Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom He's 11 lbs, so he gets three, three-four ounce servings a day. I give him the Steak Frites twice a day, split one can and I give him one to two packets of the Chick Magnet a day. Cost wise I spend $5.17 a day. Each pouch is $1.19 and a can is $2.79 for six ounces. I stick exclusively to these foods, his crystals are gone. I do give him plenty of treats of Stella and Chewy's freeze dried foods, Natural Balance Salmon Bites, & Pumpkin Seeds. He loves pumpkin seeds! I buy the Dry Roasted Unsalted Pre-opened seeds from Whole Foods. I just buy the Steak Frites by the cast for $66, it's 24 cans. I buy the pouches in 10 pouch sets.

Other flavors that are okay, their mineral levels are alittle higher than the Urinary foods, but not by much. Truluxe: Perdunken & Cat's in the Kitchen: La Isla Bonita. I believe they are .74 & .67 in phosphorus. Also great for weight loss with no carbs and high protein.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dallassummer , thank you do the super fast reply!

No sure if this is the same case chewy has for 50.99 -
Just wanted to pass along if it is :) I will call tomorrow if they have a buyer loyaltyprogram for weruva and CITK
In Fl , I get stuff in 2-3 days :) free shipping too

Thanks bunches! I know you are busy busy and I appreciate the info!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom - just an idea to get them to want to eat the canned food that you offer them, you could try sprinkling forti flora or parmesan cheese on it.

@Dallassummer - great work. I did the same thing with a cat I used to have that needed a special diet. At best vets don't know, but maybe they don't want to know because they are making money on the rx food. It's quite a racket the pet food manufacturers have going.

Kristen G

Lairian
This thread is so informative. I am going through this with Jax. His urinalysis showed quite a few struvite crystals. Its odd because he shows no symptoms, eats only wet food (natures variety) and loves drinking water. I removed dry food last yr because he had elevated red blood cells. The vets he may just be prone to crystals. She told me to feed him royal canin SO for a month and retest but she seemed to think its best to stick with this food. Im upset because i wanna do whats best for him and prefer quality ingredients over junky Rx food but fear that if i go back to normal pate after the crystals dissolve they may come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G my boy had crystals and I was not keen either on the " prescription" food. I called the companies and it was oh its the combo of ingredients that make it work. well, my boy refused all their " prescription" wet and dry food from RC, SD, Purina.. everything they had at the vet.

I bought Purina Pro Plan urinary focus chicken wet food and Hills Urinary Hairball dry food. (not crazy about ingredients, but liked the phosphorus % )

I give in a separate dish with their Nutrisource cat and kitten food. (no recalls same company that makes purevita )
Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods . not in big box stores. I buy online or the small pet boutique carries it

NOT crazy about the Proplan or SD ingredients at all... But truth be told He is now near 9 1/2 years old and never a UTI again.
so , yes, hate the ingredients but somehow it is working for my crew .

I picked the proplan too because even my rottie lived near 13 1/2 years with no health issues eating proplan. nearly double the life expectancy for his breed.

hugs and positive vibes to Jax
keep us updated

I get them at petsupermarket with their loyalty program buy 10 get 1 free ( i believe with a year)
for cases as well as the kibble

i went with the SD urinary hairball kibble bcz i learned awhile back hairball formulas can be good for poo issues , so thought what the heck.
feeding this combination with no poo issues at all.

1579277447315.png
1579277664042.png

Last edited:

Kristen G

Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you for advice. Thats what i would hope to do, if he must stay on urinary food i would love to also incorporate quality regular food. Do u do a 50/50 mix of the urinary and regular foods? Also, did the urinary food dissolve the crystals of did your baby require medicine

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G,
I free feed a bowl of each kibble in separate bowls. they all eat it and I am surprised because my brat was sooo fussy along with his brother.

they share a 3 oz can of the proplan urinary wet food daily in separate stainless little low profile dishes I got at walmart for 2 bucks.

Yoda did have a cystocentesis urine test in office confirming crystals ,.. he was put on antibiotics for 10 to 14 days.

he refused all the vet sold food at that time so I went and got the food I mentioned.

He had a follow up cystio in 2 weeks and was all better.

feeding this combo for many years now , and the last vet trip with any of them was for an eye scratch ulcer a couple of years ago.
I believe the foods help do both to prevent dissolve crystals. you can call the companies ,they can explain,
I called and asked what's the difference between vet sold prescription and no prescription... all confidential they say its the combo of ingredients. they clean their bowls with the urinary focus

so , yes, don't like the ingredients but all paws have not had health issues or poo issues.. and the oldest going on 10 yrs old .

I am counting my blessings

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G

I always watch phosphorus, magnesium and ash % with my kitties and dogs.

members will certainly chime in and you can ask your vet. My vet had no issues with me feeding these .
she even feeds her dog proplan and she could buy anything.

feeding what works here

surely members will chime in with their experiences

keep us updated :)

Kristen G

Lairian
@Yoda mom glad that it worked out well for u. Gives me hope! Im surprised my vet didnt prescribe medicine. She thinks the food will dissolve them hmm...i hope it will. I would definitely be open to feeding quality food for breakfast dinner n pro plan for lunch if i can do that. For now im giving the royal canin for all meals as instructed but after the month i wanna see if u can change

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G I am not a vet but I am surprised no meds on board. was he diagnosed with a Urinary tract infection specifically or was there some minor crystals detected ? hence maybe the food change angle for treatment

keep a close eye on him...
if he starts frequent trips in and out of litter box with little or no output.. immediately contact vet !
male cats especially can develop blackages... just an fyi

the food has certainly kept my boy crystal free..
all paws crossed for the follow up :)

your vet may want to keep him on the RC ... you can discuss the combo feeding during the followup

hugs n head smooches

Kristen G

Lairian
@Yoda mom the vet just said there were quite a few struvite crystals. I am waiting for them to send me the report. I dont feel so happy with this dr. My usual one left the practice so im looking into changing

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G go with your gut... several of us have changed vets. always important to have a good working relationship , on the same page, in the same book :)
totally your decision for what you feel is best.

keep us posted on the report. fyi, I ask for copies or chart notes and lab reports. this way I can bring to a new vet if I decide to change.

there are two types of urine crystals. my boy also had struvite crystals

keep us updated

Kristen G

Lairian
Thank you mine has struvite. I just recvd the report and its says his ph level is 8.0 which is high

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kristen G , you can discuss the Ph with the vet.

my understanding Ph can be higher readling after they just ate too.

I asked my vet if I could monitor using the Ph test strips from my pool kit :)
they do sell kitty versions, but I have so many on hand she said it was fine.

when he tinkles I hold the strip under him or push it into the fresh pee ball..
interesting ... I got the same Ph reading as the test at the vet.

the foods are often formulated to help with Ph levels too, alot to do with the magnesium , phosphorus ratios.
fish based foods often have higher %'s
so I call the companies and ask what the ratios are. I try to stay under 1.6 % personally.
some I have seen as high as 2.3 %

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I also found out that green superfoods affect the Ph and cause crystals.

I bought a probiotic that had some green superfoods. I even saw it turned the food green but I didn't realize it was a problem until one of my cats turned up with crystals. Luckily we caught it early. The vet was asking me about all kinds of things because he knows I make my own cat food and finally he asked about green foods. Moral of the story: no green foods.

Back