Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dark spots appearing on sphynx please help

Melb96

Lairian
Hi all, My sphynx kitten has recently gotten these dark spots that are starting to appear all around his neck. Is this normal or should I be concerned ? Or are they freckles because he is a dark colour?

Attachments

• F7CC48F3-6777-49B6-AD37-A5BD345999E3.jpeg
    F7CC48F3-6777-49B6-AD37-A5BD345999E3.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 451
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 473

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If it's not raised or bothering him then probably not a worry. They look like pigmentation to me usually from sunbathing especially in the Australian sun it can be a bit harsh :) it isn't much to worry about but just try minimise the direct sun exposure. I know our boy loves the hot Aussie sun and just can't get enough.
A good option I have heard is people get the UV window stickers to help block out the direct sun but still let's then bake a little. We also have a cat safe sunscreen at home by Dr Zoo (Australian brand so a lot of chemists and pet stores stock it) for his ears/nose/neck when he's outside or in the sun for long period of time and he has a few light cotton shirts for sun safety haha

Yoda mom

Staff member
My two Darker boys get pigmentation spotting
My light colored boy and girl have no pigmentation spots

Does the discoloration spotting come off with warm wash cloth / coconut oil or during Baths?

For peace of mind always best to check with your vet
How old is your baby ?

Alex68

Lairian
HI, I adopted this girl and to keep her skin nice and soft, I applied coconut oil daily. She loves the sun and sleeps in the sun from 8am till about midday. Now I live in United Arab Emirates, so the sun is very hot. But thought as I have dark film on all my windows she would not suffer. THis was going on for 3-4 weeks. I saw her patches getting bigger and darker. Now I have been covering the windows from sunlight but she looks like this. Initially she also had rash but it disappeared. her skin has also become thicker. Before and after pictures. Comments are welcome if you have seen this before, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20190524_075504.jpg
    20190524_075504.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 392
  • 20190525_122807.jpg
    20190525_122807.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 330
  • 20190727_065436.jpg
    20190727_065436.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 380

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Alex68 welcome to sphynxlair! What a beautiful girl she is. How old is she? And she is a seal point right?

Seal points get darker when they grow older. They darken up by the patches your girl has. It's not caused by sun. It's an adventure to see how she turn out in colour by time.

I had a seal point too and you can see the difference in colour in a few months time

Here her body is still very pink

20180825_154122.jpg

Here you see she gets dark patches, and you see how much darker her face got.

20181218_140708.jpg

JojoCatMama

Lairian
I agree with the others - the spots just look like they’re from the sun! Merlin also gets these, even with the UV film we put on the windows.

At first it used to worry me, but they’re harmless! For peace of mind I would put film on the windows where your cat especially likes to sit.

Alex68

Lairian
@Alex68 welcome to sphynxlair! What a beautiful girl she is. How old is she? And she is a seal point right?

Seal points get darker when they grow older. They darken up by the patches your girl has. It's not caused by sun. It's an adventure to see how she turn out in colour by time.

I had a seal point too and you can see the difference in colour in a few months time

View attachment 94569

View attachment 94570
Not sure I replied

View attachment 94569

View attachment 94570
Hi, cant see my reply from last week. Not sure it got sent. Just wanted to say thank you and I am relieved. I think she is changing color. She is 1.5 years old. And bit of brown from the sun maybe on top of that.
Thank you!

bmac60

Lairian
I have a black sphynx with spots like that. Most of it is pigment. He had a lot around his ears, and when I switched his food for allergies, those ones cleared up. But he has random ones like that on his body that I believe is just pigment.

Back