Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dark flaky/patchy looking areas a few days after bath and coconut oil.

Alllllllsphynx

Lairian
image1 2.JPG Hi everyone! I am new to this website!
I adopted a baby boy sphynx who is almost 5 months old, his name is Klaus. He is truly the apple of my eye and I love him so much. After his first bath last Saturday, his skin seemed to become dry as he is not oily in the first place however, I wanted to bathe him after bringing him home from the breeder.

A few days after his bath I decided to rub coconut oil on him to relieve him from the dry skin... However, after that..dark brown patchy looking flaky areas of skin began to develop on his stomach and hind legs and they do not come off with wipes or in his bath. Im very concerned and wondering what it could be? He is so perfect and I'm scared I am doing something wrong or that he is in pain. He's not constantly licking there but he does lick more often.

Can anyone tell me if this is just stubborn dirt that is stuck to his dry skin? or if it is something worse????
Please:( The perfectly clean belly was him the night I applied the coconut oil...
image1.JPG

Last edited:

Alllllllsphynx

Lairian
Hi everyone! I am new to this website!
I adopted a baby boy sphynx who is almost 5 months old, his name is Klaus. He is truly the apple of my eye and I love him so much. After his first bath last Saturday, his skin seemed to become dry as he is not oily in the first place however, I wanted to bathe him after bringing him home from the breeder.

A few days after his bath I decided to rub coconut oil on him to relieve him from the dry skin... However, after that..dark brown patchy looking flaky areas of skin began to develop on his stomach and hind legs and they do not come off with wipes or in his bath. Im very concerned and wondering what it could be? He is so perfect and I'm scared I am doing something wrong or that he is in pain. He's not constantly licking there but he does lick more often.

Can anyone tell me if this is just stubborn dirt that is stuck to his dry skin? or if it is something worse????
Please:(
View attachment 53831
image1 2.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! My pink boy can get orangey flakey stuff if I do not rinse him well after a bath. Usually in neck, arm pits and tummy. The usual hard places to rinse. Rule is rinse well...and then rinse again and then again. Your pics look very similar. Hope that is all it is.

Exfoliating gloves are a plus!

Patti

Last edited:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is probably that the coconut oil is causing the dirt to stick, along with a bit of dead skin.

Just leave him be until it is time for his next bath - you will need something to break down the oil to get it off (try whatever shampoo you are using). If that doesn't work, try a drop or 2 of the original blue Dawn dish liquid. It is safe to use on them. Then rinse the heck out of him with warm clean water.

I would stop scrubbing at him in the mean time. It will just cause irritation and the skin can start to get rough and scabby. Think of it as trying to scrub motor oil off your hands with a wet paper towel. You actually need something degreasing to remove it from the skin.

If you are finding that his skin is dry after baths, maybe try a gentler soap? We have used the Aveeno baby wash before. I found that it wasn't strong enough to get my guys clean, but something like that might work for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Klaus is adorable!

I use hylyt shampoo too! I add 2/3 drops of regular blue detergent. I don't use any coconut oil-

I do in between baths wipe downs with a very very vey dilute mix of hylyt shampoo and 2 drops of dawn
And a warm wet wash cloth - works better than baby wipes for my 4

Hylyt is my fav ! And Carter's baby face clothes with sewed edges..
I wipe faces with plain water :)

Back