Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Crazy cat mom story..

souplouie

Lairian
I'm too embarrassed to admit this is how last night went to anyone and I told my boyfriend to pretend it never happened, but I feel like you will all understand/appreciate/be amused by this..

So, last night I'm eating leftovers on the couch cause it was a long work day and I was exhausted. It was a lemon chicken pasta with lemon slices cooked in. I was taking out the slices cause and putting them on my napkin on the coffee table. Soup was climbing all over me trying to get a bite of my dinner because he goes crazy for anything with cheese/butter on it. Completely ignores the lemon. Finally, he admits defeat and leaves me alone for a bit. Then randonly comes racing back, leaps onto the table and scarfs up the lemon slice. I tried so hard to get it back from him, but I swear he didn't even in chew it, just swallowed it hole.

I didn't think anything of it at first, then thought to myself, I better look it up. Some plants/fruits are really dangerous and I'm going to be asleep in a few minutes so if anything happens I won't notice. First search comes up with, liver failure, toxic shock, death. So I call the nearest ER, and become my own least favorite kind of person by saying "this happened and google told me he might die" (I'm a nurse, sometimes we get frustrated when people say "I googled this and it told me..." but crazy cat mom was in charge, so there I was.. ) and she had to advise me to call poison control. But was entertained by laughing frantic phone call because I am ridiculous when I'm pretending to not be nervous.

Flash forward to finally hearing back from the animal poison control center, lady instantly assumes this animal is a dog. Tells me its not life threatening but if I want more information I can pay their consultation fee. I'm extra exhausted at this point and agreeing without thinking.

When I get off the phone, I go to google it one last time to see all the scary information I got before to validate this whole process. I changed the search from "can cats eat lemon" to "cat ate lemon slice" and all of a sudden all that comes up is with all the same information about how its not life threatening, but it might make him puke, that I just paid $65 for

Ps. He was running around like his normal crazy self the whole time wondering why I wasn't going to bed.

Hope someone can get a laugh out of my ridiculousness!

Beckinboots

Lairian
Glad it was all OK in the end. You're not alone, we've all been there.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Funny now, but never fun at the time it happens. So often googling can scare the heck out of people and give worst case scenarios, but in hard facts like this, it is a life saver. Glad all is ok.

souplouie

Lairian
Funny now, but never fun at the time it happens. So often googling can scare the heck out of people and give worst case scenarios, but in hard facts like this, it is a life saver. Glad all is ok.
Exactly! But thank goodness for animal poison control on top of having info available on google. I hope no one ever has to utilize their services, but they were so wonderful.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh my Soup ! No lemon for you !

I would have done the same - certainly not ridiculous at the moment when our babies scare the crap out of us with the things they get into

( I almost put my rottie to sleep years ago - I found out he had pizza dough toxicity - crust swelled in his gut - for 12 yrs he Always had a teeniest bit of pizza crust shared - well we tried little C’s once and it nearly killed him

You did right by Soup
Head smooches sent !

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Huh. I thought poison control was a public service. Had no idea they charge you to help save your animal’s life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Could have been me so I feel for you. And had to laugh while reading your story just like I would laugh about myself in the end.

Soup, never do that again!

souplouie

Lairian
Huh. I thought poison control was a public service. Had no idea they charge you to help save your animal’s life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was surprised too! The hold line explains ahead of time since they don't have any outside funding, they do charge. But they tell you whether or not its life threatening before going in to more details, which is where the charge comes in for a "consultation fee".