Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Curly tail with loose stool

crtygerfly

Lairian
Genghis is eight months on May 4 and he's has loose stool with occasional bright red blood at the end since I brought him home around Thanksgiving. I have been back and forth with the vet. His stools and my other cats stools test negative. Propectalin and pumpkin do not work. No vomiting (THANK GOD!!!!). We have recently done 2 rounds of metronidazole on all 3 cats, 1 round of Albon (3 cats), now at the suggestion of his breeder (who is a vet) they are on fenbendazole. It doesn't seem to be working but I am only about half way through. Tonight everyone gets a bath and all 3 of the litter boxes will be cleaned and disinfected. I have been reading all over the internet and I really think this may just take time for his intestinal track to calm down but...
The issue is his tail! He curls it up to three times around and tucks it next to his flank or right under himself, I never seen a cat with a curly tail before. When he is in the litter box he either keeps it curled once and poos right on it or he will have it out of the way but at the end of his business he dips it into his own mess. So not only is he having the diarrhea but he gets it all over his tail then wants to run around my house, ARGH!!! Or jump back in bed with Mom at 3am and smack her in the face with poopy tail.
I'm exhausted and very frustrated. I have no other problems with him except his loose stool. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach him to keep his tail out of the way while we are waiting out his stomach issues?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am not sure if there is anything you can do to stop him if that is how he always is, you could try a different style of litter box? A bigger one, maybe without a hood and he might have more room to keep his tail out?

Sphynx are notorious for these sensitive tummies.. what food are you feeding them? Is it an option to try something different?

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree that apart from trying a larger box there's not much to do about him dipping his tail in poo but trying a different diet may help. Though I don't feed it myself, a raw diet may work wonders for his stool. Definitely worth checking out!
Good luck, sounds like you're really fed up... (n)

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Zoa used to do this - my solution was to figure out her poo schedule and be prepared to interfere by moving her tail, scooping sand onto the poo as it falls into the box, or scoop the poo aside before she has a chance to step in it. I'm surprised all my poop time interfering hasn't made her grumpy. She no longer gets herself into her poop though so it seems to have worked for now. My husband and I are also always ready with a wipe after she is done.