Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dark spots at birth

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
Hi! I’m new to this forum although I’ve learned a lot just reading from you all over the years. I got my first Sphynx about 4 months ago she’s a ginger and perfect. Great breeder great experience.
Now for my concern... got my 2nd today from a different breeder... horrible experience to say the least. Anyways I have him home he’s sick he has a cold green snot he’s skinny but very playful... anyways he’s quarantined till tomorrow or tues morning when he sees the vet.
Now my other concern is he was BORN with dark spot like big flat dark freckles... all shapes and sizes all over him. Has anyone heard of this? He is black and so are his spots...

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely keep him quarantined. It could be ringworm. Not trying to scare you, but thus can be contagious to people. Have your vet test for it. If your vet is not familiar with the breed they might not know it can look very different on Hairless animals. Please update us.

Hoping your baby gets the right meds for the respiratory issues. @gingersndvgiggy

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy welcome to sphynxlair. Congratulations with your second sphynx! Sorry your baby is dealing with health issues. It's good to keep him quaratined till the vet saw him.

Do you have a pic of your sphynx with the spots/freckles? Did the other kittens of the litter have the same spots?

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
Hi hope these are good photos for you to accurately see. They are flat no red no itch no difference then the ones humans get from what I can see... he’s from a different breeder. He’s definitely not as healthy looking as my first... sad. But he has his vet appointment in the morning and I’ve chatted with the vet twice today and they don’t seem too concerned yet so that’s good.

Attachments

• D94A0AE8-3288-48C6-B289-5C05F046F244.jpeg
    D94A0AE8-3288-48C6-B289-5C05F046F244.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 85
  • E0A48F23-B3EA-4C03-8FC2-4429ADAD6ED9.jpeg
    E0A48F23-B3EA-4C03-8FC2-4429ADAD6ED9.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 86

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy good to hear you're going to the vet this morning. They look like normal birthmarks to me. But I'm sure no expert!
Hopefully your boy will be healthy and strong soon now he gets your good care and love.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy
Thank you for keeping us updated
Head smooches sent

My dark Sphynx has one 1/4 pigmented spot too - on the middle of his back-
Like s big freckle - not ringworm

( may be ringworm pics @Yoora recemtly posted pics
here is a search result

Search Results for Query: Ringworm | Sphynxlair

Are you seeing more spots?
If so make sure to let your vet know
And keep isolated
Is the vet confident it is freckles ? Did vet test for ringworm ?

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@GingerandGiggy shoot it was over 15 years ago and I do not have any pics handy. Did your vet try using a black light to check? It does not catch it 100% of the time. Any new scabs showing up? It might not be ringworm, but your freckles are exactly what our older spots from ringworm looked like. A freckle or 2 is normal, but many are not.

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
@GingerandGiggy shoot it was over 15 years ago and I do not have any pics handy. Did your vet try using a black light to check? It does not catch it 100% of the time. Any new scabs showing up? It might not be ringworm, but your freckles are exactly what our older spots from ringworm looked like. A freckle or 2 is normal, but many are not.
Hes

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
He’s there at the vet now I’ll have them double check. There were never shabby or red or flaky just dark freckles. And yes they black lighted him and nothing glowed but we will get him checked again:)

Last edited:

GingerandGiggy

Lairian

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
No no new spots at all and the ones he has have not changed at all.. he had some issues so he’s been seen my 2 vets and neither were concerned with his skin but I’m gonna have them check again while he’s there now:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy All paws crossed for his other issues - if you like you can post in a separate thread for members to chime in with support and their experiences
Do they think he has a URI (upper respiratory infection - i.e. Green snot )

Good news no new spots :)
did vet do the light test to rule out ringworm ?

my dark Sphynx has has one 1/4 freckle

(We have seen dark Sphynx seem to get more freckle pigmentation )

Last edited:

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
@GingerandGiggy All paws crossed for his other issues - if you like you can post in a separate thread for members to chime in with support and their experiences
Do they think he has a URI (upper respiratory infection - i.e. Green snot )

Good news no new spots :)
did vet do the light test to rule out ringworm ?

my dark Sphynx has has one 1/4 freckle

(We have seen dark Sphynx seem to get more freckle pigmentation )

GingerandGiggy

Lairian
Hi yes they think so... definitely green snot and weeding... he actually was admitted last night he spiked a temp of 107 so I rushed him in.. they put him on IV fluids and antibiotics and his fever broke at midnight... he’s good today no temp eating good but his regular vet wanted to keep him to monitor that’s how I’m able to have his spots check again... super stressful and I’m running on no sleep... but sounds like he’s on the mend... hey maybe I have the first freckled Baby Sphynx lol thank you all for being so kind and not judging... I’m on some Sphynx sites and ppl are just so mean:(
What do you mean about posting this to another page? I’m new lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy
A lair full of healing vibes from this fun friendly bunch
(the lair is my only social media )

So please be sure to update of the here for us - we worry like ome of our own
All paws not just Sphynx are lair family here

Big hugs to you For strength and some, rest too while your baby heals

So glad the Fever went down! Look forward to positve updates
Love amd prayers sent

You can post a new thread for URI questions for others to chime in simce the title will pop as a separate topic
Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition

Just open and post

'My goodness you need to get some rest too
We are here for you
((hugs))) and healing head smooches

Please please keep us updated

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@GingerandGiggy sorry to hear his temps were so high. But glad to hear he's on the mend now. Keeping my fingers crossed and sending lots of healing vibes.

Somehow people on internetsites have fun in being mean. Just ignore those people! You're being a great sphynx mommy and you're doing the best you can. Luckly here on sphynxlair there are only kind people.

Back