Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Crusty Nose

GussyAnn

Lairian
I am a new Sphynx owner and this site has been VERY helpful!! I have a question that I hope you can help me with. My kitty gets crustys on and in her nose. I used a Q-tip to pull out what looked like dust or something out of her nose....is this normal?!? Also, the crustys on the outside of her nose are dry and I am not sure what I should be using to clean them. I tired a damp wash cloth but I afraid I am hurting her when I scrub. Will coconut oil help break it up? What brand of coconut oil is best to use?
Thanks so much

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My kitties noses also get dirty sometimes i usually just rub a little coconut cooking oil on their noses before i bath them and it loosens the dirt so it washs away easy and also helps keep more dirt from getting in there later.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is it crusty from food/ playing etc or is it crusty from discharge? If its from discharge then the best thing to do is deal with any underlying issues.

L-Lysine is a supplement that helps strengthen their immune systems and so I would start adding that to her diet. It won't harm her and it will help even if there's nothing wrong.

If its just from day to day life, then gently wipe it away.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When the boys get it, I just take a baby washcloth & put under warm water & wipe off... they don't care for it but they deal.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When the boys get it, I just take a baby washcloth & put under warm water & wipe off... they don't care for it but they deal.

This is exactly what I do. I keep a large stock pile of baby wash clothes and I put them under really hot water so by the time I get to Meecho it is the perfect temperature and she LOVES the warm cloth. Well as much as she can when I'm rubbing her nose and face :Laugh:

GussyAnn

Lairian
Thanks for your help:BigSmile: I am pretty sure it is just from getting into stuff and not discharge. I got some coconut oil...it is very thick and is in a jar. Is this the right stuf? It is the only coconut cooking oil I could find.

Pbinky

Banned
My coconut oil is white and solid at room temp. but once you get it on your finger tips it starts to melt quite quickly. And you only need a little bit for your kitty, especially when your using it on his nose. It should clean up the dirt. The L-lysine is a good idea to keep your kitty on a low dose daily (250 mg) just in case he actually does have a runny nose.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Crusty Nose Gone

My cat has the same problem. My vet told me it was freckles but it's not! It's crusted dirt and I have a heck of a hard time removing it. After reading this thread I just spent the past 5 minutes scraping the crust off after everything else I tried didn't work. Afterward I put coco butter on his nose in case it was irritated from all the scraping. I can finally see his nose for the first time since I got him. :BigSmile:

Fountainrunner

Lairian
UPDATE: I no longer scrape my cat's nose with whatever I can find. It wasn't a pleasant experience for the cat nor myself. Plus, scraping wasn't a smart idea as I could've cut or injured his poor nose. Now I just scrub his nose when I'm washing him with a wet rag and it comes off fairly easy. What was a five to ten minute ordeal before only takes a second or two now. Best of all his pink nose can stay pink!

Back