Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Darth Sidious (Sid)

FlyingClog

Lairian
Hi all

Picking up a 10 month old male next week who does not get on with its siblings or other cats
In the house.

Seen him a few times now and he has a lovely nature and seems to take his pleasure from sleeping and chasing hair scrunchies.

My wife has a dog (10 year old English Springer) so curious to see how both do !

Not going crazy with “stuff” for my boy just incase he does not settle - but am very hopeful

Any tips welcome.

4c31ea09-9293-4e14-9acd-47460de950ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. Best tips I can give you is to really take things slowly. Many just rush and it is not worth it in some cases. 2 weeks is the minimum amount of time I would take to introduce to the dog. Get Feliway diffusers. Be sure to,have a couple of cat trees so the cat has verticals space/area to feel safe and watch. Keep us updated.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @FlyingClog and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! Please enjoy the community! :)

FlyingClog

Lairian
Welcome to Sphynxlair. Best tips I can give you is to really take things slowly. Many just rush and it is not worth it in some cases. 2 weeks is the minimum amount of time I would take to introduce to the dog. Get Feliway diffusers. Be sure to,have a couple of cat trees so the cat has verticals space/area to feel safe and watch. Keep us updated.
Good advice - thank you.

If we have to leave them alone in the first week then I plan to keep the dog in the living room / kitchen and the cat in the hall / upstairs.
Plenty of room to run around in and not cause death and destruction to stuff or each other !
Will get scratching poles and cat trees for sure !

Yoda mom

Staff member
@FlyingClog so excited for you! great advice given on slow intros
I have all adoptees and dogs... PM me anytime for tips

I always set up a kitty safe room slow meet n greets and swapping free roaming , cross scenting towels placed by their food dishes. I keep dogs leashed with me inside when working on slow transitions going at their comfort level, lots of calm talk praise and treats rewarding good behavior interactions.

following closely for updates :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@FlyingClog welcome to sphynxlair. What a handsome cutie he is! Great you're goimg to give it a try with him. Hopefully with slow introductions they will get along fine.
@alandsim had a very slow introduction between sphynx and dog and that worked really well! Maybe thry can share some tips?

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@FlyingClog He is beautiful! I hope it goes well. I have a 3 year old Goldendoodle and just started introducing our new Sphynx kitten to her slowly. They are getting along really well in the four weeks that we have had them together. The dob loved the kitten right away, and the kitten was leary of the dog for about 1-2 weeks.

MeadowThorne

Lairian
Cardboard scratcher in every room and let them eat near each other but not super close. The dog breed you have can handle a sphynx they'd probably will be sleeping in each other n chasing each other playing in short time . Good Lucian congratulations

FlyingClog

Lairian
Thanks all for the welcome and kind, helpful words.

So the plan is to pick up the essentials Thursday from my local pet store (sadly we don’t have huge pet superstores like the US or UK have) - litterbox, silicone litter, Royal Canin Spynx food, scratch posts, cat trees, blankets, a basket or two and a few toys.

Next is Friday evening pick up Sid and bring him home. First I’ll let the dog have a sniff of the cat in his basket, then, hold the cat etc etc. The dog usually sleeps on the bed - so will the to put the cat in his basket in the lounge but want to understand his current sleeping arrangements so his routine is not too “out of the norm”.

I’ll then use the weekend to integrate the two guys as much as possible and then take steps during the week - I work from home - keeping the dog downstairs and the cat upstairs with me.

Although the cat comes with a fully up to date Pet Passport - I have a vet checkup already booked and will - assuming things work out - get him castrated - no plans on breading and it may also help calm him if things are not harmonious.

Fingers crossed this all works out and we all (literally !) live happily ever after.

FlyingClog

Lairian
So 1 day down and have to say Sid is doing really well.
Using his litter tray (not sure how so much poo can be generated by such a small thing !)
Eating and drinking well and exploring the house.

He hates the dog - hisses and growls but we’re making slow progress and luckily the weather is good so the dog can play outside.

Will take him for a check up in a few weeks and his annual shots - check one eye which seems to be weeping and irritates him - and have to say he has massive testicles - is this normal for the breed ?

Anyway - so far so good !

IMG_1006.JPG

Beckinboots

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Rankle was entire when he came to live with me. When he went in to have his pockets picked the vet said he had the biggest cajones she'd ever seen on a cat, but that may be because they're hairless you can see everything whereas things are more covered on a furry cat.

Glad to hear Sid is settling in well. I'm sure he and the dog will be fast friends in no time.

FlyingClog

Lairian
Todays update. Sid is settling in fast and starting to bounce off of everything.

He seems more of an afternoon / evening cat when he comes alive !

First day at work tomorrow since picking him up so that should be interesting !

Thanks all for tips and advice so far

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear Sid is settling in fast. Sid will do well when you're at work, probably sleeps the day away. Although I still remember all too well how much I worried on my first day of work after gotcha day. So hang in there!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratz on Sid! So stunning! Your life will never be the same again... {=

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome & Congratulations on Sid @FlyingClog He's just beautiful! {= How are things going with the dog? Less hissing and growling yet? Sounds like he's settling in brilliantly anyway :)

I admit I had a chuckle at your observation about his (not so) private parts! :ROFLMAO: I was also surprised to see how big they get, but agree with @Beckinboots that the lack of fur has a lot to do with it, and they're probably same size on any cat! Are you planning on having him neutered?

FlyingClog

Lairian
Welcome & Congratulations on Sid @FlyingClog He's just beautiful! {= How are things going with the dog? Less hissing and growling yet? Sounds like he's settling in brilliantly anyway :)

I admit I had a chuckle at your observation about his (not so) private parts! :ROFLMAO: I was also surprised to see how big they get, but agree with @Beckinboots that the lack of fur has a lot to do with it, and they're probably same size on any cat! Are you planning on having him neutered?
Thanks Cinfina

Each day is a little better thanks. They give each other a healthy distance but the cat is get bold and pushing the boundaries each day.
The dog is so passive and young Sidious so like the rebellious teenager - but we’ll see