Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

crazy for human food

beccerzz11

Lairian
Hi! Wybie's been home for a few days and it's been such a joy. That being said - he is CRAZY for human food which I don't give him. Any tips on how to get him to calm down during my meal time besides putting him in a separate room?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lol the drinking out of the glass is quite the picture. Ellie does that, too, even if it’s just water. Maybe my amoebas taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
You can try . .. To train to a chair or spot of your choosing
Train like a dog with treats to a place or bed
My bengal kitty was nick named "chicken hawk" bcz he was such a food thief! He got his name Bailey bcz he stuck his paw in my baileys drink!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida also is a food hound. I try to feed her when we are eating dinner. This helps a lot. I also leave a mug with water for her on the coffee table at all times as she thinks that water from her bowl is less delicious for some reason.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida also is a food hound. I try to feed her when we are eating dinner. This helps a lot. I also leave a mug with water for her on the coffee table at all times as she thinks that water from her bowl is less delicious for some reason.
This is a brilliant idea!!!

TatyanaMassey

Lairian
Im afraid i wont be much help either, Franklin does want to sniff around if Im sitting in my recliner with a particularly appealing snack, but hes never went after our food or drinks. One time he stuck his nose and almost burned it in my coffee mug and I think that turned him off of our drinks for good! Now if i decide to eat in my chair with a blanket on my lap, I can just shove him under it and he snuggles down no problem without any bother lol

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We live by canned air lol. The kind you buy to clean your computer keyboard. The 3 older cats no longer bother us for human food, but our kitten continues to be a rascal and food driven. All I have to do is go in the cabinet and put the can on the table or side of the stove when I am cooking and he knows better. I never spray in his face and just a small hiss from the can works wonders. You might give it a try.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I always forget about the canned air. Yes, ours hate that sound. You know, that's what I should use when Max sucks his tail too much!!! Gosh, years later and I'm still learning about my own cats!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus has gotten better but I'll still have a little hand reaching up from under my chair everynow and then haha but I don't really have any suggestions unfortunately. We do keep a glass of water for Orpheus on the desk as that stopped him drinking out of ours haha

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow is it just the sound of the air that stops them?
At this point I'm will to try anything. I cant remember the last time I got all the way through a meal without having to stop and correct a cat.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@MelissaAlice yes just the sound works on our crew. When we got them as kittens we always hissed at them like a mother cat does when correcting behavior, but the air just makes it easier then hissing while eating or cooking lol. Let me know if it works for you. You might need to be a little heavy on the squeeze when you start. Hope you can eat in peace.

beccerzz11

Lairian
We live by canned air lol. The kind you buy to clean your computer keyboard. The 3 older cats no longer bother us for human food, but our kitten continues to be a rascal and food driven. All I have to do is go in the cabinet and put the can on the table or side of the stove when I am cooking and he knows better. I never spray in his face and just a small hiss from the can works wonders. You might give it a try.
thank you!! I will DEF try this. I'm in a studio apartment right now and don't have an extra room to put him in until I move in a few months