, put her in your bedroom with litter box, food and water.
Make sure there is nothing to hurt her.
Or use another room. I would not put them in a cage. They will get use to each other
in time. Play with them together and just make sure the dog doesn't hurt her.
It will work out, sooner than you think.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I crate my sphynx at night and was wondering if I bought a duel crate and have the dog and cat crated at night together they can get used to eachother. I would put mesh over the divider so the cant couldnt put a paw thru and it would only be at night till I felt they were used to eachother. I am too scared to allow my dog close to her because she is so small and feel that would be a safe way to introduce them and let them be together. I'm asking this question because my hubby said I might make things worse and they will hate eachother, but the kitten is not afraid of the dog and I dont want my dog to do something stupid to make her scared. This is my first time with a sphynx so please help.
If they are getting along I wouldn't see a problem, as long as one or the other do not have access to each other in any way shape or form, "just in case" there is an issue. I have never seen such a crate to be honest. Here is a good thread on introductions - http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with @Hairless Blessing i would have the baby in my bedroom, my boys sleep in bed with us, they need the heat & i dont think id survive the night without Blues snuggles, i have 2 staffies aswell as my sphynx & my fur-cat & we had no teething problems here everybody gets along fine, just keep a close eye on them & play & make a big fuss of your dog so he doesnt feel pushed out, im sure things will work out fine :) good luck xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
I agree not to use the divider crate-

What I have done is have the dog in a large wire crate- I put a caribiner clips on the closed latches because they can open. I keep the dog in the crate in the tv room in front of to supervise.. I cover top of crate so kitty doesn't jump paws thru and you can put some screening around the bottom of the crate with cable ties .

I have a bag of dog treats and let kitty roam around the house. While dog is in the crate , I teach command "leave it" or and reward good behavior with a treat and praise.. When dog ignores cat-- aftervawhile they learn kitty "belongs" in the pack- kitty will often go up and sniff or lick the dog thru the crate - stay calm :) and pet both at the same time with soothing words "nice" or whatever word you choose.

If you go out to work etc or at doing chores and can't supervise 100% , kitty goes back in our bedroom with litter food water. ( I put food on the bath counter off to the side)

Once this crate petting reward system goes well- I move the dog and crate into our bedroom a bedtime..
It becomes the pack den at night :) eventually doing introductions with dog on a leash at all times and the crate no longer needs to be in the bedroom yah!

Back