Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dark Spot and Skin Issues

Meowsphynx

Lairian
I'm most concerned about the dark larger spot in the first pic. It's dark brown in color and slightly scaly feeling. The dark freckles in picture 2 are new as well, but from reviewing other forums, don't seem too concerning? He doesn't have any pink bumps and doesn't itch.

I started different food months and months ago, and there didn't seem to be any adverse reactions (Orijen Cat/Kitten dry and Cat Person wet). Nonetheless, I will try switching back to his old food (Purina Beyond Grain Free dry).

Finally, perhaps this is totally unrelated, but 3 months ago (again, sufficiently after switching foods with no reaction), Jiji had a very bad experience at a boarding facility but the vets/emergency hospital discovered nothing wrong. Jiji came home vomiting and having diarrhea multiple times per day with little to no appetite. Did physical exam, X-rays, and stool sample. Everything looked to be in good order. He was prescribed some Metronidazole and everything seemingly went back to normal without ever discerning what the underlying cause was. I mostly concluded that it was separation anxiety. The only remaining symptom I've noticed is that Jiji scratches at his neck from time to time. I thought this may be indicative of parasites, but again his stool sample after boarding was clean. Not sure if this incident from months ago that has now passed is related to the skin issues, but figured it's worth mentioning.

Any tips or similar experiences? I've found a lot of posts about UP, freckles, and ringworm, but Jiji's dark spot looks different...

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_145232.jpg
    IMG_20201017_145232.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20201017_145205.jpg
    IMG_20201017_145205.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n head smooches . surely members will chime in. sorry about the experience at boarding. poor baby.

perhaps it is from food change. I used to feed acana (same company as orijen and they got skin changes are were little grease balls and poo issues) switched food and it resolved. all paws crossed. if these appeared along with the neck scratching I would suspect food change? any changes to litter?

tagging @Catzzzmeow,@Toa and Ross

Sheldon13

Staff member
Is it the spots specifically that are itching? Honestly it just looks like normal pigmentation to me.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Meowsphynx

Lairian
Is it the spots specifically that are itching? Honestly it just looks like normal pigmentation to me.

No, he's not itching the spots (on his legs) at all. He only itches around his neck a bit from time to time (no spots there). The bigger spot is slightly raised and scaly feeling, so I wasn't sure if that's normal for pigmentation.

Sheldon13

Staff member
The darker Sphynx often go through normal pigmentation changes, though it can be sped up by sun exposure. If they aren’t bothering him and they aren’t growing rapidly I wouldn’t worry about them.

The itchy neck could be due to a simple allergy. Maybe shampoo, cleaner, detergent, food. Can be difficult to eliminate the reasons. Takes time.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a dark Sphynx but I've never seen a spot like that round spot on the first picture. I don' t know if it would be possible for the vet to do a fine needle aspirate.....this is a quick and inexpensive diagnostic.

Nefersphynx

Lairian
hello, my sphynx puppy has something similar to the spots on yours. she has been with the spots for several weeks and they don't go away. they look like little scabs, or like it's dry. I have not made changes to the diet. The kitten has been with me for almost a month and I continue to give the same food that the breeder was giving her. I think it will get more as time goes by. I can't know what it is

Attachments

• 3C3EC488-99D9-4896-952C-CFE3919C1D95.jpeg
    3C3EC488-99D9-4896-952C-CFE3919C1D95.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 3D9EF89E-6186-44D1-BE9E-734822435C5C.jpeg
    3D9EF89E-6186-44D1-BE9E-734822435C5C.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 61
Back